UK theme parks from another point of view!

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Los Angeles- No Car... Is it Possible?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi,

I am looking at booking a holiday to Los Angeles (Hyatt Regency Long Beach Specifically) to go Universal Hollywood and Knott's Berry Farm etc but wondered if it was possible to do it without a car. I have been to America before in car and disliked it, just the confusion of the roads really so I don't want to do it again. I was just wondering if the public transport is good in Los Angeles and I would be able to get to attractions easily. If not Long Beach is their any other towns/cities in Los Angeles that does offer access to the attractions.

Many Thanks.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Los Angeles- No Car... Is it Possible?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:32 pm

A quick search on google and I found this page http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/ ... ic-transit. A quick read of it and I think it'll answer your question.
Hope I could help!
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Coastermadpearce wrote:
A quick search on google and I found this page http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/ ... ic-transit. A quick read of it and I think it'll answer your question.
Hope I could help!

Thankyou!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Not easy at all, take a decent TomTom and you'll be fine. Roads in the US are the most easy to drive on in the world, just LA traffic can be tedious.

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm

We are off to LA in September and have not hired a car.

Long Beach is about as far south as you can go in LA and from all accounts, not the nicest of areas to walk around.

Universal is north of Hollywood hills and Long Beach to there is some distance right through the middle of the city.

We are staying in Santa Monica for 3 days (encompassing the Sony Studio tours for all Breaking Bad stuff!), then taking a cab (hours drive and $80) up to Universal City and stay for a couple of nights and do Hollywood for half a day.

We are then picking a car up and driving up to Magic Mountain from here because its a much easier distance and 1 road. The onto Palm Springs and then driving classic route 66 to Vegas.

We only have the car for 4 days and that's all the driving I want to do in the states.

Your biggest challenge is Long Beach to Universal - this IS NOT a short distance and you will be looking at 3 hours via public transport or 2 hours via cab + $150 for the privilege.

I have done enough research over the last year to know that changing hotels and staying nearer places is the least painful option.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Personally, I would be really uneasy about using LA buses in the evening after a day at a theme park, especially given how obvious it'd be that you're tourists.

Try to stick to hotels shuttle busses wherever possible.

Driving in the US isn't too bad, it's just a case of getting used to frequent U-turns and the whole "can I right turn on this red?" thing.

Did have one 'fun' moment when a road sign said "interstate next let", started driving up the ramp only to see "WRONG WAY" signs. Turns out it was "next left but not that left after this sign duh".

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Thankyou for all the replies.

I didn't really want to drive because last time I went to Orlando, a trip that should of took 30 mins took 3 hours after we ended up in Tampa... not International Drive.

Thankyou for that information on travel distances.I had never thought about a multi-centre sort of trip so I will have to look into that. Thankyou.

I had another 'fun' moment in Orlando. Got to a toll road after we had just landed. So we had no coins and only notes. Me being me, I tried to put notes down a Coin only slot. Well, let's just say we had a 'fun' time...