UK theme parks from another point of view!

Blaze

Re: BigAl's No Limits Coasters

Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Launches must be straight though. ;)

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Where in the Roller Coaster rule book does it say that? :P

And the brakes on stealth are not flat and this would use the same principle of magnets but launching not braking. :D

Blaze

Thu May 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes, but that's only in the vertical plane. Rotating around the heartline is a totally different proposition. ;)

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Brake/launch fins can't really go around corners with brakes as the fins knock them. But could it be possible to launch a coaster through a barrel roll using those weird Japanese friction wheels like on Big Boom? :P

Also, 'Bullet' that was at Flamingoland had a curved station and the launch was a series of friction wheels that pushed the coaster up the track before letting it speed down through the station. On the way back down through the station, it looks as if the wheels speed it up even further. But I don't know that for sure.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Here's another world first concept that popped into my head a couple of days ago...

Motion Simulator Track:

The model above is two separate pieces that I borrowed to demonstrate the concept from the 3D Warehouse. I don't claim that either of the pieces are my own work, I simply put them together for this idea.

1. Basically, a small train (it could either be a single car or between 2 and 4 cars long) is brought to a halt on top of the track section which is held up on a motion simulator mechanism.

2. A section of track behind slides down to prevent the track with the train on it from striking it whilst the motion simulator is in-motion.

3. The train is then lifted up and down and spun around before it resumes to its original position or to a new area of track so that the ride can continue.

This element could be done as part of an enclosed show scene with other effects, or on its own in a themed environment, etc...

The obvious question after this (besides 'how on earth would you get that to work?' :P ) is, how would such an element fit into a ride to make it worth investing money in its development (as if that would ever happen! :P )? Well, I thought I'd throw together a quick concept layout and add theming too it once I get time. Here is my idea for how the element could be incorporated into a roller coaster:

It's still obviously a work in progress! :P

This idea is for a family thrill ride. The ride begins at a science/research outpost in the Himalayas and you board a train designed to look like an advanced snowmobile to hunt the legendary yeti.

The ride rolls out of the station and turns into a LSM launch run to give it some speed. The launch pulls 1.25 G's and reaches a maximum speed of 45mph before the end of the launch, ready for the next part of the ride.

The train slows down and rolls into a cave which looks like it could be a suitable hiding place for the illusive creature. The train pauses to allow those on-board to look around, but the creature attack the train from behind. The train rises up inside a dark, icy cave and is hurled around and you're powerless against the might of the monster that has you in its grip.

The yeti soon becomes tired and lowers your snowmobile to the ground (in-line with a different section of track as opposed to the track from which you'd just entered the cave) before you make a swift getaway. The ride does a second launch, this time to 50 mph, ready for the finale!

The whole sequence wouldn't last any longer than 40 seconds to allow the track to rest and be ready for the next train (roughly 5 seconds for the train to stop and lock to the track, 30 seconds of the motion simulator and then finally another 5 seconds for the track to be ready to release the train for the next part of the ride). The concept would probably cost more money than it would be worth investing in making it a reality, but it's just another idea that I wanted to put out there.

I'd love to hear what others think about this concept.

:)

Dingerbell

Wed May 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Would you say that it would invert? I'm not sure if that could work, but if it did it would make it a lot more realistic, in a sense of being attacked by the Yeti. Even if it doesn't it sounds good.

Sounds a bit like Expedition Everest, which has a switch track and a Yeti as well.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Well I'd say no. I wanted the concept to be simple and efficient. I know that developing new concepts and making them real, working machines isn't a cheap thing to do, so my idea with this is to make it cheaper to install and run too. Making it invert would only increase the costs and the chances of it having a technical difficulty.

The way I would have it is for it to be a small piece of track (no larger than the Th13teen drop track section) that can have a train pull onto it quickly and allow it to perform the spins and tilts quickly so that it can then move that train on and be ready for the next train so that it's efficient. A larger, heavier train would require bigger machines, more space and more energy to run and would probably need longer to stop and start the motion simulator aspect due to the fact that it'd have to be balanced, etc... With a small train, it's lighter, takes up less space and obviously uses less materials and energy.

The fact that it's a smaller train means that it won't get a huge throughput, so speed is everything. The station in my design allows for two trains to pull-up and load whilst the other unloads, as opposed to letting them stack on the final sets of brakes. I've also designed a main block brake and then another holding brake before the motion simulator so that, there's space for one train to sit before the motion simulator, should there be a technical error which causes the simulator to stop working. This also means that the train behind these two can continue to be launched if it's already in the process and still be able to slow and stop behind rather then having to have it sit and wait in the station until the other train has moved into the simulator section. The simulator section is a block in itself and then we have the final two sets of brakes which act in the same manner as the two mid-course block brakes before the simulator scene.

Although my ride has launches, they're soft and don't pick-up a tremendous amount of speed. It's effectively the same kind of family thrill launch as what Verbolten offers, only slightly less forceful and not as quick due to the size of the ride and the fact that I didn't want it to be really forceful because that would obviously put families off.

I think that covers things. :)

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2012 11:32 am

So the layout is all done (although I've yet to make it as smooth as possible or correct the heart-lining) and I've decided to throw a few pre-fab supports on to see what it looks like. This is what I've got so far...

The first hill (after the launch) will soon have an icy mountain under it and the motion simulator chamber will be housed inside another mountain.

I've designed the queue line to weave under and around the coaster because cattle pen queues should be made illegal. :P The most notable areas where the coaster interacts with the queue are the main entrance archway and first drop, the big drop before the final brake-run, the area that will go inside the cave (under the first hill), along-side the entrance and exit of the motion simulator cave and the second launch run and finally the bridge that will go up and over the first launch run (as the train exits the station.

Here are some images that demonstrate where I've designed this ride to fit...

As you can see, the ride would replace Mr Toadie's Crazy Cars (could be moved behind Wild Asia and Dragon Falls... I think :P ), the Madagascar Show and the Jungle Bouncers (could be moved with Mr Toadie's Crazy Cars), the Coffee Hut and Africa Trading Co. The photo collection zone would replace the trampolines (which could be moved elsewhere as well).

Before anyone mentions this, I know that Chessington won't build a ride like this in this area. :P

Anyway, here's some technical data...

Capacity: 1240 riders an hour
Duration: 2 minute and 5 seconds
Ride Length: 2210ft
Max Height: 72.5ft
Biggest Drop: 62.5ft
Top Speed: 50mph
Total Drops: 8
Total Inversions: 0

Finally, my favourite feature so far is (or will be once it is all done) the station. I've designed it so that the train rolls out and along-side the path that runs between that area and Peeking Heights. This means that those off-ride will get a good glimpse of it and be able to wave to anyone on the ride :P. As well as this, the bridge that crosses over the top of the first launch section will be good as it will (or would :P ) add to the ride experience, but also be fun for those still queueing to stand over and watch the ride launch.

It's not much to go off, but any comments are welcome. :)
Last edited by BigAl on Sun May 27, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dingerbell

Sun May 27, 2012 11:58 am

This looks very good indeed for such as small layout, well done, and the theming ideas sound excellent. However, I've also got a few ideas for this.
Firstly, the turn out of the station should be themed with a backstory (like Blue Fire), and could warn riders about the Yeti. Then, as the Yeti attacks the guy telling you about him, you launch away to safety= only to be attacked again (motion simulator).
Secondly, more of it should be indoors- especially the second part of the ride. It could be as if you're trying to escape the Yeti, and have to go through caves to escape. The motion simulator part could be a wrong turning into a tunnel, and the Yeti attacks you there.
Finally, I think after the first drop, a Corkscrew could be put in place (although I'm not certain that this could work). This would make the coaster slightly more thrilling to the GP, and give Chessie a much needed inversion.
Overall, this looks like a very interesting concept, and one that could work in real life. Realistic is one word to describe it.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Dingerbell wrote:
Firstly, the turn out of the station should be themed with a backstory (like Blue Fire), and could warn riders about the Yeti. Then, as the Yeti attacks the guy telling you about him, you launch away to safety= only to be attacked again (motion simulator).

The only thing is that it's a very short turn and there probably wouldn't be any time to see animatronics before the launch. A story is definitely part of the plan though. It would have to be told in the station. Think TV screens mixed in with science equipment and books on biology, nature and mythical beasts lying on tables and the ride ops dressed as researchers and explorers, etc... The ride is designed to be an hunt for the yeti, so the launch is the snowmobile kicking in to take you into the treacherous mountains. :)

Dingerbell wrote:
Secondly, more of it should be indoors- especially the second part of the ride. It could be as if you're trying to escape the Yeti, and have to go through caves to escape. The motion simulator part could be a wrong turning into a tunnel, and the Yeti attacks you there.

It's tricky to make more of it indoors due to how tall most of it is and how small the area is. I'll be making parts of the queue indoors like this:

Albeit, with more theming in it, rather than just a stone tunnel. :P

Dingerbell wrote:
Finally, I think after the first drop, a Corkscrew could be put in place (although I'm not certain that this could work). This would make the coaster slightly more thrilling to the GP, and give Chessie a much needed inversion.
Overall, this looks like a very interesting concept, and one that could work in real life. Realistic is one word to describe it.

The only problem is that an inversion would increase the height restrictions and I want this to be a family thrill. That's why the launches are gradual and don't pull a tremendous amount of g's. I don't think an inverting coaster would suit Chessington's demographic.

Thanks for you feedback! :D
Last edited by BigAl on Sun May 27, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 pm

I've got the track in Sketchup and I'm ready to add scenery to it:

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Awesome! Is that going to be imported into RCT3? Cause I know you were asking about that...

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I'll give it a go. I've imported a test version of another coaster into RCT3... and it sort of failed. :P I've posted the results over in the RCT Questions topic. However, I will get a coaster or two ready and theme them in RCT3 eventually. Unfortunately I doubt that I'll ever be able to make them work in RCT3. However, No Limits can demonstrate them in action and I can add theming to them in RCT3.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 am

Haven't uploaded anything for a while, so here's a design for the ultimate home-made roller coaster:

Backyard Blunder!

Warning:

:P

The rails are supposed to look like PVC pipes. The whole thing is menat to look unsafe and feel bumpy and not very-well made! :P

Video? You got one! :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhWO-VSEG9k
(I have a feeling that this video won't work, so I'll re-upload the video once I get home later)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?8mq8jujkwkjh7a9
Last edited by BigAl on Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dingerbell

Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

That's surprisingly smooth actually. I like the crookedness of the supports, but what guy could afford an Intamin car.

Also, with the tunnel, it failed the tunnel test :P

Poison Tom 96

Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 am

BigAl as you said the vid link unfortunately does not work.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Dingerbell wrote:
That's surprisingly smooth actually. I like the crookedness of the supports, but what guy could afford an Intamin car.

Also, with the tunnel, it failed the tunnel test :P

If only there was a choice for 'unsafe-looking wheelbarrow mounted to PVC pipe rails'. :P
The tunnel looks fine to me. :? Sure, the bottom touches the ground, but I wasn't fussed as it doesn't get in the way of the train or track. And as I said before, it's meant to be dodgy in some areas (i.e. supports don't look reliable, head-chopper as you come out of the "station" :P ).

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
BigAl as you said the vid link unfortunately does not work.

Fixed.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Why did that remind me of the Indiana Jones ride at DLP..?

Anyway, it was actually suprisingly good. I really liked some of those turns!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks! :D

I don't think you should say that to Disney though! :P

Blaze

Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Where's the ghetto inversion that all true great backyard coasters have? :P