UK theme parks from another point of view!

Was this helpful?

Poll runs till Sun Jul 28, 2052 12:16 am

yes
3 (33%)
no
2 (22%)
a little
2 (22%)
LOADS THANKS!
2 (22%)

Total votes: 9

hshlx
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

how to get there from Sheffield, nottingham etc.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm

its took me a good few hours but i have finally found a way.
From Sheffield: Catch a train to Nottingham train station
The do the 2 min walk to the Broadmarsh Bus station to Bay 1
From here the X52 comes ONCE DAILY at 9am

It also stops at - To Alton Towers
9:00 - Broadmarsh Bus Station (Nottingham)
9:10 - Queen's Medical Centre (Nottingham)
9:40 - Derby Full St
9:50 - Kirk Langley
10:05 - Mayfield
10:30 - Alton Towers Resort

Returning: The X52 leaves the park at 5.30 (get there at 5.15 to be safe)
It returns at..

From Alton Towers
17:30 - Alton Towers Resort
17:55 - Mayfield
18:10 - Kirk Langley
18:20 - Derby Full St
18:25 - Derby Railway Station
18:50 - Queen's Medical Centre (Nottingham)
19:00 - Broadmarsh Bus Station (Nottingham)

It runs everyday of the season. Tickets bought on the bus and change given. ALSO IT FIRST COME FIRST SERVED SO GET THERE EARLY! THERE IS NO WAY TO BUY TICKETS BEFOREHAND. ON BUSY DAYS THEY MAY RARELY PROVIDE TWO BUSES.

It leaves from bus bay 1 at the bus station, the first you come to if you are getting there through the underground passage from the Broadmarsh Centre. It leaves Alton Towers from the bus stop just outside the entrance plaza. I would advise getting there at 5:20 at the latest, just in case.

Prices including park tickets (not compatible with any other offer)

Adult - £39
Child - £30 APPROX.

Prices not including park tickets from Nottingham

Adult Return - £12 There is NO OTHER PRICES NOW ITS ALL £12 NO STUDENT/DISABLED FEES.
Child Return - £9

Single tickets are available though the leaflet I have doesn't mention how much they are and I can't remember. I'll check next time I get one and update this post but it's five pound something. Source: Much research and speaking to the transport of alton towers service there number is: 01538 704063
HOPE THIS HELPS.

bushboy2

Re: how to get there from Sheffield, nottingham etc.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 pm

You could also get the train from Sheffield via Derby to Uttoxeter, then get the 32A from Uttoxeter station which takes you right to Alton Towers.

Looking at a Saturday, you could leave Sheffield at 9:50 and be in Uttox for 11:05. Then there is a 32A around 11:15 which will get you to Towers for around 11:35.

More buses run during the week with a limited service on Saturday and Sunday.

Prices will vary depending how far in advance you book the train but bus tickets are only a few quid.

Saves sitting on a packed bus for an hour and a half from Nottingham.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:20 am

You'll get no discount for buying in advance on Sheffield - Uttoxeter. (There isn't even any possibility of an advance fare since none are loaded on to the train fare system).

A return fare is normally ~£30 BUT you can use a ticket called a Derbyshire Wayfarer - a day ticket intended for use around Derbyshire but valid as far as Sheffield and Uttoxeter - under a tenner each and even less if you travel in a group.

Details and stuff here: [url=http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/tickets_passes/rover_tickets/derbyshire_wayfarer/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_ ... efault.asp[/url]

The only snag is that it's not valid on rail services until 9am, and there's a convenient CrossCountry service which leaves at something like 0857 - just buy a single from Sheffield - Chesterfield and this will cover that leg of the journey. You may find Sheffield station ticket office staff being an arse about issuing one before 9am - if they do just walk over to the Interchange where they'll gladly sell you one without a fuss.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

how to get there from Sheffield, nottingham etc.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 am

You can get advanced fares by using the split ticket method of Sheffield to Derby then Derby to Uttoxeter. Though no advanced fares between Derby and Uttox (though you can still pre-book tickets) there are plenty available between Sheffield and Derby, for as little as £3.95 one way.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:19 am

£3 is the lowest Advance Ticket price for Sheffield - Derby (good luck finding them though), but lets work with that.

2 x £3 single advance SHF-DBY
1 x £7.50 day return DBY-UTT
=£13.50

1 x £8.90 Derbyshire Wayfarer
1 x £4.30 anytime single SHF-CHD (to override the 9am restriction)
=£13.20

So even if you do find those advance fares on the right trains, you'd still be paying 30p more than you would with a Wayfarer. Don't forget with advance fares you are locked down to those trains - if you miss them (unless it's a fault of the railway network) you're liable to pay for a new ticket.

If travelling on a Saturday the Wayfarer is even cheaper since there's no morning restriction, no need to buy the Chesterfield single.