UK theme parks from another point of view!

frocter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Florida in January - A wise idea?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello lovely people,  :D

I am planning a trip to Orlando with my OH in January as I can get time off and I believe it is a quiet time to visit the theme parks. My concern however is the number of open attractions! Will a lot of rides be shutdown for maintenance? I have emailed Universal, but no reply so far.  :evil: I hope I won't regret spending over 2 grand by not being able to go on rides much!!  :? We also want to do the kiddie stuff like Harry Potter and spiderman! :oops:

Has anyone here been to Orlando in Jan second week? Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated. We would also like to chill out in the waterparks. We both are coaster freaks and would be absolutely gutted if the rides were down. We plan to get the 14 day flex-ticket plus passes.

Many thanks... peace out!!

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Florida in January - A wise idea?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

We went in January in 2011 and had a wonderful time - nothing was closed other than Dudley Doo Right due to the fire, but park hours were short and fireworks shows didn't show every night.

Queues were half hour for the popular stuff and nothing for most but the weather was the killer - some days it was Florida weather, other days it was below zero - it was a real shocker, but we just got on with it, wrapped up warm and enjoyed ourselves.

Howie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

I've been in January too and as meames said, it's a great time to go - short queues, less crowds, cooler temperatures. Nothing worse than queueing up for something in sweltering heat! Having said that it was still lovely n sunny, never encountered any sub zero temperatures this year, thankfully!
However, being an off-peak period means it's almost inevitable that something will be closed for maintenance but in my experience no park has more than one attraction closed at any one time. A small price to pay for having a minimal wait on all the stuff that is open.
Trust me, you'll have a blast!

frocter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you meames and Howie.  :D Cheers guys!

Thats music to my ears! I'm off to to look for flights from Manchester. January it is then!!!  :lol:

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:06 pm

No problem, we would definatly do January again - we used to go in May, but found January much better.

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm

I've been to Florida twice, one the first 2 weeks of nov and the other was 2 weeks in Jan and both times were quiet with great temps and of course all rides were open.

frocter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 pm

So in terms of park opening hours, will they be open 9:00 AM till 6:00 PM? Or will they be open much shorter than this?

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Not sure on the opening times, I'd assume they will be running as normal

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 am

Usually Splash mountain is closed as well during Jan but you get to enjoy the new rides in fantasyland with min queues.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 pm

It depends what you want really; fewest crowds? Possibly. Best weather for theme-parking? To some extent. But you'll get ride closures too...

The chart isn't for this year, but it does give you a reasonable idea of when's best for visiting Florida; in terms of weather, crowds and closures. :)

frocter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks again everyone.  :)

Can someone please tell me, which parks in Orlando operate a front riders queing system like in Alton or Thorpe? Since the crowd levels are down, I'd like to get a lot of front row ides.  :lol:

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 pm

frocter wrote:
Thanks again everyone.  :)

Can someone please tell me, which parks in Orlando operate a front riders queing system like in Alton or Thorpe? Since the crowd levels are down, I'd like to get a lot of front row ides.  :lol:

Yes, they do. At least at the Busch, SeaWorld, Universal parks (with the Disney coasters it doesn't really matter regardless); they also boast separate back row queues if that's more your thing. :)

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

I went 11th May this year for 2 weeks, not a queue in sight! From what I remember the longest queue was Harry Potter mid day. However if you get to Hogsmeade when the park opens its walk on! Disney was pretty much empty most of the time, as was Seaworld!

I've been in May 3 times before and never had issues. Also it's a lot cheaper that time of year, just after spring break.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 am

Take it from someone who lived in Orlando 6 years, it is the theme park nut's heaven. I rerode hulk 20 times in 3 hours one day, there are zero queues. Likely because ignorant Brits think FL has seasons. Wrong. It has summer and summer without thunder storms. So go for it and you will be rewarded with a warm, rain free winter with zero theme park crowds!
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 am

On a serious note, why the hell did you leave Orlando lol?!

I'd give an arm and a leg, and possibly and organ to live out there!

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 pm

God I would, too. We were forced to shut our business and therefore hand back our visas and move back here. Not heaven, but it's life.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:07 am

On a completely different note, how easy is it to get visas for Orlando? Say if I was looking into work for Disney/Universal?

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:08 pm

I know this is a bit late but I thought I'd post a warning.

Normally it's hotter than our summers in January in Florida but very occasionally, they have cold spells.

I went one winter, suitcase packed full of light clothing, got there and it was below freezing. You don't expect to go to Florida and to see icicles hanging off tropical plants. Check the weather before you go to see if it'll be cool for a few days.

Incidentally, if you're going for new years, I recommend universal over Disney. They had a concert going, much better party atmosphere (with mardi gras beads which is rather odd for a family park...) and their fireworks display was immense.

Went to Epcot for new years and it was rubbish. Poor Atmosphere and their celebration didn't seem anything different from their normal fireworks.