UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Improvements/General Trip Report

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Credit to Alton Towers, all the big rides were in good, working order as usual. Of these, Oblivion was my first endevour. Not much to report here, got on very fast thanks to the single rider queue. I still recommend hanging lose and letting your limbs freely dangle for the drop. It makes it feel so much better than being all braced up and clenching at the restraint handles and this may sound crass and morbid but you basically get a sense of what it would be like to commit suicide.

Fog
One thing which I, personally was very happy about, was an increased presence of fog. The last 2 times I've been, the Haunted House had no haze and I've never seen fog in the Octagon of Hex until today. I really like fog, its a dramatic, immersive effect. Its like a part of the scene/set you literally can walk through and breathe...And I think a themepark should find any excuse to use it. There was also fog at the beginning of The Smiler which was also absent last time I went.

Hex
I rode hex twice and both times people needed to be prompted to move up the stairs and out of the Octagon. I did sheepishly yell (trying desperately not to sound rude) "MOVE FORWARD" but no one heard me.
The Haunted House
I noticed there were some new cobwebs in the spider section - very nice...And I think they've also angled/barn doored/shuttered lights so that less of the warehouse and its interior structures are visible.

Cats
I didn't see any cats this time or last 2 times I went. I really hope they haven't got rid of them as I love the juxtaposition of having cats in a theme park.

All together I am pleased with the maintenance efforts/upkeep of Alton Towers this visit.

lucozade
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Improvements/General Trip Report

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 am

The burger joint next to the last sky gondola station was empty but outside was a ness with litter dirty tables and overflowing bins... Not very nice & tarnished a perfect theme park trip.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Ah really? That is the one place I didn't go.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:35 pm

THE SMILER'S FOG IS BACK? :D

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Yep, was on park yesterday, it was working on the last ride of the day and had apparently worked all day! Let's hope it stays.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 pm

I hope it does, I've never been fortunate enough to ride it with the smoke effects on the indoor drop.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Its brilliant, more mist on Oblivion as well and even smoke out of the mushroom bus on nemesis around every 5 or so trains!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:08 pm

The fog on Smiler has been hit and miss all season.

It does look awesome though as the lights flash and the train moves through the mist it kinda does this. Really nice feature.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

lucozade
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:00 pm

The 1st twist on smiler is my fave ever. I wish it had smoke when I had been.