UK theme parks from another point of view!

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-terra (contains spoilers)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Best ride in the park, scared the hell out of me.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 am

Jollylee11 wrote:
To be fair to Sub-Terra i don't think its the ride but people's personal preferences that people are hearing the negative comments from, some people just don't find dark rides scary or thrilling, but its not the blame to dark ride because i've herd people come off Hex saying "that was boring!" and even Nemesis saying "is that it?"

It's also not a dark ride.  Duel is a dark ride.  This is a multi experience indoor drop ride - a bit like Tower of Terror (but nothing like it!)

I went on it yesterday (August 1st) and found it to be very enjoyable; lengthy and quite intimidating.  I DO wish (as with a lot of Merlin theme park attractions) that their queue lines for major themed experiences started indoors as it would make the experience a lot more intense if we were in secret military corridors with videos playing, as opposed to a cattle pen queue system in the woods with videos playing.  Just a thought...

I enjoyed the indoor stuff though - especially the drop from nowhere (where does the floor go?!) and the intense - unaided - rush to get from the ride vehicle to the lift... and all the chaos that ensues! 

(SPOILER): The scare maze wasn't scary in the fact that there were loads of actors (they simply couldn't be seen) but it was SO loud (maybe a bit too loud) and I wasn't sure if the military people had been infected by the alien, if they were on our side, if we had invaded them (why were we sent on the tour in the first place?) etc etc.

But - overall, a jolly good attraction (much like HEX...) not a dark ride, not a rollercoaster - but a TRUE theme park theatrical experience for grown ups!

Well done!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Daniel_Robbins
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 am

Nemesis Sub-Terra Review
Most definitely a much better attraction with the added improvements. I have to say that I was surprised by this attraction and went on it with very little expectations but it is a great addition to the park and fit's in well with forbidden valley.

I hate it when so many people complain about how rubbish it is as a RIDE, it's an experience/attraction not a RIDE therefore you have to look at it as a whole attraction i.e. the actors effects and yes the ride element. If you are going in expecting simply a ride/roller coaster yes you will be dissapointed but that is not what this attraction is about.

The scaremaze element at the end is truly terrifying and it is nice to have something like this all year round not just at scarefest everyone I have been with say's it's amazing and is truly terrified when they come out at the end. Definite 9/10!

hellz.angel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm

The ride was indeed opened unfinished, perhaps they should have waited a month or two longer to get it finished. But now it has been completed mostly. The scaremaze on the end has been added and i think it adds to the experience greatly.
I have to agree i expected more due to all the promotions, but i do have to add i think AT know this and are trying to make it better.
Still i do think the effects on some parts are good, and the actors help it to be a better experience.

7/10
Last edited by hellz.angel on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People say i'm obsessed. I say i'm enthusiastic.

KatP93
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Before going to AT i didn't really know much about Sub-Terra except that it was a tower drop ride, alarm bells rang immediately as this is the same thing as 13, surely it would be bigger right?

Walking into Forbidden Valley from Gloomy Wood I was a bit shocked to see ST stuck there with little theming, just a tank in front of it which looked out of place and not really integrated into the scenery. I'v'e always said that Alton Towers is one of the best places in the world for its theming/scenery however this lets it down. The military style personnel outside the ride was a nice touch, however the queuing area could do with work. One of my main concerns is that AT will slowly decrease the number of actors on the ride as the hype dies down. However most of them did simply resort to barking orders at you to be quiet etc etc. I believe a better approach would be to shout about health and safety, viewing the egg. This is because, as is explained inside, "one of the eggs has been made viewable to the public" ie us, so why would Phalanx (the military style company) allow employees to shout at paying customers? They have to stick with the scenario. I was also disappointed by the look of the nemesis on the video, a giant crab? Really guys???? A positive of the video is that it does explain the nemesis story quite well for those that don't already know it but a little more detail wouldn't go amiss as Nemesis is probably the main attraction in the park.

After the short video you are ushered into an "elevator" to go down to the viewing chamber, however it's very disappointing that they simulated this simply by moving some LED lights down the side of the lift, a little vibration or doors that actually look like an elevator would improve this. Coming out of the lift you are in a dark corridor with little theming or direction of where to go, many people were asking, "what do we do now?", perhaps someone showing us direction and drips from the ceiling would help? Going into the chamber there isn't much happening, i think another good thing to do at this point would be to have one of the actors standing in front of the egg to make sure no one touches it, it is supposed to be dangerous after all. As the video starts and the egg inevitably begins to destabilize you do begin to get anxious however the special effects on the egg are pretty pathetic as you don't actually see it hatch, the lights go off and once they come back on its cracked. The drop does shock you however it is very short, since 13 was small i assumed this may be a step up as AT hasn't had a big new ride in a long time. The bursts of air on your leg (although they do hurt a little), the poke in the back and sounds of the creature moving around are quite scary, a thumbs up for that, I imagine it would be very scary for younger riders as there is no lighting at this point. As the chamber moves back up it does vibrate a little giving the feeling that the creature is trying to pull you back down, some tentacles/claws would have really improved it. Strobe lights and a time limit to evacuate really build tension and the actors add to the urgency. As you enter another lift, this time your experience is more frightening and enjoyable as it simulates the creature trrying to break in, however this is very similar to the Charlie ride, not the comparisons AT were looking for. The maze exit works well as it allows the actors to really shock you, especially those with the blood on their faces.

As a whole this isn't a bad ride, however it is more of an experience than a ride. If AT wanted to take this approach they should have extended it as you are essentially queuing for a minute long ride and a 30 second maze. As a huge fan of Nemesis I'll admit I was expecting more as this is a legendary coaster that deserves the best.

My boyfriend, who had never been to a theme park, thoroughly enjoyed this ride for it's immersive atmosphere and the fact that it wasn't a rollercoaster haha, the same can be said for my younger sister. So, perhaps this is the ideal ride for those who are looking for something that is scary but doesn't actually move. For the rollercoaster lovers, like me, it may not be the ideal ride as you are left wanting more of a RIDE, however if you sit back and enjoy the experience Nemesis: Sub - Terra can ,on the whole, be a scary and exciting time.

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Having been on this ride a few times it had me thinking many different things....

Opening week..... the ride was average at best... the back story was just there and not really explained well, the lift effect was average, the main chamber was ok and the last lift was horrible and then you walked out.....me and my sister we like "is that it?" really dissapointed.....

Since the ride closure and reopening id thoight i would give it another go......

The story is now far more better explained... the lift is slighly better... the main chamber has been improved a lot with the ticklers and back prodders working a treat. Also the 30 evacuation is always a laugh seeing people running for the lifts  :D a work colleague of mine was like ..... Im going to  :censored: kill you when we get out of here" and then the end walk through adds what was missing from the ride.

It went from being a 3/10 attraction to a 7/10 attraction.

once again hyped up a lot by Alton Towers same as TH13TEEN was.

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Had my fifth ride on Sub-Terra the other day and I have to say, it's getting better by the day!
The ride experience was great and the 30 seconds evacuation is played perfectly by the actors. The actors in the scare maze are still doing a great job and even when everyone was out the ride, they jumped out and scared the  :censored: out of people just walking past!  :D
Awesome ride, one of my fav's
8/10

[email protected]$
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:29 pm

I had my first ride on Nemesis Sub Terra in April and I found it alright. A week today I rode the ride again, and I have to say I was blown away!

Queue

The queue is one of the down sides of the attraction they is baring any themeing apart from the vents in the ground.

Pre-show

The pre-show room is very dark and puts people on the edge. The actors use this space well to make guests nervous. The pre-show video tells the guests more about the experience and how they found the egg underground. You are then moved into the 1st of the two lifts.

Between the lift and ride chamber

One improvement I saw was the torches they used in the attraction it is much darker than I remember in April. The sound of water dripping as well adds to the effect.

Ride Chamber

The chamber seemed small than I remember when I last rode the ride. The seats were very wet which did give away the water effects. The lap-bars are very loose and leave a huge gap between your body and the bar, which makes you more nervous as you don't feel safe. The ride starts off with a introduction about egg and how it got here. The heart monitor starts to suddenly speed up which gets the guest hearts pumping. There is a sudden bang which cues the pitch blackness. The sound of monster crawling around the room put you on edge. A few lights turn on and shows the broken egg. The lights blackout again and you drop. Now the drop is fastest then the last time, this is probably because of the underground lights turn on during the dropping. The lower level is better themed with the whole section covered in rocks. The guest see more eggs which then cues the blackout again. The back pokers and leg effects really take you by surprise. You slowly raise back up to the top level again, with strobe lights going crazy. The bars raise and you have 30 seconds to get to the exit lifts. Another improvement was the whole exit corridor was full of strobes. It really confuses you.

Exit Lifts and Maze

When entering the lift it is full of smoke. The doors close and you raise up to the ground. A sudden bang is heard which cues again darkness. The lift starts to shake and air cannons are being fired. The lights turn up again and the lift doors open. An actor runs in with a touch which is being shone in guests eyes. You are then told you escape but going though this horror maze which is full of actors jumping out at you and getting into your face. You finally escape and glad to see the light of day again.

Overall

Sub Terra is one of the scariest rides at the resort by far!

Queue - 4/10
Pre-Show - 8/10
Ride Chamber - 10/10
Exit lift - 9/10
Horror Maze - 10/10

Overall - 9/10

A good solid attraction
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Well that was a suprise. It scared the hell out of me! However, I do have pointers.

Well, the queue was boring. The TVs were good, but there is nothing else at all. Yawn-a-rama...
The preshow was good. However, it was a bit too loud, and it took a long time for the video to actually start, to the extent that even the actor said "wow, the video's taking a long time..."
Lift was good.
The ride chamber was well themed, but there was a bit of confusion about seating. When we sat down, I did panic about the restraint, as it was very loose. However, when the drop came, it turned out to be fine.
The show was very entertaining. The props, lighting, SFX were all very good, and did have me on edge.
The drop was suprisingly short, so it was a little anti-climactic. However, the air and leg ticklers scared the hell out of me! The back proder however was not to my liking. It hurt, which is not what I want...
The exit lift was very good, and the lighting was quite scary.
I did not expect the "scare maze" at the end. However, I didn't find this that impressive. It was just a strobe, a guy with a torch, a guy with wierd cuts on his face, and air blasts. But it didn't really bring the rest of the experience down.

Preshow: 6
Lift 1: 7
Chamber: 8
Ride: 7
Lift 2: 8
"Maze": 6

Overall: 8, but don't queue more than about 30 min for it.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm

This has been on my mind a while:

I'm not sure this ride smells right!

At the moment it seems to smell of urine (much like saw) and while I think urine might be present I think there might be more of acrid an shi**y smell...And then something thats alien mixed in with that. I don't know why but when I think Alien the first thing I think of is Bubblegum. In my opinion, it seems like the Nemesis creature is MARTIAN - and the ride itself also looks quite martian, with its redness and its organicness + technology mixed together. So the colour red is one possible starting point - what does red smell/taste like? Usually sweet/tart (jam, red wine, cherry aid) -so maybe bubblegum but you can't really know much about this stuff except when you do a practical scent experiment. A large mothering animal enclosure - is another starting point- but maybe they did that already.

What do you guys think?

(a picture to help you remember the feel of this ride)
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm

the drop is really big and the extra features are seriously terrifying the scare maze is not a nice feeling its quite hectic good ride though just scary :roll:

operationguard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, what can I not say about Sub-Terra?!

I have been on this ride serveral times both before and after the re-make of it. I still get a super fast Heart Beat every time I go on it. Its one of those rides that will continue to be great, no matter what happens! If you haven't been on it yet, why not?! I strongly recommend it to anyone. Full of shocks and jumps, you will enjoy this dark ride very much.

~Op [AT Legend]

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 am

altontowersbarlow wrote:
the drop is really big and the extra features are seriously terrifying the scare maze is not a nice feeling its quite hectic good ride though just scary :roll:

I hear that the actors are behind fences is this true?

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't like scare mazes so I didn't like this :(

It is a 'nice' little experience added to the park though, and I hope Alton continue to maintain it.

But does anyone else find the leg 'ticklers' not only easy to see on the seats, but actually slightly painful on their legs? I had to move mine away, not from fear but because they really stung!

CoventryBee
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Something I think Alton Towers may could do with doing to this ride is perhaps having an option for the scare maze. A lot of people that I go to Alton with don't like scare mazes, I do. I love Sub Terra, therefore I can't really ride it as I hate riding by myself. I'd love them to experience Sub Terra (pre scare maze) and think they'd get a lot more re-ride if the scare maze wasn't compulsory.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 am

Sub Terra was pants without the maze and just way too short
If you go down to the woods today

flufmyhamster224
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am

It was the day after Sub Terra had opened. When i first ridden the beats in question (Sub Terra) i was really disappointed. I couldn't get to sleep the night before i went because i was looking forward to it.

But when i went to Alton Towers later on in the year i really liked it! they had added allot and all the theming was working. Plus they had the amazing live actors that would make me jump so bad!

At the beginning of 2013. I really felt that Sub Terra was complete. I fully enjoyed all of the elements and i loved the staff that were the icing on the cake!

CAPTAIN COPE RULES! If anybody sees him say Ryan said hi!

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 am

Thrillmad wrote:
altontowersbarlow wrote:

I hear that the actors are behind fences is this true?

kind of behind and among the fences, I actually love the maze bit, I like staring them out, or saying stuff to them...

Bullet Hell wrote:
I don't like scare mazes so I didn't like this :(

It is a 'nice' little experience added to the park though, and I hope Alton continue to maintain it.

But does anyone else find the leg 'ticklers' not only easy to see on the seats, but actually slightly painful on their legs? I had to move mine away, not from fear but because they really stung!

I hate the leg tickler things both on this and ice age, painful across my legs so I sit with my legs out during it lol

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Am I the only one that wasent that impressed by it? haha half the time I found it quite boring just sitting there looking at an egg while a voice goes on and on!  Then the drop was unexpected and good but was quite small and dident leave me shivering and the effect like the back poker were more laughable than frightening they did not scare my and some of the hurt! Nothing you wouldn't expect in a 4D cinema ( that's the effect like the back poker ect... Not the drop haha ) then you left through a really short scare maze which dosent Deserver the term "scare" overall I felt it was quite cheap too short and pointless but that was before the re-make so hopefully they have changed this as it has soooo much potential! Just seemed like a quick build gap filler to boost vists, even it location and build shows that it was a rush production anyway I'm a horrid pessimistic ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 pm

I just found this picture with work lights on, very cool:

It's still pretty terrifying.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/