UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
NeilHD
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 295
Joined: March 2010

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 pm

As everyone said, Disney's fast passes are free. Whether you want them at Universal depends on when you're going.

If you do decide to buy some a better option is to stay a night on site at a Universal hotel (I like the Hard Rock Hotel). By staying a single night you get 2 days unlimited express passes (the ones you can buy are valid only once per ride). You also get early entry into Harry Potter. The price of a night in a hotel is about the same price as the express passes for 2 days for 4 people anyway. Plus the Hard Rock Hotel is seriously cool and only about a 10 minute walk from the parks along the river (or get a free water taxi).

The passess are not valid on Forbidden Journey, Rip Ride Rockit, Olivanders and Pternadon Flyers.
 
User avatar
BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 2262
Joined: June 2010
Location: South East Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Well we're going on July 17th and coming back on August 1st, so I think those dates are classed as the high season, but I'm not too sure. We're probably going to go with a Combo Ticket or Flex Ticket.

Which reminds me, which of those two tickets are better?
Last edited by BigAl on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 171
Joined: September 2010
Location: Cheshire

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:02 pm

BigAl wrote:
Nice! Where are you staying and which parks are you visiting? :)


We're staying on I-Drive, a place just opposite Wet 'n' Wild. Park-wise we are going to do pretty much everything (We're going for three weeks) although ironically the only place we aren't planning on going to is Wet 'n' Wild, which is the closest to us!

If you're interested, the way we've done the tickets is to do the Ultimate Discovery Cove package for Sea World and Busch, and at The Co-operative Travel on the high street they had a package which was for the Universal parks and Disney.

We go on the 29th of August so we're hoping it won't be too busy (after Labor Day at least).
 
User avatar
ponder
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 611
Joined: June 2009
Location: Nr Colchester, Essex
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:38 pm

BigAl wrote:
Well we're going on July 17th and coming back on April 1st


That's a LONG holiday ;)
Image

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
 
User avatar
ponder
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 611
Joined: June 2009
Location: Nr Colchester, Essex
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Coaster_Dude wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Nice! Where are you staying and which parks are you visiting? :)


We're staying on I-Drive, a place just opposite Wet 'n' Wild. Park-wise we are going to do pretty much everything (We're going for three weeks) although ironically the only place we aren't planning on going to is Wet 'n' Wild, which is the closest to us!

If you're interested, the way we've done the tickets is to do the Ultimate Discovery Cove package for Sea World and Busch, and at The Co-operative Travel on the high street they had a package which was for the Universal parks and Disney.

We go on the 29th of August so we're hoping it won't be too busy (after Labor Day at least).


Sounds like you're staying at Four Points as well then! Great choice if that's the case. Universal is a 15 minute walk, laugh off shuttles for that and do it at your own leisure. You have an I-ride stop literally at the front of the hotel, and that will take you anywhere up and down I-Drive (red) or to the bottom of I-Drive via Universal Blvd. (green). So for Seaworld for example, try and take a bus on the green route, as you'll get there much quicker (fewer stops, less popular route). Assuming you are at Four Points, and not another nearby hotel, then you'll also be able to use their free Disney shuttle service, which only stops at 1 other hotel, so it's pretty useful. They leave at 8.30 and 10am every morning, and pick you up from EPCOT at 6.30 and 9pm every evening. You have to book in advance, but the night before is normally plenty of notice.

It also sounds as though you're doing exactly the same parks, and with similar tickets (we got the Discovery package with Seaworld, Busch and Aquatica, but bought the Universal 14 day passes separately and then a 4 day 'Magic Your Way' Disney multi-park ticket with a 5th day free. May not be the case now, but worked out the best value for us at the time).
Last edited by ponder on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
 
User avatar
BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 2262
Joined: June 2010
Location: South East Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Woops, I meant August! Fail on my part! :P
 
Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 171
Joined: September 2010
Location: Cheshire

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:46 pm

ponder wrote:
Coaster_Dude wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Nice! Where are you staying and which parks are you visiting? :)


We're staying on I-Drive, a place just opposite Wet 'n' Wild. Park-wise we are going to do pretty much everything (We're going for three weeks) although ironically the only place we aren't planning on going to is Wet 'n' Wild, which is the closest to us!

If you're interested, the way we've done the tickets is to do the Ultimate Discovery Cove package for Sea World and Busch, and at The Co-operative Travel on the high street they had a package which was for the Universal parks and Disney.

We go on the 29th of August so we're hoping it won't be too busy (after Labor Day at least).


Sounds like you're staying at Four Points as well then! Great choice if that's the case. Universal is a 15 minute walk, laugh off shuttles for that and do it at your own leisure. You have an I-ride stop literally at the front of the hotel, and that will take you anywhere up and down I-Drive (red) or to the bottom of I-Drive via Universal Blvd. (green). So for Seaworld for example, try and take a bus on the green route, as you'll get there much quicker (fewer stops, less popular route). Assuming you are at Four Points, and not another nearby hotel, then you'll also be able to use their free Disney shuttle service, which only stops at 1 other hotel, so it's pretty useful. They leave at 8.30 and 10am every morning, and pick you up from EPCOT at 6.30 and 9pm every evening. You have to book in advance, but the night before is normally plenty of notice.

It also sounds as though you're doing exactly the same parks, and with similar tickets (we got the Discovery package with Seaworld, Busch and Aquatica, but bought the Universal 14 day passes separately and then a 4 day 'Magic Your Way' Disney multi-park ticket with a 5th day free. May not be the case now, but worked out the best value for us at the time).


Actually we're staying at the Orlando Continental Plaza Hotel, which is technically just off I-Drive but it's near enough to everything. It's cheap and really just somewhere to spend the nights.

We've tried to plan everything as much as we can and we reckon it will be cheaper and easier to get the local bus rather than the I-Ride. Less busy, more busses and more distance which is especially useful as we'll need to get to Disney and back on them.

With regards to tickets, we aren't really sure what parks we'll enjoy more than others so we're getting essentially three 14 day passes - one for each 'group' of parks - which we'll stagger over the three weeks. The only thing that's an unknown at the moment is when Test Track wil reopen at Epcot. At the moment we were going to do Disney first, but that may now change if they announce Test Track will open towards the end of our holiday.

The part I'm dreading most is the two 9 hour (or there abouts) flights at each end. I've done four hours to Tenerife and halfway through that one I'm already bored out of my mind!
 
User avatar
ponder
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 611
Joined: June 2009
Location: Nr Colchester, Essex
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:06 pm

4 hour flights are pretty much the worst length though, as there is little in the way of entertainment. When you have seatback tv's and a wealth of films and tv to watch, it don't half make the flight go quicker!

You should check with your hotel to see if they run a shuttle service to Disney, as many do. It certainly makes life a lot easier. Either way, it's a decent area of Orlando to be staying in. Funspot is just across the road, which *may* have it's new GCI woody open in time for your visit, Premium Outlets is a 5 minute bus trip away, and there are plenty of nice restaurants locally for the nights that you don't fancy the slightly longer journey down to the hub of I-drive.
Image

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
 
Jubby
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 75
Joined: December 2010

Re: Orlando Holiday

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Word of warning on using the busses to get to Disney following a not too enjoyable experience of mine!

Here's the story - Staying at a hotel near sea world on I-drive, had a hire car but we stupidly decided that it would be better to get the bus and save on the parking charge. Got there fine on the bus, straight there and took us to the transportation centre where we changed for a disney bus to Animal Kingdom. Then went onto the Studios park for the 2nd half of the day and stayed to watch Fantasmic. After the show, it was quite late, proably nearly 10 at night and we went outside assuming that there would be a bus right there going to downtown or to the transportation hub where we could swop for a bus back to I-drive. There was no bus, at all. All the buses went to Disney hotels and that was it. Not even any taxi's about. We were very tired and just wanted to get back and the option suggested to us by a cast member was to get the boat to Swan hotel, then get a bus from there to downtown. We waited so long and messed about walking through swan hotel, we just got in a taxi outside there and paid nearly double the parking fee to get back. Very annoying! We used the car everyday after that, much more convenient - the US is built for the car.

It may be fine for others, maybe there are buses to downtown earlier than the end of Fantasmic (rest of park shut by then), or maybe we just missed something, don't know really. But don't do the same as we did!
 
User avatar
Jiminy Cricket
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 83
Joined: September 2011
Location: Manchester

Re: Orlando Holiday

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:11 pm

im going in september i can not wait!!!!!  :D
 
User avatar
ponder
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 611
Joined: June 2009
Location: Nr Colchester, Essex
Contact:

Re: Orlando Holiday

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Jubby wrote:

It may be fine for others, maybe there are buses to downtown earlier than the end of Fantasmic (rest of park shut by then), or maybe we just missed something, don't know really. But don't do the same as we did!


I'm not sure if you can on public transport, but the trick is to get a bus to EPCOT, as you can get too and from every park and I believe all of the hotels and Downtown Disney from there. It's bizarre that the Transportation Centre doesn't offer the same level of service.
Image

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests