UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Finally going to Alton Towers!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 am

Well finally I am going back to Alton Towers after a long, long break. I have been trying to go to Alton for many years but every year I have priced up the cost of travelling up from the south coast and staying for a night and I find that the cost makes it better value to go to Europa, Port Aventura, California, Australia etc.

The weakest link has always been my car that drinks petrol but having changed to a diesel and with a bogof, it should be a pretty cheap trip. The last time I went to Alton Towers was back in the year that Rita was first built. 2005 I think? so I know that there is the smiler, 13 and maybe a couple of other small things new in the past 10 years. (still no woody though :cry: )

We are going up on Wednesday 17th Sep and will probably stay in a local cheapo hotel before visiting on Thursday. If we can get the whole place done in one day we would buy fast passes for forbidden valley and then head straight to smiler in the morning to get it out the way. Would this be the best plan of attack or are we better to hit FV early without fastpass and then use the pass on smiler instead?

Incidentally is there any reason why the Alton Hotel is charging £750 for two nights mid week in September? The rooms look pretty lame and I just cant see what the attraction is when there are nicer looking rooms off site for only £85.

Any help in a plan of attack after almost 10 years of abstaining from AT would be greatly appreciated.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Finally going to Alton Towers!

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 am

If your staying in the hotel, definitely get The Smiler done in ERT. If not, here's my order:
10am head to FV and you'll be able to do Air and Nemesis a couple of time each, then The Blade if you want. Ripsaw and N:ST doesn't open till 11am so you'll have to come back for those later.
10:30am get the sky ride from FV to Dark Forest. Get a ride on Rita first, then th13teen as Rita's queue grows very quick.
11:15am Cloud Cuckoo Land and Hex. These queues should still be around 15 minutes, as you haven't been in so many years I'd assume you want to try most things.
12pm head to X sector and do Oblivion and The Smiler. TS queue is always smallest around midday and Oblivion should have no queue.
1pm-1:30pm lunch break
2pm Sonic, possibly Cbeebies land- if you have children.
3pm mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon.
4pm Duel and FV
4:30pm spend the last half hour redoing any other rides you want. I go from FV to DF via Skyride, do those then jump in The Smilers queue at just before 5.

Also if you want any B&B recommendations, The Crown Inn. It's a lovely B&B about 10 minutes drive from the entrance. Costs £70 a night for a room including a full English breakfast. However as your going in September it may be cheaper.

Hope this helps :)

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 am

That's an amazing reply, thanks for taking the time to do that. Sounds like AT can still be done in a day then. Is Charlie worth doing? was not there when I last went. Also are the gardens in any better condition these days? back in 05 they were left to ruin.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am

Yes the gardens do look beautiful. However with so much to do, you need a good couple of hours to walk around, in a day there just isn't enough time. But if you stay in a B&B and spend a second day, I'd recommend a walk round the gardens, extraordinary golf and the waterpark, as well as having a few more hours to spend re riding your favourites :)

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Wildboy wrote:
That's an amazing reply, thanks for taking the time to do that. Sounds like AT can still be done in a day then. Is Charlie worth doing? was not there when I last went. Also are the gardens in any better condition these days? back in 05 they were left to ruin.

Before any elitists see this, let me just say that contrary to one sided opinions, Charlie is a good ride and very worth doing as there is hardly ever a queue. Now thats out of the way...

Let me just say that it would be highly recommended to get a hotel, as trying to do everything in one day is possible but will probably just stress you out and make you feel rushed and severely hinder your enjoyment of your day. Plus you can get a come back tomorrow ticket for £9 each.

I would recommend trying to either get a Smiler fast track or doing it in early ride time, and while you are in X Sector then I should warn you that missing Oblivion will get you shunned off of Towers Times Forum. If you end up with a spare 20 min after doing X Sector I would suggest doing Cbeebies Land during early ride time as while aimed at todlers, Mr Blooms Allotments is quite good. I also recommend going on In The Night Garden Magical Boat Ride and pretending that it is a delibrate sattire as it genuinely works and is very funny.
If you are there for more than one day, then make sure to watch The Kidnap of Lady Victoria Sponge, it is Helerious and I cannot recomend it enough, also while in Mutiniy Bay, make sure that you ride Marauders Mayhem as it is definately one of the best of its' kind in the UK.
Also make sure you go on Runaway Mine Train, as while it is not very thrilling, it is still very fun. While you are in the area also make sure to ride Duel as it has got infinately better since 2005.
I can't really say much about Forbidden Valley, as the only ride there I have been on is The Blade.
Haunted Hollow was new for 2008 so you have never been in that but honestly its not very good, but if you want to get from Mutiny Bay to Gloomy Wood or vice verser, then you can use it as a short cut (but the Skyride is faster).
Make sure you ride Th13teen as it is very very excellent also I highly recommend Hex and Charlie, as they are both very good rides.

I would recommend that you try not to heavily plan everything about the day as if you make a plan to be on Nemisis at 3pm then you will go out of your way to get there resulting in you spending less time on what you were currently doing and enjoy the day that tiny bit less, instead just go around the park at your own pace and have as many re-rides as you want because even if you miss Smiler by spending all day on Nemisis as long as you enjoyed your self then its ok.

I hope you enjoy your trip to AT.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:08 pm

OK so I have managed to get a room at the Alton Towers Hotel for the Wed night so we plan to spend the day driving up on Wednesday 17th Sep and then in park on Thursday.

I have never stayed in the hotel before. I am now interested to know if there is any entertainment in the evenings and also if the waterpark is worth the money?

Also is the back row of Nemesis open again finally?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:25 pm

There is usually some sort of band/singer performing in the evening at the ATH.