UK theme parks from another point of view!

Craig

Re: Th13teen Preview Weekend: 12-14 March 2010

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Pretty much agree with you there Dylan. Although some may want to attend just for the behind the scenes elements of other rides, its advertised as a Th13teen preview weekend. If guests aren't allowed to enter the Dark Forest area due it not being handed over, that pretty much ruins what the weekend was for for many.

If schedules are tight, which they seem to be, they probably couldn't have afforded to have the day of downtime whilst guests are on park touring the site.

They've had to think of the bigger picture when considering canceling the event. The majority of guests would be pretty annoyed at the lack of Th13teen and Dark Forest being included. It could've turned out to be a nightmare in terms of complaints if they allowed it to go ahead.

It's nice that they've offered the evening as compensation, although I still think a decision should have possibly be made long before now.

daniel_1431
TT Member
TT Member

I am also not happy about this. I know in the T&C's it says it can be canceled but its a weeks notice which is somewhat quite short. As many people on this forum have stated that we booked knowing that we might not even get a ride on TH13TEEN which is why I am shocked that it has been canceled...
We get our money back fine but I am quite annoyed by the fact we don't get a whole weekend dedicated to it we get a free small buffet and only a look at TH13TEEN and a priority pass for 1 day throughout the season.
Ah well.. I shall be a bit more dubious about booking for something as good as this.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Maybe it's a publicity stunt :P

Joking aside though, it is a bad situation of events to take place. Something we have all been looking forward to for a while now snatched from under our noses with just a week to go.

People have booked holidays so they can go, and some of us have turned down other invitations so we can attend. Regardless of whether it was stated that the event can be cancelled at any time, people still have the right to be rather annoyed that it has been cancelled and thus ruined a weekend.

Unfortunately, at this present time, I do not have much sympathy for those who organised it, regardless of the reasons why the weekend has been cancelled.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Jnewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 pm

yea thats whats made me annoyed , i think a weeks notice to cancel is not acceptable , i take it Vik you will be writing to complain?
42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!

Russell
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Wow, what a kick in the teeth :(

Fair enough that it's not ready but as many others have said this was about more than just a ride on Thirteen. I was really looking forward to the behind the scenes tour on other rides and especially John's talk but I guess that would have been irrelevant if we couldn't even see the ride or Dark Forrest. I think it's nice that we are being offered a complimentary evening but that really isn't a good enough substitute for losing out on a whole weekend. Can't even describe how disappointed I am. :( I'm guessing we can request Fastpasses for open day?

Think I will head down to Thorpe for their preview day instead now. See if they can do any better.
Since April 2008

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:44 pm

I think it's all back fired a bit to be fair...

The plan was for us to do some behind the scenes stuff on Saturday, then surprise us with a ride on Th13teen. Then on Sunday go behind the scenes in the building. So maybe all the changing of text of no ride is 100% was a ploy etc.

Some people would accept the fact if they don't get to ride it - fair enough. The rest with John W etc is good weekend and behind the scenes on other rides is cool.

But I think it was always planned for John W to give his talk on Th13teen and we get to at least see it. But if we can't even see it or get near the ride, then John W isn't happy, mr's marketing not happy.

So instead of continuing with the weekend being cut back with only certain behind the scenes, no John W talk etc and have people moan/complain that you didn't get your money's worth. I think towers have done the right thing to refund full cost, offer free tickets and also still offer a talk/behind scenes and meal for FREE as extra?

Again I'm sure they have not taken this lightly. They had a lot planned for us. Hotel changes, theming, a lovely presentation for us and so on. We were their main priority over the bootcamp but no one would listen.

It's a big shame - yes maybe they should have canceled the event a bit sooner to avoid problems and last minute cancellation. But I think they were hoping to get the "issue" sorted with the "secret weapon" for us, or even maybe for us to be on site to look at the damn thing.

Yes I'm gutted the weekend is canceled, I still may have still gone even if there was no talk with John W and no 13 preview/ride and they offered more behind the scenes stuff and so on. But that makes a mockery of it being 13's preview weekend, so managers called it off and want to offer something else which is good and for free as a sorry.
Last edited by Stu on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel_1431
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 pm

They will be overloaded with complaint letters but oh well. Yeah I also booked this off as on Sunday 14th its my 21st birthday. Looks like a boycott to Thorpe Park i am feeling...
I agree with Vik on this one that it is bad, yes it did state in T&C but with only a week to go. Need to plan my 21st again now...

AstroDan

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Absolutely gutted. I am also upset that the weekend has been canceled entirely as I have been really, really looking forward to this. I understand there are problems with the ride, but I would have loved something offered instead as now there's nothing planned.

Oh... wait...

Pleasure Beach or Thorpe, anyone?

:?

:| :( :(

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 pm

I really really think AT should do the weekend as a full behind the scenes tour instead with the meals and Hotel/waterpark/golf. I wouldn't complain about that, i'd be really happy, even though it might be difficult to do with the rides being maintained for the new season. Alton are going to get blitzed with bad press for this.

Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends.
Right.
Last edited by Zylos on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

daniel_1431
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Absolutely gutted. I am also upset that the weekend has been canceled entirely as I have been really, really looking forward to this.

Pleasure Beach or Thorpe, anyone?

:?

:| :( :(

Could not agree more. I am thinking Thorpe Park for the Annual Pass day which hopefully Saw Alive will be open unless they are having problems too. I am never trusting Merlin when it comes to visiting them for my birthday. Last year we had Saw break down on my birthday when we were about to go on it. This year TH13TEEN preview weekend has been canceled which is also on my birthday. Not having much luck really... TH13TEEN unlucky for some? I think so... :evil:

AstroDan

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 pm

I would still be keen to spend the weekend at AT potentially (obviously for a reduced fee). Keep the rooms, keep the meals, keep water park/golf and open Forbidden Valley for a few hours on the Saturday? Add some backstage?

:shock:

daniel_1431
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Yeah i think I would to be honest with you but I can not see that happening. Mind you they did say that they would get back in touch within 5-7 days...

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Th13teen Preview Weekend: CANCELLED

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Absolutely Astro, if there was anyway that could happen that would really make my day and take a load of my mind, and im sure everyone else would prefer that to a simple refund to avoid complications with work and cancellations. I have a 2 hour CAD exam at Uni now. I hope to god I hear some good news later, probably being a bit too optimistic though.
We can only hope.
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
I would still be keen to spend the weekend at AT potentially (obviously for a reduced fee). Keep the rooms, keep the meals, keep water park/golf and open Forbidden Valley for a few hours on the Saturday? Add some backstage?

:shock:

As would I, just something for the weekend. It' something that we've all been looking forward to for 3 months now, and they've effectively taken it away from us. Ok, there's this complimentary evening, but that might be on a date then people can't make, meaning that all has been lost. It would still have been a good weekend if they let us stay at the hotels, and done a general behind the scenes of the park event, let us on a few rides and so on. But then, due to them cancelling it so late, they might not have time to organise this for us. I'm still not at all happy.

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 pm

If towers are reading this...

You have a fully empty ATH hotel now... get some discount rooms for us say £50 a room... give us waterpark/golf and saturday night meal and breakfast and a few hours backstage... and stop us from going to Thorpe Park. LMAO!
Last edited by Stu on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkidreamer
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm

I am so so GUTTED that this has been cancelled - and to be honest I wish it hadnt - I know for a fact my group would have been happy with the weekend as stated, minus the ride, even just having a look around the site without going in.

We are planning to go on the 20th March anyway for a ride, in full anticipation that we wouldnt be able to ride at the weekend.

There was so many other things to do for the weekend that although a tad disappointing, we would have filled the time doing many other things.

Absoultly gutted, and a week before too. I feel like a fool cause I've been bragging about this weekend since we booked months and month ago, now I've got to tell everyone its not happening. Not happy AT, not happy at all.

Boooooo!

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I really would love to just go to the hotel next weekend, it would have been my first time staying over as well, so i'm extra gutted about that :(! I don't see why they wouldn't let us if we spoke to the right person cause they were planning to have us all in the hotel anyway! hmmm if only I knew someone in charge. I wouldn't contact Morwenna she possibly read the comments about her talk being a 'tomato throwing session'... hmmm I bet thats why its cancelled, she was worried about the tomato's :wink:

nickn5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 pm

"Stu" wrote:
If towers are reading this...

You have a fully empty ATH hotel now... get some discount rooms for us say £50 a room... give us waterpark/golf and saturday night meal and breakfast and a few hours backstage... and stop us from going to Thorpe Park. LMAO!

I'll second that!

Chris-TT

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Personally I think they should have offered us all a full refund, invited us all to stay the Friday night in the hotel for free, and thrown in a behind the scenes tour on the Saturday for a couple of attractions.
Alton Towers also could have given us the option of a discounted nights stay on the Saturday night.
This way they would have still made money out of food/drinks/hotel attractions from us and we would all still have something to look forwards to.

Right now I have a total void in my schedule for that weekend. I think the notice period the cancel the entire event is unacceptable. I had to choose between going to this event and the opening weekend, if we had been notified earlier I could have made alternate arrangements to attend the following week.

Jnewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 pm

"Chris-TT" wrote:

Right now I have a total void in my schedule for that weekend. I think the notice period the cancel the entire event is unacceptable. I had to choose between going to this event and the opening weekend, if we had been notified earlier I could have made alternate arrangements to attend the following week.

Exacly my thoughts on the situation! ,

4 posts in one day i must be annoyed ! :D

42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!