UK theme parks from another point of view!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Lightwater Valley - Construction Thread

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:12 pm

First things first, and people probably all know this but just to cover myself: While I shall try to make the park as accurately as possible - please bear in mind I'm using the most frustrating program known to man. As such, things are generally confined to right angles and the grid, in some cases diagonals. Ground slopes/terraforming is also more difficult than real life, especially when using path covers. Where there might be a gentle tarmacced slope in real life, ingame it is considerably harder to do, so forgive sometimes abrupt hill slope changes, although I will try my best.

The other thing is that I am mostly doing this with Google Earth. So please forgive any artistic license I use. I'll try look at as many photos as possible( and the ones Nathan put in the other thread were great - thanks), but Google Earth is easiest for spacing and such. I will guess what's in the behind the scenes areas. Because I've yet to visit Skeleton Cove, I think I'll build the 2010 Lightwater Valley, and we shall take it from there. Another point is that there simply isn't enough custom scenery to do this perfectly (and I don't think I'll start making it - I'd have to learn and it would make the project take even longer), so please forgive things such as square arches instead of rounded ones (Ultimate station), different roofs, doorways and windows etc. I'll try my best!

Nathan - this will appear on Valley Mania when I've done a bit more, and sorry if the updates are less frequent there. This forum is likely where I'll discuss building things and changes with the reasonably active RCT people here, and try post updates on VM that show definitive progress.

So, work-in-progress (WIP) construction so far. If you think something is wrong, or you'd do something differently, use different CS etc, let me know.

Overviews:

Shopping village so far:

Entrance so far:

Roof issues, door issues, path issues aplenty:

Site of first train station. Should be roughly diagonal in real life, but that's impossible. There should also be a big fence/gates here, and I need to redo the path edges:

Phew. More will come as and when. Any suggestions, don't hesitate to say.

I'll leave you with this:

MattH

Re: Lightwater Valley - Construction Thread

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:30 pm

This is excellent, even though I havent been to LVW, it looks incredible! Well done!

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Superb work so far! :)

DiogoJ42

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:10 pm

:clap: Duuuuuuude... =P~

JoshM

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Bravo :clap:

I've never been too LWV, but the RCT images just look like the real images.

Thorpefandan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Congratulations. :clap: It's such a shame that RCT3 is so limiting.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

.Will

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Yes! Really good stuff mate, can't wait to see some more and some rides. Very very impressive! It's early days but I know that this will be one of the best RCT projects ever.

:clap:

Tumble Bug
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 pm

This looks really good, I've been waiting for a professional to make a recreation of LWV for ages; as it happens I just started making a re-creation of it myself but yours is way way better!

Just one burning question though...how are you going to fit The Ultimate in? You're only limited to 254 sqaures in either direction and I planned mine to just fit but that was without the car park. I've searched everywhere for a cheat for more land but had no luck.

I look forward to seeing this completed.

DiogoJ42

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:12 pm

I would have started with the Ultimate and worked backwards, but I'm sure Captain will find a way ;)

Tumble Bug
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:15 am

^ Yep that's exactly what I've done and I should have enough room but I most certainly can't do the car park.

captain could you also post which custom scenery sets you are using for this re-creation? That would be really helpful for other parks of mine. :)

fredward

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I don't think you are limited by 254 squares, are you making the park in sandbox or scenario editor?

In scenario editor you can make the park as big as you want (or atleast I've never reached the limit, but I tend to just create rides not parks.)

anyway fantastic recreation so far! looking forward to more! Even though I have never been to LWV (yet!) it looks very realistic, you make me want to go more! :P

Tumble Bug
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 pm

That's what I'm limited to.

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 pm

"MattH" wrote:
This is excellent, even though I havent been to LVW, it looks incredible! Well done!
Thanks! Get yourself to the Valley, the Ultimate is incredible!
"Nathan" wrote:
Superb work so far! :)
Thanks Nathan! And thanks for the pictures, and the resources on VM.
"DiogoJ42""]:clap: Duuuuuuude... =P~[/quote] :D [quote=""JoshM" wrote:
Bravo :clap:

I've never been too LWV, but the RCT images just look like the real images.
Thank you!
"Thorpefandan" wrote:
Congratulations. :clap: It's such a shame that RCT3 is so limiting.
Absolutely! Thank god for CS though. And thanks!
".Will" wrote:
Yes! Really good stuff mate, can't wait to see some more and some rides. Very very impressive! It's early days but I know that this will be one of the best RCT projects ever.

:clap:
Ha thanks .Will. I doubt it'll be one of the best ever but I shall have a good go.
"Tumble Bug" wrote:
This looks really good, I've been waiting for a professional to make a recreation of LWV for ages; as it happens I just started making a re-creation of it myself but yours is way way better!

Just one burning question though...how are you going to fit The Ultimate in? You're only limited to 254 sqaures in either direction and I planned mine to just fit but that was without the car park. I've searched everywhere for a cheat for more land but had no luck.

I look forward to seeing this completed.
Balls. I just planned on increasing the size of the map if I needed to! Starting with The Ultimate would definitely have been the best option. I shall try fit it in - it's possible there's space. I've roughly placed the lake, which isn't even in the middle of the map, so there could be space beyond it. If there's not, I shall probably just take off bits of the car park and shopping village and hope it does fit. The last resort would be to build it in a separate map, but I really want everything together. Hmmm. Thanks for the compliments though! I'm no professional however! :P I'll try list what CS I'm using when I'm not hungover.
"fredward" wrote:
I don't think you are limited by 254 squares, are you making the park in sandbox or scenario editor?

In scenario editor you can make the park as big as you want (or atleast I've never reached the limit, but I tend to just create rides not parks.)

anyway fantastic recreation so far! looking forward to more! Even though I have never been to LWV (yet!) it looks very realistic, you make me want to go more! :P
Thanks fredward! Alas yet the limit is 254, even in scenario editor. :ashamed:

Actually, while writing, I've just reduced the side of the map closest to the car park (losing the entry/exit road, and had a bash at building The Ultimate (very roughly). The worry is that it is closer to the lake than it should be, so everything may have to be squashed together a bit more but that can't be avoided.

It's a tight squeeze!

fredward

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 pm

I didn't think there was a limit! Never had to reach it! There must be a way to get rid of the max size. If not, you could always build the park in two separate maps? that way you can have it full size with slightly less lag.

If not, I'm sure a slightly squashed LWV is not going to be any less impressive! :lol:

DiogoJ42

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:20 pm

There is a term in model making, "selective compression". iE: the boing bits in the middle, such as lakes and gardens, can be shrunk in order to fit the important bits in at the edges.

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 pm

And if we're honest, there's nothing as important as The Ultimate! That muddy bit on the above picture is the lake's rough outline. Seems pretty small, but I don't plan on increasing it, just to be safe.

I have no idea how I'm going to do the valley run. This amazing photo, taken from this excellent Valley Mania topic, shows how large the turns are. I guess it's a fair way off.

DiogoJ42

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I reckon that the closest track element is the "small overbanked turn" found on steel looping and LIM coasters. However, the track type is like nothing found in game. So it'll be a compromise whatever you do. :roll:

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm

What do we think of this fence instead of the wall? And guessing I shouldn't keep the stone posts as they don't exist? Please forgive the paths next to the station house thing, they're needed to get guests onto the railway.

Bit more:

.Will

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Love it Captain. The station building looks fantastic. I know what it feels like when you can't get small details right but trust me it looks fantastic!

:D

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:15 am

Yeah, stick with the fence along that path rather than the wall.

Looking great though! :)