UK theme parks from another point of view!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Florida, 2014 potentially.........

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Ok, considering Transformers is a 99% certainty at Universal Orlando, along with Harry Potter phase 2, I'm looking to try and get out there once the two are open.

I've heard rumors Transformers will be open by this time next year, but I'm not familiar with the timescales on the Harry Potter/London area expansion.

Any ideas on when in 2014 would be a good idea to get out to sunny Florida? I've looked at either May or September as a rough idea.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm

We went September last year and as long as you don't mind the odd bit of thunder (maybe an hour very three days or so) you'll be fine. All parks empty, weather not bad, usually find some good deals!
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Florida, 2014 potentially.........

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Sep/Oct/Nov are all quiet parks, out of hurricane season and cooler than the height of summer with minimal storms. Best time to go.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm

To be honest, you get rain almost on a daily basis no matter what time you go (it's a tropical climate, the rain tends to be 10 minute long downpours that clear up freakishly fast). It's actually warmer in September than it is in May in Orlando.

September however has Labour Day (first monday in September, the only bank holiday the US really has) which will cause parks to be packed but it'll deaden after it.

If you're going for new rides, probably safer to do it in September.

Don't forget that Disney have spent a lot of money expanding fantasy land, adding beauty and the beast elements and a Little Mermaid dark ride (which looks fairly traditional). You'll probably miss the tilting Seven Dwarves Mine Train which isn't due until 2014 though.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 pm

abigsmurf wrote:
To be honest, you get rain almost on a daily basis no matter what time you go (it's a tropical climate, the rain tends to be 10 minute long downpours that clear up freakishly fast). It's actually warmer in September than it is in May in Orlando.

September however has Labour Day (first monday in September, the only bank holiday the US really has) which will cause parks to be packed but it'll deaden after it.

If you're going for new rides, probably safer to do it in September.

Don't forget that Disney have spent a lot of money expanding fantasy land, adding beauty and the beast elements and a Little Mermaid dark ride (which looks fairly traditional). You'll probably miss the tilting Seven Dwarves Mine Train which isn't due until 2014 though.

Yeah thats the thing, ideally I'd like to get on all the new planned rides, including the ones in Disney. Obviously the new test track will be open, and I'm pretty sure the seven dwarfs ride will be open by September 2014, compared to the quickness of the construction for the rest of the area.

I'll only be looking to visit for about a week, mainly for Universal, but I'll squeeze in a day or two of Disney if I can.

I went in May, the Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando was an ideal base.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Erm, Seven Dwarves is due to open February '13. And believe me, it rains very little outside the summer months, especially sep-april.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 am

The Moon wrote:
Erm, Seven Dwarves is due to open February '13.

That can't be right? It isn't even half way through vertical construction, let alone building work and theming. The first phase of the land opening is Dec 6th, I'm sure the last phase is 2014.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am

Chaz wrote:
The Moon wrote:
Erm, Seven Dwarves is due to open February '13.

That can't be right? It isn't even half way through vertical construction, let alone building work and theming. The first phase of the land opening is Dec 6th, I'm sure the last phase is 2014.

I think the whole timescales of the Fantasyland project was very much a rough guideline, they've been ahead of schedule for most of it, and I'd be extremely surprised if Seven Dwarfs was not open by summer 2013. They are working all the hours under the sun, I follow the construction updates via Screamscape on a daily basis.

I would be a tad gutted if it wasn't complete when I go, but I can't say as a 26 year old male I'd be that disappointed!

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Disney said 2014 for the Dwarves ride on their site.

Also rumours floating around about the Avatar section of Animal Kingdom suggesting a more advanced "soarin" type ride, a water ride (perhaps a log flume?) and a Vekoma cycle type one.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 pm

abigsmurf wrote:
Disney said 2014 for the Dwarves ride on their site.

Also rumours floating around about the Avatar section of Animal Kingdom suggesting a more advanced "soarin" type ride, a water ride (perhaps a log flume?) and a Vekoma cycle type one.

Yeah I saw that this morning on Screamscape. I really don't think Animal Kingdom needs a ride so similar to Soarin.

I for one didn't come off Soarin massively impressed, its an OK ride, but to add it to Animal Kingdom lacks imagination in my book. That park needs something groundbreaking, something that guests will flock to.

Epcot has always provided amazing ride concepts like Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin. Hollywood studios is the same with Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster and Toy Story Mania. Magic Kingdom........well it speaks for itself with the whole new Fantasyland expansion.

I just feel if the Avatar land is to be done properly they need a game changer. They need a Forbidden Journey. Not a clone of an ok ride.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

This is how big the coaster site gonna be
http://www.screamscape.com/html/mk_-_fantasyland_0.htm

Also the theming there gonna add to the coaster inside and out as you know how much detail Disney put in there rides. Disney take 2 years to build a attraction and Alton Towers around 6 months.