UK theme parks from another point of view!

dstone_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

2005 theme park reviews

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:25 pm

I have done a review of all of the parks that i have visted this ear, sorry about the length, enjoy
Alton Towers—Trips 31
Probly my favourite park that I have visited this year. The new ride Rita was a little disappointing, but with all of the improvements on last year iathen the small things like the nemmie waterfalls being switched back on, and the oblivion mist returning have made it great. Allways found the staff up for a chat and friendly, and they can iathen make the worst days fun, shame one took a teddy of me thoguth(nikki!)
Top 5 rides
1)corkscrew—my first eva roller coaster so it will always be one of my favourites, it’s a shame there is a massive red beast around it now but I still don’t see how people find it painful and it is one of my highest counts this year.
2)Oblivion—The worlds first virlul drop roller coaster-always fun to ride and is struggling to pull queues this year, I still get a massive adrenalin rush off it and has always bean one of my favourites.
3)nemmie—Always liked this ride, the hype and feeling around just adds to the ride experience, and its one of them rides that I can’t see Alton without
4)ripsaw-great flat ride, always get a fun soaking
5)Air-great feeling, shame about the down time, one of the funest rides at the towers and always worth a visit if the queues are short.

Rateings(/10)
Rides-9
Atmosphir-8
Food-5
Value-8
Opening times-7
Access-6
Queue length-7
Staff-9(nikki )
Overall-8

Blackpool pleasure beach—Trips 5
A park that I aren’t that fond of on the coast. There have bean a lot of SBNH rides this year and I feel that the prices don’t represent the rides, easpecly this year as there have bean so many of the classics closing and just sat there.

Top 5 rides
1)Grand nat—The reason I still visit BPB, a great woddie which was out back to forma glory over the closed season after the unfortunate fire last year, just a shame there were only 2 train for the season but still a great experience.
2)Big dipper—another woddie classic, steep drops and always a laugh, again one of the reasons I still visit Blackpool, and the ride never attracts a queue and a great classic
3)Pepsi max big one—once the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world this ride docent’s do much for me, yet I just like the feeling that you are hanging out of your seat and with only lap bars. Another thing I like is scaring first time riders, as I usually sit with other peeps and this girl once tried to slap me coz I lithely make her wet herself for putting my hands up on the first drop.
4)Valhalla- my 3rd favourite water ride in the country, well themed and also soaks you to pieces and there was one day where we went on in the snow then got so cold Scott actually came in a arcade to warm up.
5) Spin dr—shame the ride is leaving as it’s a fun flat ride, just spins you right round baby lol

Rateings(/10)
Rides-6
Atmosphir-4
Food-6
Value-4
Opening times-9
Access-8
Queue length-8
Staff-3(one mr happy)
Overall-5

Drayton manor park—Trips 4
A small park, near Drayton which in my option is very underrated. It is a great day out set around a few key rides with the zoo also in the park which is always worth a visit. I also love the atmosphere in the park always great for all and it is one of the parks that I have always felt excepted in, as the place isn’t swarming with security that intimidate everyone. (also bean very lucky in the arcade, over 60 quid up over the season!)
Top 5 rides
1) G force—I can’t believe this ride is at Drayton, is probly my favourite ride in the country now, lap bars on a inverted coaster as well as going upside down on a lift hill, would have bean good a little longer but ever since the rides opening I have loved it! Also the queue line is a one of a kind, can’t be beaten!
2)Stormforce 10—another ride that I am in love with, my favourite water ride in the country, I love the theming very little that can go wrong, along with a great ride that raises a lot of money for a great cause. Another one that you can’t help getting soaked on thought!
3)Apothlipse—Three options make up this drop tower-sitting, standing, standing floorless, and i still can’t get over how good a simple ride is, as you are lifted you are titled forward causing you to get a good view of the ever getting smaller intill you reach 200ft, then you are just let go and free fall 180ft before getting stopped by electro magnet, a super ride
4)shockwave—the first standing roller coaster in Europe and the last of the big 3 that opened in 1994, and the first of Drayton’s big rides. It is only a row of loops, twists and corkscrews but it was a massive achievement for a £2million budget, and still always worth a ride, hopefully car 2 will be fixed for next year.
5) Pandemonium—great swinger inverter, super fun shame the hydraulics are pretty knackered now thought!
Rateings(/10)

Rides-7
Atmosphir-9
Food-4
Value-9
Opening times-5
Access-5
Queue length-9
Staff-5
Overall-7

Southport Pleasure land—Trips 3
Blackpool’s little sister, and I must say she shows up Blackpool, a small park and another underrated one, always had fun whenever riding at the place and thought not many the rides are great.
Top 5 rides
1)traumatizer—A great inverted coaster, super fun but has a nasty habit of vallying(for photos plz ask me). Get quite a bit of speed and the G’s it pulls are ausum, yet I have bean known to have to wait for others to come as they won’t set it off with only me on it 
2)Cyclone—great woodie, fun to ride yet some parts are quite bouring, but still a fun little ride
3)chaos—the only chaos type ride in Europe and the only ride that I carn;t ride more than twice in a row without throwing up, it litruly spins you iun all directions and it shauly the best flat ride in the country.
4)king solvens mines-wild mouse coaster with sharp turns and drops that throw you out of your seat, and with one a seat belt that is worrying
5)dodgems—What else do I say, classic ride we all know what they do !

Rides-6
Atmosphir-8
Food-2
Value-10
Opening times-5
Access-7
Queue length-9
Staff-6
Overall-6

Thorpe Park—trips 2
A member of the Tussauds group, along with Alton and chessington. Shame the park is in London as it has some good rides and is getting better every year. This year’s additions were some of the best, and I am a great fan of slammer. Shame I’m always tiered when I go dew to a long train journey, but it’s always worth it and next year is really looking good for the park.
Top 5 rides
1)Nemesis Inferno—a diverge of the original one at Alton, I like the first drop into the volcano and it is just so much fun because it’s much easier to get cameras onto as they never come and get them off you on the lift as it’s so far from the station, also allow re-rids which his always good. The forces aren’t that good but a fun ride.
2)Slammer—the ultmte free fall experience, 360 strait round, don’t get the resents, shauly OTS’s would of bean more effective but still once the ride starts and we reach the top it is fun to say the least!
3)tidel wave—unfortunately I didn’t get on this ride this year but nothing can beat crashing through a 30ft wave, no way around it you are getting drenched when that wave smashes down on your head, not iathen safe on the exit bridge!
4)rush-The world largest giant swing, need I say more you get a massive, well rush from it !
5)vortex—again what can I say I love gravity swings, the negative g’s are the best but the floor takes for eva to raise and lower, can effect loading times
Rides-8
Atmosphir-6
Food-5
Value-8
Opening times-6
Access-5
Queue length-7
Staff-7
Overall-7

Brune leisure centre—Trips 1
I aint posting ride reviews for this place, but I love it, very small place with more or less the best collection of flat rides in the country, lacks on the roller coaster front but very small and cheep, never gets queues, your allowed re-rides, a great park which not many have heard of.
Rides-5
Atmosphir-10
Food-7
Value-9
Opening times-4
Access-5
Queue length-9
Staff-8
Overall-7

Chessington world of adventure—Trips 1
The last of the Tussauds parks and it’s the family one. Great atmosphere in the place, iathin if I am not allowed on much, shame old bubbleworks has left us, great childhood memories of the ride, and thank you for a great 15 years
Top rides
Vampire—Great inverted coaster, unbelievable amount of swing, no inversions but the track is so much thinner than most modern tracks.
Dragons fury—Great spinning wild mouse, always fun!
Rattlesnake—Another wild mouse ride, only one i know with photos on it, fun and all Tussauds parks should have one
Ramps revenge—all I can say is wet on a top spin, yay!
Rides-6
Atmosphir-9
Food-3
Value-7
Opening times-6
Access-7
Queue length-6
Staff-6
Overall-6

Also visited—Port aventura(spain)
Rides-3
Atmosphir-3
Food-6
Value-2
Opening times-7
Access-2
Queue length-2
Staff-4
Overall-3

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

Mikeb100
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Very interesting Dave shame u cant spell

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:42 pm

Mikeb100 your post was extremely interesting especially the part where you said 'Shame u can't spell' u = you.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:29 pm

MikeB100

Nasty comments towards other members are not apreciated on this forum thank you. Please check the forum guidelines for further information.

Ironic really though as Lauzi pointed out, Shame you can't punctuate and refrain from using text language.

Have a nice day.

Back on topic now i think...

Sazzle

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:29 pm

No offence 'Mike', but you're a bit of a tosser? Oh, and its "can't".

Maybe you need to put your brain in gear before you type a post out, or rather, type pointless, offensive spam.

You have no idea of the reasons for David's spelling, and if you cared to empathise a little, you may open your mind to such factors as 'dyslexia' which is a very common problem in society today. Yes we have a spellchecker, but it sometimes suggests the wrong word. I will leave David to let you know the reasons for the 'omfgz u iz a crap spella innit', but I find what you said deeply offensive, and I'm not even on the receiving end.

I will be deeply disappointed if you don't receive at the VERY least a strongly worded private message from a member of team about your attitude.

You are a very, very, unpopular little boy in my eyes.

MikeB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:15 pm

Nice report there dave. As i've only been to AT and BPB your report has given me an insight to the other parks around the country. Hopefully i'll get to visit some more next year!

Anonymous

Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Here is my 2005 park review!!

2005 park reviews

Alton Towers – Trips 14

It’s been a really good season of trips to Alton Towers during 2005. I only got there 3 times last year, so I defiantly upgraded this year and only two of them trips I had my annual pass. I hadn’t been on Nemesis and Ripsaw (obviously not Rita but that’s new) before 2005 so I had to do them at some point of the season. I managed to do Nemesis during my first visit of the year, it was really enjoyable and led me to a year of fantastic rides on Nemesis. Also did Ripsaw, but that took a while and it wasn’t even that good.

Top 5 rides

1) Nemesis – 9/10
2) Oblivion – 8/10
3) Spinball Whizzer – 7/10
4) Air – 6/10
5) Rita – 4.5/10 I am afraid that this ride was the biggest let down of 2005, it really is a crap rollercoaster.

Blackpool pleasure beach — Trips 14
In my eyes it’s still the best park in the UK, tradition, history and the wonderful atmosphere moves it ahead of any other UK park. I went on Spin Doctor and Bling for the first time during the season. I was really scared during my first ride on Bling, but since then I’ve loved the ride where as with Spin Doctor its not so great and it’s never really lived up to how scary it could be when I’ve been on it.

Top 5 rides

1)PMBO – 9/10 Still amazing, it may be rough but not all coasters are meant to be smooth, you can’t expect that every record breaking coaster will be smooth.

2)Grand National – 8/10 This ride is great for air time and even better when you don’t have the lap bar down!

3)Bling – 7.5/10 If your lucky you will get a really good cycle on Bling and on many times I have, that’s why I love this ride so much.

4)Big Dipper – 7/10 Quality classical BPB woodie that deserves the credit it gets. Nice air time and a nice layout.

5)Log Flume – 7/10 I prefer BD just a bit more than this, but this really is a great log flume the best in the country IMO, it never fails to give you any fun.

DMP – 1 trip

I only managed to fit in one visit to this good little park but that was because of crappy transport to the place, thankfully I got a lift there which wasn’t crappy at all. I’d never been on anything there, so going on Shockwave, G-Force and Apocalypse was quite an experience. I found my trip to DMP as one of best I’d had all year, was a really good day out, I think it has to be one of my top 5 trips of the year.

Top 5 rides

1)Apocalypse 8/10 – I vote this my favourite because I’ve never been so scared in my life. It’s a really scary feeling standing on a ride 200ft in the air, it was a very very scary experience but one I enjoyed.

2)Shockwave 7/10 – For the small budget DMP had when designing this coaster; they’ve done a bloody good job. The vertical loop is really good and it’s the only UK coaster to have a zero G inversion or whatever it’s called.

3)Stormforce 10, 6/10 – Ah what a cool water ride, it certainly does the trick if you plan on getting soaked.

4)G-Force 6/10 – Just manages to get a 6 this one, its layout is crap and the restrains don’t feel safe at all or they are down to tightly and give you gut pains. It’s OK, but nothing special.

5)Buffalo ride 5/10 – It’s a cool kiddie coaster, just had to include it in my top 5.

Thorpe Park – 1 trip

2005 I got my visit to Thorpe Park, finally! In my opinion this park WILL become better than Alton Towers, they keep the queues moving and it’s a really good park. It’s a shame its only got two coasters, but soon Stealth will be opening, that will be a treat! Tidal Wave was shut on my visit, I must get a ride on that next year!

Top 5 rides

1)Nemesis Inferno – 9/10 I loved this ride so much and it’s so much different in layout and theme terms compared to Nemesis at Alton. The rides don’t deserve to be compared, so leave them alone there both amazing.

2)Rush – 8/10 Ah another ride I loved, the air time was awesome and the restrains don’t make you feel safe at all. Great ride!

3)Samurai – 7/5/10 Ah what a fun ride this was, intense settings and a real cracker. Shame the restrains are a better dodgy.

4)Colossus – 7/10 I liked this ride, but the fact that the seats are so dodgy and uncomfortable knocks its score right down. It was far to rough for my liking.

5)Vortex – 6.5/10 Not as forceful as I expected, but it was a fun ride, dodgy restrains though.

Oh and heres my end of season video to go with it, plenty of AT and BPB footage.

www.patmagic.net/coasters/End%20Of%20Se ... 202005.wmv

Robert
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:44 pm

"Mikeb100" wrote:

If you have a problem or want to say abusive comments to my brother (the one you insulted) then say them towards me and we'll see who comes out on top.

Another quick point, we don't have a spell checker at the moment ;)

Anonymous

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:03 pm

My 2005 Park Review

Alton Towers: 13 visits.

So much better this year than previous years. Rita is a fantastic addition to the park and has given UgLand a new lease of life in my opinion. The place is looking wholly cleaner, tidier etc and with TTF trips starting in full flow this year, I can finally enjoy my number one day out with like-minded people. Breakdowns have been minimal this year compared to other years, staff have been friendly and helpful and the Tavern is still serving alcohol. :)
Great year for the park in my eyes!

Rides: 10
Atmosphere: 10
Food: 7
Staff: 9
Value: 8
Queue lengths: (not that bad!) 8

Overall: 9/10

Thorpe Park: 6 visits

My local park now, joint with Chessington, so I had great fun visiting and revisiting towards the end of the season. The park is moving from strength to strength, two new rides for this season and the construction of a major one is always fun. Rush, I feel, is the stronger, better ride of the two and it's now taking me more than a couple of hours to do all the rides. Next year should be a fab year for the park, seeing as they've made a loss this year.

Rides: 7
Atmosphere: 9
Food: 9
Staff: 5 (always look miserable!)
Value: 5 (cannot believe for a day ticket, it's more expensive than Alton. *kisses annual pass*)
Queue lengths: 9

Overall, 7.5/10

Chessington World of Adventures: 1 visit

Lost my Chessington virginity the week before it closed for the year, with thanks to Adz-TTF. ;) Had a great day, it's a fab little park with some amazing theming and some decent rides to keep us occupied. Particularly love the theming of Tomb Blaster and Dragon Falls, and loving the experience offered by Vampire. Rattlesnake was too painful and not fun, and I found out that Dragon's Fury really is no better and no worse than Spinball Whizzer. :) Can't wait to go again.

Rides: 6
Atmosphere: 8
Food: 6
Staff: 7
Value: 7
Queue lengths: (not really a fair score as I went on one of the Hallowe'en nights) 4.

Overall: 6/10

Drayton Manor Park: 1 visit

I do love this park. It's very underrated, and while maintenance has quite obviously been neglected of late, the rides are still same as always and offer a brilliant day out. G-Force was a great ride, a completely new experience for me, and I loved it. Came off completely exhilerated. Theme clashes somewhat, though.

Rides: 7
Atmosphere: 7
Food: 5
Staff: 6
Value: 9
Queue lengths: 8

Overall: 7/10.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:32 pm

I haven't done alot this year, Alton Towers and Thorpe Park both once but my mum is the only one who can get us up there (except for my oldest sister but she's a bit of a lazy poo). My mum don't like driving so she would drive up there max twice a year.

Anyway, it has been a good visit to both parks this year as it was my first time(s) riding Colossus (about bloody time, i'de chickened out twice), Rita - Queen Of Speed, Air and Oblivion and The Flume.

Alton Towers - The 1 Trip

We went on October 27th and it was a lovely day which was bad news because, worse it is, less people there are usually. So we had a good 2 hours 15-30 mins drive in the car. It was my mum, my mate, mu sister, her mate and me. Went to advanced ticket collection as we pre-booked. Park opened on time. Did the big rides first; my first ride on Rita (which is great all way through), Oblivion and Air which are all brilliant rides. Got food. Rode rest of rides including my sixth time on Nemesis and then went on Oblivion twice more. The Flume is good but is too hyped up. Went home. I think that Rita is a great addition to the park and does liven up UG Land but is sort of a 'space filler'. All the rides are great, Duel was not as good as expected, prefer Haunted House. The queues wern't too bad. Staff seemed ok and food was fine except these tacky chips which tasted solid :-?. It was a great trip.

Rides: 9
Food: 8
Staff: 9
Queue lengths: 9

Overall: 9/10

Top 5 Rides of Alton Towers:
1) Nemesis (Love everything about it)
2) Rita - Queen of Speed (Love the launch)
3) Air (You're on your stomach and back!)
4) Oblivion (Great adrenaline rush and fantastic suspense on drop)
5) Runaway Mine train (May not be a big thrill ride but i love it)

Thorpe Park
- The 1 Trip

We went on the 31st of July which was in the summer holidays. It was me, my mum and 2 of my sisters. We arrived about 20 minutes before the park opened. It opened and we headed for my first ride on Colossus which was about time for me as i have chickened out a couple of times. I loved every second, except when you hit you're head, ouch! Managed to ride that 4 times. Then went on all the other rides that wern't new, Nemesis Inferno, Logger's Leap, Tidal Wave, Vortex etc. Rush i didn't get a chance to go on and didn't bother with Slammer. Came home. It was a brillaint visit, Colossus is a great ride which is well built around it's area. The stunt show could of been better and longer. Queue's wern't bad at all, most we queued was about 40 mins for Vortex. Food was great as always and staff attended a breakdown on Vortex quickly. A perfect day! Can't wait until Project Stealth opens. Will hopefully be there on opening day, be first to ride it :D

Rides: 9
Food: 10
Staff: 10
Queue lengths: 10

Overall: 9.5/10

Top 5 Rides of Thorpe Park:
1) Colossus (10 Loops! Dizziness, great ride)
2) Vortex (Gs are strong when at top speed, love it)
3) Nemesis Inferno (Great speed, Gs and excitement)
4) Tidal Wave (You get soaked! A great laugh)
5) Loggers Leap (The ultimate relaxing family ride :D)

It's a been a good year for both parks and have both have had great installments.

My Top 5 Rides of 2005 are:
1) Nemesis
2) Colossus
3) Rita - Queen of Speed
4) Air
5) Vortex

Planned trips next season:
Alton Towers: 2
Thorpe Park: 2, possibly 3

Wez
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:27 am

"Robert""][quote=""Mikeb100" wrote:

If you have a problem or want to say abusive comments to my brother (the one you insulted) then say them towards me and we'll see who comes out on top.
[/quote]

:lol: Classic.

You can both virtually square up and virtually kick the poop out of each other :P

Robert, if you really want to urinate on Mike's bonifre then just ignore him. If you ignore an idiot for long enough then they explode.fact. Barry Scott told me.
The best, most informed enthusiast EVER!!111

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Ooooh, nice and long, that's what I like to see. :)

Okay, my turn (Yes I am aware that I am a couple of months late with this):

Liseberg, Sweden (ECC Trip)

Balder: A tad slow to get going, but once it did, with the help of a little rain, it was cool (well we were in Sweden), good solid airtime, it just lacked the intensity I was really hoping for).

7/10

Kanonen: This was the reason why we were there, good powerful launch, great top hat element, the rest of it was pretty lame, it was too slow, bumpy, and rather uneventful. People will say it is a good ride for the space, but in all honesty, they could have done better.

6/10

Hospitality: 9/10 they looked after us well
Food: 6/10 nothing special, though I wasn't expecting lobster
Beer (a key part of my reviewing process): 7/10 not very nice, but it was FREE :D
Landscaping: 8/10 Lisbergbanan is really well located
Staff: Very quick, and very friendly (I like the Swedes). 9/10
Theming: Very pleasent, but it strictly speaknig isn't a theme park. 7/10

Other comments: What happened to the fit girl they promised us at McDonalds?

BPB (ECC Trip)

I'll bez through this one.

Nash: 7/10 hopefully these new trains will not require me to have a leg amputation, great fun shouting LOSERS to guys in the other train. I was a tad dissapointed.

Big One: Boring as ever, still gives me the gitters looking up at it though.

5/10

Big Dipper: Still my favourite ride there, not the most thrilling, but still great fun, esecially when it dives under the other rides.

8/10

Wild Mouse Didn't ride.

Steeplechase: Great for self harming.

4/10

Zipper dipper: nice ride, nice colour, nice staff, very nice.

6/10

Roller Coaster: Charming.

6/10

Space Invader 2: Never rode the original, but it was good, decent g-forces, cheap theming (yuk), not as good as a Jet Star though. 6/10

Hospitality: 7/10 good, but if they serve us chicken and chips again, I will proable do something which involves dangling them off the Big One :twisted:
Food: standard theme park food, shame, but I didn't complain, except till now 6/10
Beer: I was on shandies as I was hung over from the previous night (why did I go clubbing with Dan Spooner?). N/A.
Landscaping: Very little, but what was there was used quite well. 5/10
Staff: Good, efficient, that's about it. 7/10
Theming: Alright, a bit mish mash, a possible improvement, to unify it all a bit more. 6/10

Other comments: How long has it been, 10 years since they've added something new? Get your acts together. Hopefully this Mack water coaster (if they build it), will take some of the strain off.
[size=150]Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.

Waiting for the worms to call.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:29 pm

You do all realise that Mike and Dave are actually friends dont you?

Anyway, S3 V2.1 your a bit behind arent you :-? :P :roll:

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 pm

S3 nice to see you on here :D .

Hopefully when next years Trip reports of the year come around you will have a few more parks added on there :D

If i manage to get myself to a decent ammount of parks i would type some reveiws up on them :)
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:39 am

"Bicko101" wrote:
You do all realise that Mike and Dave are actually friends dont you?

Anyway, S3 V2.1 your a bit behind arent you :-? :P :roll:

Oooooh the rocket scientist. :wink:
[size=150]Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.

Waiting for the worms to call.