UK theme parks from another point of view!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

RCT3 Project: Alyeska Theme Park and Resort

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Recently, Rupert Entertainments obtained a large swath of flat land in Florida, near Orlando. They hope to build a big, immersive, well themed park and resort with exciting coasters and beautiful landscape. Hopefully it will be able to compete with Disney, Universal and Seaworld.

Construction has begun on the first two zones of the park: a medieval village with castle and a prehistoric, dinosaur-themed area. Work on the medieval area and it's B&M sit-down is nearly complete. Unfortunately, as it is an extended spring break in Florida most of the workforce is away, leaving construction to proceed at a slow pace. The management apologise if updates are slow because of this. The first set of construction photos are included below.

ImageGauntlet - the B&M sit-down themed about a castle, with an unusual layout for this type of coaster. This is because the company wanted to include interlocking cobra rolls, as well as a misty tunnel and zero-g rolls. There were originally 2 loops before the second cobra roll, but these were taken out as they resulted in a loss of too much speed and made that section too intense.
Overview: Image
Interlocking corkscrews, tunnel and castle: Image
Entrance to the tunnel: Image
Final brake run with portcullis to station: Image

In the shadow of the castle construction has almost finished on a bustling medieval village, complete with shops and eateries. One or two flat rides may be added here, at least a traditional merry-go-round.

A food court has also been set up in the woods above the castle, although part of this may be converted to a gentle flat ride to complement the Topscan visible in the background:

A bridge crossing Gauntlet links the medieval area to the prehistoric dinosaur area:
Image (thanks to Diogo for revealing how to make the bridge)

Currently construction of just one ride is almost complete, a twisting woodie named T-Rex, with supports almost complete. The management regret not using Intamin's prefabricated supports, as every single beam in the support structure was laid separately, resulting in construction taking many months. All that is left is for the track to be laid and the station building to be finished:

The management would like to construct a junior/kiddie/family coaster in the space next to Gauntlet, but are unsure what to build. Suggestions from the public are very welcome.

The next steps for the park are to construct a water ride (probably log flume) in the prehistoric area, construct the family coaster in the medieval area, construct a hotel and waterpark next to the entrance and then continue expansion. Once the first two areas are complete the park hope to open to the public.
:D

DiogoJ42

Re: RCT3 Project: Alyeska Theme Park and Resort

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Wowser... this looks like it could be an epic park!

I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

A5H

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Looks amazing so far :) The detail on the medieval area is very nice!
Can't wait to see the new rollercoaster to be finished and the theming for it! :D

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

This park looks good and is incredibly well themed. :D

I suggest that for the new kiddies ride i would build a spiral coaster with a few tunnels.

Also I say well done to that castle it must have took hours to make - well done.
Last edited by Ritadz on Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 pm

WOW! Thats incredible! Loving it so far :D
Looking forward to see what's coming out of this park, could be interesting :)

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Interlocking cobra rolls, that's original. The park is looking very impressive. I look forward to seeing the prehistoric woody.

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks guys :D

I'm trying to keep it really well themed but unfortunately takes a while as i'm sure most of you know. It's also my first park with custom scenery so I take some time to get to grips with it and get new sets. Another problem I have is that I contour the land as I go, rather than starting with a landscape made before I started building rides, simply because I hadn't thought of doing it that way round. Quick question - how do people support ATH's catwalks? Mine are mostly floating.

For the family coaster I was thinking spiral, spinning mouse or Junior coaster. I'd really like to have a Gerstlauer Bobsled but not quite sure how to do it.

T-Rex's station has been complete, going with a standard minimal wooden station, then hopefully extensively theming the area and log flume (yet to be started). There will also be a railway linking the lands, with parallel track operating in different directions to move peeps around en masse, but obviously as so little of the park is complete this will be one of the last things to be finished.

Thanks for the comments, will try update you with the woodie tomorrow. :D

DiogoJ42

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:39 am

I've yet to find a good way to attatch ATH's catwalks to the track. It's the only flaw with an otherwise perfect CSO set.

A Gerstlauer Bobsled CTR can be found here .

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks! Now just have to work out how to use CTRs :P

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:15 pm

If you want to try using your own with the Custom Ride Creator I can PM you a solution. I worked it out a week ago and might be able to offer a few CTR getting started hints. Unlike the online guides I can’t do anything complex or use complicated terms so I could be easier to understand.
Hopefully :roll:

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow thanks!

Thing is, as I have absolutely no experience with them I'm not sure quite what I want/need. Is it that I need to mix a number of different types of coaster tracks and then add a car type on top?

So yeah Nightfall any help you could give would be much appreciated!

----Post Info Added----

Construction of the woodie - T-Rex - is complete! The management apologise for the delay, most workers are still on spring break.

Ride Overview:

DiogoJ42

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:43 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hats off to you sir! That is possibly the best woody I have ever seen in RCT3! The layout looks perfect... I always like triangular footprint coasters! Excellent use of diagonals!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 pm

"Diogoj42" wrote:
Hats off to you sir! That is possibly the best woody I have ever seen in RCT3! The layout looks perfect...

Coming from the guy who built The Inquisitor, praise indeed! Many thanks. :D

The layout in fact was the easy part, it was the supports that took time. But I think the end result was worth it. There are plenty of headchoppers and the track twists around itself a fair bit.

Now I just have to theme the rest of the land! I've just built the queueline so will hopefully be adding in a couple of flats soon, then the water ride. Still need to build the bobsled! I've also started construction of the railway, which you can see crossing the river in the first photo of T-Rex.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:09 am

I completely agree with Diogoj that is the best RCT wooden coaster I have ever seen. When I say that I mean that when most people design a ride they base it on a real roller coaster. You have design the ride for RCT and so it looks just right.
Epic! :shock: :clap:

I’m not surprised the supports gave you grief, they were a pain to use on my simple "Grip" lift hills and I know it took Diogoj ages with Blithering Lodge.

PS. I’ve been having a few problems with CTR so if you hit the same problems when having a go with the tutorial I can update it with the solutions.

Edit: No problem if you haven't had time, I have been busy with uni to, just thought I’d warn you it’s not perfect.
Last edited by Nightfall on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 9:36 pm

"Nightfall" wrote:
PS. I’ve been having a few problems with CTR so if you hit the same problems when having a go with the tutorial I can update it with the solutions.

Ah really sorry but still haven't had time, uni has been crazy recently! But wow that tutorial is amazing, thanks again. Only been able to build T-Rex's queueline.

Next job tho, is build the bobsled! Then the medieval area (name ideas anyone?) will be complete.

----UPDATE----

Sorry about the really long delay, university has been intense and my medieval area (unoriginally "Camelot") has grown accidently so it's taken a little longer than expected. Anyway, to prove I have been doing something here is a little preview, there will be more to follow when I make it look nice. Comments always appreciated :D

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 28, 2010 9:59 pm

It's looking excellent, great idea to put the towers between the corners.
I can't help noticing it's medieval season at the minute :) with the exception off Diogos new air base the last few updated parks have al been medieval. However they all seem to be a bit different. The woodland section of this area sets it apart.
Can’t wait to see the completed ride. :D

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 pm

One word 'wow!'... your park is amazing so far

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks guys :D . Funny you say that Nightfall, I was recently thinking about the abundance of medieval themes, but luckily as you say they're all pretty different so high five. Anyway, time for big update time. :yes:

Alyeska Theme Park and Resort is proud to announce the completion of its newest area, Camelot. This heavily themed area takes guests back in time to the middle ages, with an immersive castle village full of shops and eateries as well as rides for all the family. Here is an aerial shot of the entire area:

As well as the huge B&M, Gauntlet, a Gerstlauer Bobsled named The Woodcutter has been built for all of the family to enjoy. The park called in Hubert Gerstlauer himself after the park's own failed attempt to design their own.

The coaster's station is found inside the village church, after the queueline works its way around the sleepy graveyard and past an old castle:

The trains depart and are slowly taken over a bridge into the old lumber mill, where they witness the mechanical saws cutting wood. This slow section allows more vehicles to be blocked onto the track, improving throughput:

When leaving the mill, the cars are sent to retrieve more wood, so ascend the lift hill into the trees. Upon reaching the top, cars are sent into a long curving drop at speed and then back up to a set of black brakes. They then swoop down the other direction and into a rising helix around an old watchtower, before coming out of the spiral into some more block brakes.

After the brakes, cars are quickly thrown into trick-track around the castle's old stone towers, then swung around a curving drop into a couple of bunny hops that Hubert Gerstlauer insisted were incorporated into the ride:

The cars are then swung out over the lake and through a vine-covered tunnel under the second bunny hop, before arriving at another set of block brakes:

The cars then meander along the ground before a final curved drop under the initial bridge then curve upwards into the final brake run, then head into the calm interior of the church where riders exit the ride:

The castle town has a number of shops, stalls and places to eat, as well as a ferris wheel overlooking the river. A riverboat transport is also situated here to transport guests to the rest of the park:

The arched vaults of the town hide the station for the park's steam train, another way for guests to travel around the park. Above the station are toilets in a themed cottage and a walkway around the town's old stone walls:

Finally, a teacups ride and a riverside walk have been provided for the young and old members of the family:

The park hopes to open soon, and always welcomes feedback from the public.

Thanks to Nightfall for help with CTRs and Diogoj42 for inspiration from Skitzo Squirrel for supports. Also, sorry if this post is too picture heavy, some can always be removed from the end if necessary.

DiogoJ42

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:49 pm

:shock:

Seriously, WOW. That's just incredible.
I think you win the medieval themed ride contest! :P

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:04 pm

Sorry it's been a while guys, I got a little carried away!