UK theme parks from another point of view!

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen Preview Weekend: 12-14 March 2010

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

Damn, how incredibly annoying.
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 am

Bit of a disappointment. I think they should give us more than 1 fast track each ;)

Was really looking forward to the weekend. Now I've got the day booked off work for nothing.

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 am

I've booked 3 days off work which we're my only ones left. Thats really messed up a lot for me :cry:

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 am

Well thats my weekend ruined, upset and angry about this. They should have had plans other than cancel the event for if the ride wasn't going to be ready, so in my opinion it's pathetic. The ride could have broken on the day, then what would they have done, just sent us home? I've been looking forward to this for months, it was my birthday present, and now it's not happening. They can expect to receive my letter of complaint, that's for sure. Not happy.

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 am

Gutted for all you guys. :(
I guess it's a difficult decision for AT though.
From a business point of view they could have gone ahead with this and not shown you the secret weapon, or given you the opportunity to ride. Which some people would probably find more annoying than cancelling completely.
It's a tricky one.
I guess at least an evening with John Wardley and behind the Scenes is still on the cards, at some point.

nickn5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Yep I'm pretty annoyed really as it was my wife and I's first time at Alton Towers Hotel plus our wedding anniversary...

But these things do happen unfortunately - I can see why they wouldn't wish to run the event if the ride is not ready. I do wonder whether it will even be ready for the 20th of March though.

I think a FastTrack each and an evening later in the year with John Wardley, plus behind the scenes of Thirteen and exclusive merchandise, assuming it is at no extra cost (EDIT: It is, I just noticed the word 'complimentary'), is a fair compensation for the cancellation really. What most irks me is missing out on behind the scenes of Hex and Rita as well! #-o

Guess I'll have to make absolutely sure I make it bright and early on the 20th now...
Last edited by nickn5 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Just a thought. Wasn't it stated that they were only booking the Thirteen weekend guests into ATH?

Does that now mean they're going to have an empty hotel for the weekend?

Would be nice if they offered us discounted rooms for that weekend (£10ppn?). So those who had arranged time off could at least go and use the available facilities.

Chris-TT
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:06 pm

This is rediculous. We knew there was always a good chance we wouldn't get to ride. A ride would have been nice, but was never the highlight of the event.

I for one am writing a complaint letter.

My time along with a lot if others I'd imagine is valuable. I had this weekend booked off for months and because of it I've had to turn down family events including a wedding, and reschedule project milestones at work.
Not happy at all.

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 pm

I will also be complaining about this, I was really looking forward to the behind the scenes tours and having the talks, and just generally being there. I would be made up just to do that regardless of going on Th13teen or not. What an absolute letdown.

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

"Stu" wrote:
Dunno what to say really...

feel sorry for the Towers project team... they have had a hard time with the snow and weather which has put this project timeframe at a major strain... though if the main part of the ride is having problems and needs sorting, then means no preview weekend which is fair enough. I'm sure their all gutted and will do something in the future...

I fully agree with this, however I am annoyed that the bootcampers haven't been cancelled, I don't understand how they can still go ahead with it and we can't, I wasn't even bothered about riding I just wanted the tour n the talks etc so to cancel just because they can't offer us a ride is a real kick in the teeth for me :(

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Given that the original intinerary suggested a ride on Thirteen was not guaranteed and at one point changed to Not included, I don't really understand why the whole event has to be cancelled just because the ride is not yet ready. While I understand that it wouldn't be quite right getting a behind the scenes tour and finding out what the 'Secret' is before riding it, that was what the original intinerary was, and a lot of people booked knowing that.

I am rather unhappy with the situation. I feel it could also be a bit of a PR disaster for Towers as well.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 pm

"Vik" wrote:

I am rather unhappy with the situation. I feel it could also be a bit of a PR disaster for Towers as well.

Absolutely, tons of people are going to hear about this. Compensation should be a full behind the scenes tour of as many rides as possible (taking maintenance works into account) with the 2 night stay and all the extras. I would be perfectly fine that, and I think most people on the forum would agree on that.

Do I really want to ring up work and cancel my weekend off : (

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't think anything has been confirmed about bootcampers yet though has it?
IF the ride will be ready for press days from the 18th, I expect boot campers will ride then.
I doubt cancelling the Th13teen weekend is something the management have taken lightly.
Imagine how much preparation that has already gone into it, and how much revenue they will lose by completely cancelling. Like Dagan mentioned, ATH as it currently stands will be completely empty for the weekend.

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Basically, it was always planned for us to go on the ride (unless something major happened on the day).

John W wanted to do his talk, blah blah, the area of the ride is still a construction area and no visitors are allowed on the area or something.

The ride's not ready, so John W won't do his talk as were not even allowed to look around the ride because it's off limits, so event canceled.

They wanted us to have a VIP weekend of 13 and we can't even get near the ride. So the event is off, which I'm sure the whole team is gutted about. It did say in T&C's the event can be canceled at any time, so no leg to stand on that sadly.

I feel gutted for the team and hear it's going to be a push to get the ride ready for opening. Also the boot campers may do their "ride" on the opening morning it's that tight.
Last edited by Stu on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickn5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 pm

"Vik" wrote:
Given that the original intinerary suggested a ride on Thirteen was not guguaranteed and at one point changed to Not included, I don't really understand why the whole event has to be cancelled just because the ride is not yet ready.

Yes I think Vik you've summed it up well - cancelling the event because of something not able to happen that we didn't expect would happen anyway seems strange - maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. Like the postponed bootcamp, would that have any bearing on things, I wonder.

Jnewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 pm

what a load of BULL!

Annoyance!

Jon
42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!

Craig

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Just to remind everyone, as annoying as this may be for those that are attending, can we keep bad language off the forums please.

Jnewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Just annoyed i had to book TWO days off work for this and cancel a birthday , i don't think its right to cancel and event a week before it happens , thats not acceptable im my personal oppinion

Jon

42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

"Stu" wrote:

The ride's not ready.. so John W wont do his talk as were not even allwoed to look around the ride coz it's off limits... so event canceled...

This is a good point. As they have a lot more work to do in the area now, H&S probably wont allow guests to enter the construction site. remember H&S in this country can be ridiculous.
Would it be worth continuing the event if you weren't even allowed into the Dark Forest area?
And perhaps the whole Saturday night talk was based around the secret weapon technology, which would be pointless if nobody has seen it, let alone ridden it that day.

Don't get me wrong, I would be as disappointed as everyone else if I was meant to be attending, but looking at it from a logical point of view I think there could potentially be a lot more complaints from people who had spent hundreds of pounds attending, then have the itinerary reduced to the point that it's not really relevant to Th13teen.

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Wow. I really am truly gutted for you guys. It does seem very odd, considering the t&cs always implied that the weekend would go ahead, even without an opportunity to offer a ride. At one point even seeming to suggest that there almost certainly wouldn't be a ride. This is all very odd.

Bad form :|
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride