UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW6 Construction Part Two

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Don't rule out a tunnel idea though. I'd still love to see one. Not a proper fat hole going from the pit to the trench, which we know isn't going to happen, but that bit of track that comes out of the hole could still be covered by some sort of structure to keep you in the dark, increasing the fear factor. Or it could be that the pit and the beginning of the trench will both be in darkness. You'll be in darkness, shoot up to ground level, before suddenly shooting back down.

Oooh that'd be awesome to see from a spectator's point of view as well. As they are seeing very little of the ride, they intermittently see the track poke its nose above the ground then dive back down.
Formerly "Dagoo"

caetaylor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:46 pm

This is what I was trying to say yesterday. As there is a "gap" in the track on the plans the part of the track with the steep drop will more than likely be part inside the building and I belive partly undercover by a short tunnel.

bohoboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 pm

"Rollercoaster 4 Life""][quote=""bohoboy" wrote:
There was no plausibility in a tunnel from the moment a trench wasn't cut joining the pit and the helix trench. As has been said too many times already, any tunnel would have to be cut and cover, how else would you be able to install the sections of track if you can't crane them into place?

A crane lowers the pieces into the trench and then a movable cart with jacks on it could of been used to raise and lower the track. I thought the same as what RideRita did - it did look like there would be a tunnel following through to the hole until yesterday when I saw that it wasn't the case.[/quote]

This is getting really off topic, but there are so many reasons why that wouldn't be physically possible, negotiating supports and removing said vehicle once the track was installed being just two.
That aside, the cost of cut and cover would be extremely cheaper than engineering an excavated tunnel and installing the track in it.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Had some more info from the guy who told me there was a tunnel. He says its not a tunnel like oblivion, rather more of a covered section.

The covered section will probably be the helix. My guess is that it will be "underground" with roots and stuff.

On topic: That drop looks damn steep

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:28 pm

My thoughts are that they'll want to hide the backwards section from public view.

This would mean lots of trees, roots etc. could be used to give theming of a woodland.

andy_sj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:32 pm

By the looks of the way that latest bit of track goes I reckon they might still put it in a tunnel, they'll just cover it over with something if they want it in a tunnel, its a lot easier, theres no point messing about when you can do a cut and cover job, thats how Oblivions tunnel was built. Obviously this won't be deep underground like Oblivion but I still think they will cover part of the track with something.

Bailey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

some more construction pics thanks to AJ Cole

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3980011048/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3980011048/[/url]

Big Dave

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Some weird supports going on there lol

pfleety
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Loads going on today guys!

Pete,

AstroDan

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Wowwww! Loads going on indeed!

They have done a LOT in the past few days!

:D :D :D

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Woo, this is really exciting. Looking forward to seeing the building more than anything though! :D

DiogoJ42

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

great pics, but I hate to say it... it looks more like a kiddy coaster than ever. I hope I'm wrong. [-o<

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 pm

I haven't even had chance to comment on the construction since the ride has officially gone vertical. I find it amazing how quickly they can build a rollercoaster these days.
The changes lately have been remarkable.

Look at the difference between these 2 photos.

18th September (A little over 2 weeks ago) Picture from ATA
Today Picture from pfleety

This photo shows brilliantly what the change in height will be like inside the building.

"Diogoj42" wrote:
great pics, but I hate to say it... it looks more like a kiddy coaster than ever. I hope I'm wrong. [-o<

The only track in place so far will be the least thrilling parts of the ride, the thrilling parts will be in the woodland.

--------

These pictures have got me even more excited for my Scarefest trip. The scale of the site blew me away in August when there where a few holes.
You cannot really get the scale of everything from the photos.

pfleety
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:53 pm

"Diogoj42" wrote:

if you saw the first drop its very very steep :P although walking into ugland i too thought it was a kiddie thing!

Pete,

DiogoJ42

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm

I think only time will tell.

Michaél
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Very cool. Can't wait for more pictures!. The construction is getting faster and faster! :D

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 pm

It's getting very exciting now, and construction is happening at a rapid rate! I'm guessing that a lot more track will be going up during the week!

:D

bushboy2

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:15 pm

All this talk of a tilt track? :?

That is 100% either a vertical drop section or lift section. The exit track is horizontal, directly below the entrance track. If it were to tilt, it would either have a very very uncomfortable exit or the tilt section is of a design we have never seen before.

I am expecting a drop. Would make it a worlds first, after all.
Last edited by bushboy2 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm

agreed.

A5H

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 pm

It concerns me how "kiddy" this rollercoaster is looking, as Diogo said though, only time will tell. I'm sure the Towers won't let us down though, they wouldn't call it a Secret Weapon if it wasn't going to be amazing. :)