UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Gruntpuddle Park

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:28 pm

I've watched your ride.

I've watched The War Game.

I've watched Threads.

I hate this music.

DiogoJ42

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:34 pm

"Dorsia" wrote:

Take yourself to Kelvedon Hatch in Essex. If you think that sound is creepy in the comfort of your own home, imagine what it sounds like when you are in a nuclear bunker, surrounded by mannequins in full NBC suites!

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:54 pm

*shudders*

No.

Mannequins as well?

No.

They pretend it's an educational place, but they just want to scare people.

I even thought Threads hadn't bothered me, but then I found myself thinking about the ending and got chills.

Seriously though, mannequins and spooky music can piss off! :P

DiogoJ42

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:03 pm

You want to know the scariest thing about it? We went round it with Kelpie's nan, who is a keen outdoors type. She was telling us that when Chernobyl went bang, she was out hiking in Wales. She remembers a strange metallic taste in the air, but didn't know what it was until she got home and saw the news.
...Basically, anyone who was alive in Europe at the time was exposed to radioactive fallout! (albeit a small dose)
That is scary. Not mannequins.

Kelvedon Hatch is a good day out, and worth a visit if you have any interest in the military.

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 pm

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, mannequins are still scary...

:P

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Freaking hell...

Words don't do justice to your park and that ride... Simply unbelievable.

:D
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Mitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:57 am

Excellent work Diogo, it's nice to see an RCT ride be used for something completely original and different. I particularly liked the educational aspect of the ride, even if the final scene is slightly disturbing. The rest of the park looks tremendous as well and I particularly like its setting on an RAF base and having the aviation theme. Two of my hobbies in one package. :wink:

Keep up with the good work and I'm looking forward to the next update!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
...Basically, anyone who was alive in Europe at the time was exposed to radioactive fallout! (albeit a small dose)

Well, around 14% of background radiation is man-made, and a portion of that is directly from Chernobyl (with other inputs being nuclear warhead tests and the like), so (albeit to a tiny extent) we're still exposed to it now.

Want to know the thing that seriously scares me about Chernobyl? It was reactor 4 that exploded in 1986 (this being after a partial core meltdown in reactor 1 in 1982, which wasn't made public at the time. Yup, the infamous incident was not the first accident at Chernobyl...). I always assumed that the whole plant was shut down at this point - I would never, ever have assumed that they'd have continued power production after such a cataclysmic disaster.

In fact, reactor 1 was operational until 1996, and reactor 3 until 2000 :|.

Lots of interesting information on the plant and the disaster itself on Wikipedia (facts surrounding the disaster are harrowing, especially regarding those that tried their best to control it, many of whom didn't wear protective clothing and died within weeks).

I'd also recommend (if you can find it) watching a Horizon from 1996, entitled 'Inside Chernobyl's Sarcophagus'. Again, though, harrowing stuff.

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
Take yourself to Kelvedon Hatch in Essex.

I've always meant to take a visit there - think I'll have to have a look at that next week...

--

Anyways, back on topic, can't really say much more about this ride than what's already been said. Truly stunning, Diogo - you should seriously think about sending that to people like the legendary Wardley :yes:. Seems the system is finally letting me

DiogoJ42

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm

:lol: This is almost getting to the point where we need a separate topic for discussing nuclear horrors.

Anyway, I think the next task for Gruntpuddle is to finish the museum building (even if most of it stays empty for now). Although I could possibly put some other rides in it? It has a simulator already.

After that, I have a couple if ideas... All of which are nicely light hearted! :P

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:02 pm

"DiogoJ42""][quote=""Dorsia" wrote:

Take yourself to Kelvedon Hatch in Essex. If you think that sound is creepy in the comfort of your own home, imagine what it sounds like when you are in a nuclear bunker, surrounded by mannequins in full NBC suites![/quote]

I've actually stayed overnight there with Scouts. F*ck me it's creepy!
:shock:

Oblivion_
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 am

Well, I'd say the obvious move for a ride would by a plane-themed flying coaster, but maybe a heavily themed flat ride? I don't know what, but I just thought it could help you in some way D:

Also, congrats on the Dark Ride :O
Confirmed \'09:

Alton Towers, April 7th
Thorpe Park, Summer
Alton Towers, Scarefest

Unconfirmed \'09:

Wicksteed Park (D:)
Chessington, WoA

A5H

Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I think a diving machine similar to Oblivion would be a nice addition :) Especially with the way you make the theming, you could really make visitors feel like they're plummeting into some dark, horrific world :)

Mitch
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:06 pm

You already have a "shock-horror" type attraction so I don't think you should build another one of those. The park at the moment is quite flat as well (understandable with it being an RAF base) and I think something tall would ruin the look of it as it would stick out too much.

Sticking with the aviation theme, how about dueling launchers themed to a dogfight? Maybe even make it enclosed for an illusion of actually flying instead of terrain-hugging? It's not something that needs to be massive but it could be something which still makes a big impact and with your RCT3 skills I think you could pull it off very well!

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be well thought out and highly original and I look forward to seeing what you build. :D

DiogoJ42

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 pm

:D nice ideas guys. Like I say, I'll let you know when something gets built.

Blaze

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:36 pm

A duelling flyer or invert/suspended themed to dogfighting would be quite good, but depends what sort of narrative you intend your rides to have, whether you just want rides themed to war, want to create the illusion guests are in one or whatever.

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Gruntpuddle Park

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 pm

How about a swinging Arrow suspended coaster with the Plane cars? As a kiddy / family ride could work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 am

Bloody hell, Diogo! Being that I am obsessed with nuclear annihilation, that was absolutely perfect and it scared the cookies out of me!

I really don't know how you can top that, Ebola: The Ride perhaps?

You have an extra subscriber on Youtube anyway, well done :wink:

(In response to Protect and Survive... I'm slow.)

andymw
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Diogo, if your thinking of an airplane themed coaster take a look at this [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP1cw0VOsu8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP1cw0VOsu8[/url].

Not sure if you can get away with the height at this park but might be worth the attempt.
If I had a signature it would be delayed just like the smiler

DiogoJ42

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Ah yes. I've seen that one before. It's pretty nuts, isn't it?

---- Post Info Added ----

Gruntpuddle Park is proud to announce the opening of The Gruntpuddle Cold War Museum!

The opening ceremony took place on the 15th of March 2000. It was attended by several of the former personnel who were stationed on the base, and the ribbon was cut by none other than Colonel Bud Chuck Eagleman himself (the base commander at the time of it's closure).

Rather than try to blend in with the existing architecture of the base, we took the decision to go for a bold, modernist design. The shape is simple and understated, but the size of the building gives it a striking presence. The large, floor to ceiling glass walls provide ample natural light inside, giving a bright and airy feel to the museum. This is in contrast to the dark reinforced concrete structures that are found elsewhere on the base.

The Western end of the building has a terrace with a food court, providing great views of the airfield.

Seen from the far side of the base, the sheer size of the museum becomes apparent!

This project represents the culmination of several years work for us. As part of our commitment to provide both a fun, thrilling day out, and an educational experience.

A5H

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Love It! :) Once again your attention to detail has left me speechless :) The attention to detail on the building including on the roof and the structure supports for the building and the shelters outside is truly birilliant :) And as always you've inspired me to get on my RCT3 and get building :P

Well done mate!

Quick Question: When do we get some snapshots of the inside? :D