UK theme parks from another point of view!

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Chessington World of Adventures - Zufari, Ride into Africa Review!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Introduction, Location and Theming:

Zufari is the brand new ride/land at CWOA for 2013, it is a African themed safari ride which takes you around animal enclosures. The trucks which take you through lakes, hilly mud roads and caves, each truck seat 30 explorers (5X6) and are African themed. Zufari has been open for 3 days now, the opening of the ride was delayed due to them not finishing on time and they had to test the trucks around the animals so they got used to them. Zufari is a brand new  land in CWOA alongside other famous lands like Transylvania and Wild Asia. Flying Jumbos have been re themed to a African theme and are now part of the Zufari land.  The new land is situated in between Forbidden Kingdom, Mexicana (no access to the land from there) and the Wanyama Village. To get to Zufari there are 2 entrances, one from Wanyama Village next to the Meerkat enclosure and one in Forbidden Kingdom behind Ramses Revenge and next to the First Aid centre. As soon as you walk in from both entrances there is a fairly long wooden pathway with Chessington's 'flagship' bamboo fence which is seen in most areas of the park. Along the path on the fences are tribal face masks and other wooden carvings. Behind the bamboo fences however is unfinished parts of the new land. From the Wanyama entrance when you approach the ride entrance you see a muddy road which goes through a man-made lake. Surrounding the lake are white rocks and tropical plants and trees. If you continue on you go over a wooden bridge, under it is the road for the trucks. Past the bridge you are presented by the main area for the land. To the side are bongo drums which the kids were banging on, in the middle is a wooden sign post with a petrol drum base which shows you the directions of certain rides and lands. To the front of you is the Zufari entrance.

Ride Entrance, Queue-line and Pre-show:

The entrance has 3 entrances: fast track, main entrance and disabled access. The entrance is a wooden thatched hut with explorer equipment theming, to the side is a TV which tells you the queuing time (which all day today was 60 minutes) As you enter the queue line like most queues the beginning of the queue is a long empty maze (similar to The Swarm's queue at the beginning) In the middle of the 'wiggly maze' is a grass area with again explorer equipment theming, which included: Telescope, hiking bag and so on. Near the beginning of the queue there is a wooden interactive xylophone. Throughout the queue are detailed themed bins. The queue fence is similar to the queue fences you see in Wild Asia, but instead are wooden not bamboo. Sadly already I saw some queue fences had writing and chewing gum on them. In the middle of the queue is a thatched hut which (strangely) is a photo booth where a member of staff takes a picture of you in front of a green screen and you can view and buy the photo at the end. I personally found this odd and thought it would be more profitable to have a snack stand as the queue was very long. Throughout the queue time the ride supposedly broke down (around 4 times) as there was lots of announcement saying this.

Part 2:

At the end of the queue there is a big wooden hut which holds the pre-show room and the ride control room. There are 3 doors leading into the room with red and green lights on top of each, (if the rooms empty or in use) In the pre-show room you there are 4 rows of seats which face a screen (you sit on a crate) During the film there is a man who talks to you about A.C.R.E. (African Conservation, Research & Exploration) and how its now exploring this new area in Africa which is called Zufari. The man (who's full name is mentioned but can't remember) voices the queue announcements as well. After he leaves a monkey comes on, says some shiz to the kids. The monkey is actually voiced live and is not a pre recorded voice as the monkey talks to certain people in the audience and asks them if they're brave and so on. The whole room is also heavily themed with explorer theming. As you leave the pre-show room there is a very short queue. As you get to the front of the queue there are 5 lanes which you have to go in before entering the trucks.

I will continue writing the rest of the Zufari review later on in the day which will include on-ride experience, peoples opinions on the ride and my opinion.

Bloody hell that was alot of typing...  :|

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Chessington World of Adventures - Zufari, Ride into Africa Review!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Part 2 of the review

On-ride experience:

In the truck at the front there is the A.C.R.E logo(off topic but the A.C.R.E fake company has a similar feel and style to Phalanx) and pictures of animals and their names which you can see on the safari. As you leave the station you immediately go under a footpath bridge (which goes to Forbidden Kingdom) and under it is a crashed Jeep, similar to the Jeep outside Trail of the Kings. As you go along the mud road you approach a lake which the truck drives through. After that you approach the first animal area which is the Flamingo enclosure. Constantly throughout the journey they're announcements about what enclosures next, facts & info about the animal and so on. The announcements on the truck is voiced by the same man in the pre-show room and the platform. In the Flamingo enclosure is a big lake with the Flamingo's house at the back, the 2nd enclosure is the Giraffe enclosure and the Zebra enclosure together. They were 4 Giraffes and I think also 4 Zebras. They're enclosure is the biggest out of all of them, in the enclosure was a 40ft+ high Giraffe shelter with hay, food and water. Most of the enclosure is just a big field which is perfect for the Zebras but maybe not suitable for Giraffes as they like big high trees. Along the trail they were many 'traffic lights' which the driver had to stop at numerous times, also the mud trail itself at some point are very, very bumpy and hilly. The next enclosure was some African deer area which was quite hilly and green.

The next enclosure was the main part of the voyage for most, it was the Rhino enclosure. They were 3 fairly small Rhinos in there with a big green area and fair amount of vegetation. The next part after the Rhino's was the 2nd main part of the Safari. As the truck drove along the track they was a massive tree branch which was blocking the road (part of the story line) so the announcements were saying that we had to take a different route (also part of the story line) The truck did a massive sharp turn into a eery looking area which was flooded. The truck then turned in a misty cave. This cave was the main wet climax (pardon the pun! :lol:) The truck drove into the middle of the cave, in the cave it was very misty and spooky with eery noises. The door closes behind the cave and the cave starts to rumble, it gets very load with spray guns squirting at the truck, then it starts to extremely rumble with noises and motion. Suddenly a massive wave of water splashes into to cave which floods the truck a little. At this moment everyone is effing and screaming. The water fall then dies out and the truck moves along, but that's not the end of it... DUN DUN DUUNNN. As the truck leaves the cave there is a massive waterfall which is blocking the cave exit, at this moment every is screaming and effing again, the truck then deliberately slowly drives through the waterfall with only a little spray on people. The truck then drives back into the station. As you leave the ride there is a two little tents, one which you can view the picture you get taken in the middle of the queue and the other tent is where you can write your thoughts on the ride on numerous touch screen monitors.

People's thoughts and opinions:

Now peoples thoughts of the ride, were not too good. People got off the ride highly disappointed for numerous reasons. I actually asked a man about his thoughts on the ride and this is what he said: ''The ride was a joke, we waited over 1 hour to ride this new ride with my kids tired. the ride was a big disappointment as the giraffes an flamingos were in their house and you could only see them from the entrance of the house'' He then said that I would not ride it again unless the queue was under 15 mins. I sort of agreed with him because I waited in the queue for at least 2 hours as the ride was breaking down all the time.

My opinion and rating:

I love the ride, Chessington really deserve such an great ride, the amount of thought and detail that the ride has is dare I say it Disneyland/Universal Studio's standard. However the ride is a tricky ride because the animals most of the time might not even go outside and might just stay in their home, which is what happened when I went. The Rhinos looked so bored and peed off it was kind of sad. My rating for the ride, ten being the best I give the ride 9 out of 10. It is a astounding ride and I recommend everyone to ride it at least once. After my first time I don't think I would wait more than 1/2 hour for the ride.

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Just found out now that Wanyama Village is now in Zufari land and is not a seperate land.

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks Marcus. I have to say I was apprehensive of this ride due to the standard of the Animal Kingdom equivalent but I'll take your word on the theming.

Could it perhaps just be that the animals haven't adjusted to the ride yet? And also something to do with the weather, I know I wouldn't want to be stood outside in the freezing cold just to be stared at by people in travelling cars. This is where Florida comes into its own with near year round sunshine!
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 am

SmilingMonkey wrote:
Thanks Marcus. I have to say I was apprehensive of this ride due to the standard of the Animal Kingdom equivalent but I'll take your word on the theming.

Could it perhaps just be that the animals haven't adjusted to the ride yet? And also something to do with the weather, I know I wouldn't want to be stood outside in the freezing cold just to be stared at by people in travelling cars. This is where Florida comes into its own with near year round sunshine!

Yeah the main reason most of the animals were indoors was really due to the weather, it was pretty damp, cold and snowing at times. I think the animals were fine around the trucks as they did a 2 week run of the trucks going around so the animals got used to them.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm

They'll need to do something to try and get the animals out and about whilst keeping them happy. Maybe a few strategic disguised heaters and treats/food would help.

Ending sounds fairly neat, shame it's not quite as impressive as Rhino Rally which completely blew me away with the bridge collapse section (didn't know anything about the ride before going on).

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

abigsmurf wrote:
They'll need to do something to try and get the animals out and about whilst keeping them happy. Maybe a few strategic disguised heaters and treats/food would help.

Ending sounds fairly neat, shame it's not quite as impressive as Rhino Rally which completely blew me away with the bridge collapse section (didn't know anything about the ride before going on).

The ending is pretty impressive for a Merlin park, just checked out the bridge collapse section and that looks awesome

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 am

abigsmurf wrote:

What happened on the bridge bit?

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
What happened on the bridge bit?

It's sadly gone now but what happened was that you drove onto the bridge, the guide/driver makes a comment about how it's an old bridge, you stop on it, then it starts to collapse.

The section of bridge you're on actually falls down into the river and the rest of the ride is actually a water ride with you floating down the river.