UK theme parks from another point of view!

united68
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

So disappointed with Alton Towers

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Visited last weekend after recently returning from the parks in Florida.

Obviously, everyone knows the parks are better there but Jesus what a let down!! The only plus point was Smiler, fantastic ride that wouldnt look out of place at Universal IOA.

The park looks so tired. The staff are dreadful, there are wasps everywhere and it shut at 6pm!!! We were still in Magic Kingdom at 1:30am on a Thursday morning.

Will never return!!!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So disappointed with Alton Towers

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm

There is a massive difference in the budgets available to the parks. Comcast have pledged to give 500 million every year for the foreseeable future. This dwarfs the amount Merlin make available due to them being owned by private equity firm.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm sorry, but how can you compare Alton Towers to Universal or Disney parks? That is an unfair comparison in my opinion. In my opinion, you should only compare UK parks with other UK parks, and USA parks with other USA parks. Disney basically have a whole 'army' behind the scenes, which means they are able to produce spectacular parks. Alton Towers will never been on par with those types of parks.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 pm

united68 wrote:
Visited last weekend after recently returning from the parks in Florida.

Obviously, everyone knows the parks are better there but Jesus what a let down!! The only plus point was Smiler, fantastic ride that wouldnt look out of place at Universal IOA.

The park looks so tired. The staff are dreadful, there are wasps everywhere and it shut at 6pm!!! We were still in Magic Kingdom at 1:30am on a Thursday morning.
Will never return!!!

I am sorry you had an unpleasant experience however my experiences at the resort have always been fantastic. Alton Towers do unfortunately close "early" however the opening hours should be long enough to ride most of the major attractions at the park and Disney can afford to stay open later purely because they are a larger company with more money. I have always found the staff to be polite yet not to upfront which is a nice balance in my opinion, maybe if you could elaborate on the staff issues we could understand a bit better. The wasp issue is clearly not The Alton Towers Resorts fault as they are a natural part of British wildlife and can not be avoided especially on establishments that sell food. I do hope you return to the resort as it is a wonderful park that showcases some exceptional rides and is one of the best theme parks in the whole of the UK.

This topic would also be more suited to the "My Visit" section of the forum for your future information :)

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm

you should probably ride Nemesis, as the Smiler is practically nothing and would look VERY out of place at IOA ;)

I do not understand what you want to achieve with this topic, it is a rant on the fact that Alton Towers is not up to the same standard as the Florida parks, which all have more funding and more competition forcing them to do things better, and get better rides than other parks.

The park close is at that time due to the fact that extra park hours are not necessary, and sometimes not wanted by a lot of the public, as the park open hours now are long enough to get all the major rides out of the way. :)

And I myself have to say that the staff at Alton Towers are very pleasant to be around, get decent throughput on the rides, and are up for a laugh. This is all I and many other expect from staff :)
Last edited by Jack on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

united68
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm

The whole place needs a paint brush.

You cant compare Universal to AT. Why not? AT charge $80+ to get in.

Tatty, tacky and very disappointing.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:08 pm

united68 wrote:
The whole place needs a paint brush.AT charge $80+

Since when?! :-s the gate price is around 50 quid and around 25-30(?) online, I do not understand where you got this info from!

I also don't understand what you mean by tacky and tatty, it is anything but that! although, many people will agree that parts of the park need a touch of paint, so I can't disagree with that :D

EDIT: sorry, tired, saw the dollar and thought it was a pound :lol
Last edited by Jack on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

callam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Im just here to say that i know more about Alton Towers than anyone else on this forum, and actually, i painted the hole of Alton Towers just the other day, so plz can you no offend people like that, because my mum told me i did a good job. Your obviously American, so next time moan about your own theme parks, and back off ours. Kthx - Callam (aka. most irritating member 2013)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 pm

united68 wrote:
The whole place needs a paint brush.

You cant compare Universal to AT. Why not? AT charge $80+ to get in.

Tatty, tacky and very disappointing.

You can't compare Universal/Disney to any Merlin park because of the amount of money they have invested in them year after year.

The budget that Merlin gives a park like Towers is minuscule compared to how much money Universal/Disney have to play with.

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Why go to the trouble of setting up an account on an Alton Towers fan site just to say you hate the place and will never go back, it seems like a waste of your time ?

Alton Towers has its faults of course, and it compares badly even to the top European parks but it's certainly not "Tatty, tacky and very disappointing."

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:16 pm

callam wrote:
actually, i painted the hole of Alton Towers

The Oblivion hole ? :roll:

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 pm

I personally find that Alton Towers is reasonably painted, they can't paint the whole park every day (unless you're Callam, and he didn't really do it), so I think that although a repaint is in order for the near future, I don't see the need to rant about the park because of the paint.

Also, look at Nemesis, if it was perfectly painted it wouldn't be nearly as good.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 pm

This topic doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to create angst. Please feel free to use any of the following types of contact to reach the resort, who I'm sure will be thrilled to hear your structured and well reasoned feedback:

Online form
http://www.altontowers.com/contact-us/feedback/

Via Twitter
@altontowers

Via The Dog And Bone
0871 222 3330

Via Snail Mail
Guest Services,
Alton Towers Resort,
Alton,
Staffordshire,
ST10 4DB.

To ensure that they can respond to your feedback fully, please ensure that you include the following in any correspondence:
* Title and full name
* Address
* Telephone number
* Proof of purchase from your visit - this can include your tickets, receipt or a copy of your bank statement. If you are using the online feedback form, please include your ticket numbers or hotel booking reference. The ticket number can be found underneath the barcode.

Topic locked.