UK theme parks from another point of view!

tristan_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

New member! 21st / 22nd April trip!

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 am

Hi folks,
This is my first post although been following the forum for quite a while (great forum).
Im from Northern Ireland and usually make the annual pilgrimage to AT once a year at Halloween. However with Thirteen's arrival this year and a very persuasive girlfriend, we are travelling over next week! So excited!
I have accomadation booked (after trying a few places due to being fully booked), but out of interest went of the AT website to see what the AT hotels were charging and they are fully booked also! I thought this would be a quiet time to visit? Is there something going on at AT that means its likely to be busy?
Thanks for any info!

danny13
TT Member
TT Member

Re: New member! 21st / 22nd April trip!

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 am

I don't think anythng is going on. Schools are back in and it is in the weekdays so that is puzzling!

Deleted
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:17 am

Try lastminute.com

waj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi we are also going on those days and we wanted to stay in the hotels but when i phoned they told us there was a confrence on for 2days and they had pre booked the hotels out. She also said it wouldnt be likely they would be visiting the park so hope its quiet lol

also can i ask whereu ended up staying and where is booked out we are still looking :P ? ta

tristan_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Cheers for the info Waj (+1 rep), relieved that its only a conference!
Yeah we usually stay in Heywood Hall, really love that place but unfortunately it was booked out.
So we have ended up giving 'The Warren' a shot. I tend to use Trip Advisor.com anywhere i go and its pretty good for the Alton area.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g504148-c2-Alton_Staffordshire_England-Hotels.html
Hope you find somewhere, and have a great day. Here's to hoping its a quiet one :D

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:18 pm

"waj" wrote:
Hi we are also going on those days and we wanted to stay in the hotels but when i phoned they told us there was a confrence on for 2days and they had pre booked the hotels out. She also said it wouldnt be likely they would be visiting the park so hope its quiet lol

also can i ask whereu ended up staying and where is booked out we are still looking :P ? ta

Why on earth would you book a conference at alton towers, and not go near the coasters? ;)

tamtam86
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I usually stay at Peakstones Inn if I don't stay at one of the hotels. It's really friendly there and only about 5 minutes from the park.

Nicola
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Even though I know it's unlikely that it'll actually happen in this way, I am really enjoying the image of a load of people with suits and briefcases running around the park :lol:

waj
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:30 pm

"Nicola" wrote:
Even though I know it's unlikely that it'll actually happen in this way, I am really enjoying the image of a load of people with suits and briefcases running around the park

haha yeh i know! im not sure thats just what the girl on the phone said because they have booked out the large conference room for a full 2 days im sure they will be in park at somepoint lol

we ended up opting for log cabins at raddle inn with hotubs :P

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

if the both hotels are fully booked thats a practical maximum of around 800 people, that barely makes a dent on the towers admission which can easily cope with 10,000 before becoming remotely busy. So i wouldn;t worry if the conference does go on park.

tristan_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

TRIP REPORT!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi Folks,
Got back this morning from our two day trip to Alton Towers! Now having caught up on sleep i can share my experience.
Was it busy? Yes, busier than expected. But in saying that, our maximum queue was 40 mins for thirteen.
Our first day we got ERT on Spinball and about 5 goes on Oblivion before heading up to wait for the Dark Forest to open. Pretty impressed with the Dark Forest area, nicely themed and the wraiths were out in force (they totally freak out my girlfriend which i find most funny!) We were in the first train of the day for thirteen. After we got of i couldn’t help but feel slightly let down. Its not the 'Ultimate Rollercoaster' as its marketed. Definitely good fun, but not in the same league as Nemesis, but then Alton Towers didn’t mean it to be, more of a family coaster. We rode everything else that day at least once.
Second day we had ERT on Nemesis X8 and Air X5, love it! Great first hour and we were both knackered after an hour. 3 more rides on Thirteen, to which i can say really is starting to grow on me. Its great fun and seems better every time i got on it, just forget the hype! Went round all the other rides again and had a great 2nd day.
Bought a batch of merchandise, including the new Monopoly (which i just kicked her ass at!), and then headed off for the long drive back to Belfast.
Overall great trip as always, cant wait to go back for Scarefest!

AstroDan

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds great and also sounds like Spinball is now a permanent fixture for ERT!

:)

Mick
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 am

^That's good news, would like to ride it, but not enough to be bothered queuing up in the fabled queues it gets. As we have ERT, I was just gonna miss it but if it's gonna be open first thing we'll have to have a shufty.

Pleased to hear that Air is making an ERT appearance too - will have to do forbidden valley for ERT on second day.

(We're going next week mid-week for two days. Can't wait :)))
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!

tristan_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:23 am

Sorry Mick, just realised how i worded thatabove a bit wrong. Air was not open for ERT, we had 8 goes on Nemesis then headed over to Air at about 0945 and it was open then so we got 5 rounds squeezed in before the crowds started :) But it wasnt open at 0900 for ERT, would be cool if it was.

Mick
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:23 pm

^No worries - at least I know now that rides tend to open before 10.00am.

You got five goes on Air in around 15mins? That's incredible going! Do they just let you stay on if there is no queue, or do you have to run around again?

I've never done ERT before - does anyone else have any other tips?
PS Does anyone know when the collection booth opens as I've tickets to collect on the first day?

Muchly cheers to you all :D

tristan_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm

5 goes on Air took around half an hour, it was about 1020 before the crowds had made their way up to Air / Nemesis, so we left it at that.
They dont let you stay on which is a major pain as many times they just had empty trains carraiges going round! Dont understand the logic behind not letting folks stay on when there is zero que, but im sure they have a reason!
Cant help you on information regarding time for collecting tickets, sorry.
Best tip for ERT - Head to Air / Nemesis. Everyone else seems to head for Sonic / Oblivion on the way to Thirteen to wait for it to open at 10!
Let us know how you get on.

Mick
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 am

Cheers, I reckon we'll do that. We can catch Oblivion at any point for a few goes, and I'm not that bothered if we miss spinball. As long as we get one ride on it over the two days it's fine. Now.. do we hoar the rides on the first day and take it easy/take in the sights/take time over sharkbait reef etc. on the second day (with a few goes on Nemesis anyways); or do we do that in reverse? Decisions, decisions!

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:30 am

^

Always do the hoaring the first day.

Just in case anything stops you doing all that you want ;)