UK theme parks from another point of view!

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Florida July 2011 - Rollercoaster Thoughts

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:40 pm

I arrived back from Florida this morning and thought I'd make a quick, rare post on TT to detail my thoughts on the new (and old) coasters that I rode whilst there. I'll cut to the chase and get rid of the waffle. ON WE GO.

I'll do them in the order is which they were ridden:

Busch Gardens

Gwazi
Now I forget which side was open and which was closed but we boarded on the right hand of the two stations and were feeling optomistic, with the trains being so comfortable. It's hailed as being (something along the lines of) 'The smoothest way to ride a wooden rollercoaster' on the sign, so this brought more hope. Unfortunately, said hope was viciously ripped to shreds as we tumbled down the first drop and proceeded to go through 3 rounds with Mike tyson, tag teamed by a train. It was quite deeply unpleasant and we made a point of steering very clear of this ride for the rest of the trip.

Kumba:
Kumba is a staple of a trip to Busch Gardens and with a queue of 10 mins, we weren't complaining. It's an excellent ride, full of force, plenty of inversions and doesn't let up. the highlight for me is the zero-g roll, although the zero-g effect is missed out on slightly, due to the fact that it is taken with such speed.

Montu:
Montu is a collosal inverted coaster and once again, a line of 10 minutes made it a must. It is quite intense in spots, althought the heat probably blurs judgement a bit on these things. The first drop is really good and as with (almost) all B&Ms, it was silk smooth.

Cheetah Hunt:
The newest rollercoaster at Busch and the lines went with that. Peaking at 90 mins from what I saw, we hopped in close to the end of the day with it was down to 55. Even though this was a very accurate estimate, the heat (upwards of 95 degrees) made it drag back, and a few confrontations when people got into the cars because they weren't in the row they wanted, or something petty like that, meant it felt even longer. Once onto the ride, it was handsdown the best ride I rode on my visit. The launches are excellently placed, especially the main one into the tower. The tower is much better than expected, and you travel round it much faster than it appears to the eye. The drop off the tower is excellent and leads into the 'chase' section of the ride, which while enjoyable, does begin to drag. The heartline roll does catch you off guard (especially since we rode in the dark) and the trenches are good. One of the highlights of my ride was the launch into the humpback hill, which felt like it had a suprisingly small radius, considering how close it was to the LIMs.

I didn't ride Sheikra because the first time we walked past the queue was 100 mins which I thought was more than a bit excessive and the second because I chickened out. Moving swiftly on :lol:

Sea World

Kraken:
An older coaster now but still enjoyable. Big and swooping into nice long loops and inversions and a good zero-g roll where I could really feel 'the float'. It does shake you about a bit but it's not too bad and my head didn't bang against the restraint, at least not noticeably. The floorless element is fun too, and I think having ridden kumba and kraken, while there was a massive difference, it does make it a bit more exciting to have no floor, despite only being the middle of the train.

Manta:
The other new coaster for me. I feel it's much superior to AiR, while it doesn't provide the kind of floaty flying experience, I much prefer it's swooping dangerous speed and that pretzel loop, it's just madness, in the second row, my vision clouded, so I can only imagine what the backrow is like. A superb addition to Sea World.

And that concludes my poorly, jet-lag, written report, thanks for reading. If you got this far, I'm quite concerned about you :(
Last edited by Matt.C on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Florida July 2011 - Rollercoaster Thoughts

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Nice report, and I agree with you for the most part. I don't rate ShieKra at all, so in my view you didn't miss out on much there.

May I ask if you rode Busch Gardens' Scorpion? It's not a "big" coaster, but I loved it to bits! Schwarzkopf FTW. :P

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Ooooh, Scorpion slipped my mind :D It was good, my dad and sister were a bit freaked by the lap bars but it was all good. Not as intense as I had heard but nonetheless, a nice little credit ;)

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Isn't the new ride at busch gardens called cheetah hunt? Not cheetah chase. I only know this due to the fact I reaaaaallly wanna check out Florida and all the brochures advertise the new ride at bg!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:33 pm

"RustyRider" wrote:
Isn't the new ride at busch gardens called cheetah hunt? Not cheetah chase. I only know this due to the fact I reaaaaallly wanna check out Florida and all the brochures advertise the new ride at bg!

Indeed, though they do also have a coaster called Cheetah Chase, but that's just an off-the-shelf model (Rattlesnake at Chessington) with no theming.

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Apologies, it should read cheetah hunt :oops:

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

The cheetah chase wild mouse coaster as been re-named this year to Sand Serpent so people dont get it confused with the new coaster

NeilHD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:16 pm

FWIW I DO rate Sheikra - a lot! Absolutely love that coaster.