UK theme parks from another point of view!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Santa Clara

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:29 am

Hey guys - thanks for the kind feedback in the Preview/Test thread. I've been working on this as a break from building LWV, which gets pretty wearing after repeated crashes and trying to keep it as accurate as possible, just based on Google Earth and various photos.

Anyway - I saw this coaster by zeroG on Shyguy's World, with a challenge to theme it. The layout is zeroG's, not mine, although I have made some minor changes. zeroG supported it, although I am in the process of removing his supports (in white) and replacing them with mine (brown). All of the landscaping, foliage, lakes and other theming are all mine. I encourage you to check out the rest of zeroG's great coasters, seen here. I'm showing this today as I'm going home for Christmas tomorrow and alas not taking my desktop.

So, here is the initial layout provided:

I decided to theme it to a scene after a tornado had ripped through an area, knocking down trees, damaging buildings, and in one instance causing a plane to crash through a warehouse. All shots are obviously work in progress. Criticism is welcomed. :D

The plane crash:

Some ride interaction:

General mess and the future station:

Think I may have nailed a transfer track! (barring the big wheels on top, but I needed the motors):

Some night shots:

Hope you like it.
Last edited by captain on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Re: Tornado - B&M Invert

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:45 am

Oh wow! :mrgreen: That's epic mate! *faps like a monkey*

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:56 am

All looks to be coming along rather well.

There's not much more I can say beyond what I initially added. Those areas I could criticise are obviously incomplete but what is there is exceptionally good.

Just scanning through the things which stood out to me were the shot tower through the roof, the improved transfer track and of course the finale turn (which I believe I mentioned before)

Sorry to hear you’re leaving your desktop at Uni. I'm off tomorrow as well but I do everything on my laptop. I was planning on finishing and sending The Ultimate to you as a Christmas gift but if you're desktops at Uni would it be best if I waited until January?
ImageImage

.Will

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 am

With that zero-G you could have a bash at Nemesis.

Anyways looking good as always Captain, good job.

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
Oh wow! :mrgreen: That's epic mate! *faps like a monkey*
  :D Thanks Diogo! Hope you, er, enjoyed!  :P
Nightfall wrote:
All looks to be coming along rather well.

There's not much more I can say beyond what I initially added. Those areas I could criticise are obviously incomplete but what is there is exceptionally good.

Just scanning through the things which stood out to me were the shot tower through the roof, the improved transfer track and of course the finale turn (which I believe I mentioned before)

Sorry to hear you’re leaving your desktop at Uni. I'm off tomorrow as well but I do everything on my laptop. I was planning on finishing and sending The Ultimate to you as a Christmas gift but if you're desktops at Uni would it be best if I waited until January?
Thanks Nightfall. I have to agree with you, I love the final turn. In fact the whole layout is really well done. The transfer track includes chairlift station guide tracks, the pantograph from an electric passenger train, two types of B&M friction wheels and some portable coaster supports. :D

Thanks for the Ultimate Christmas present (a Morwenna special) - I'd love to try it out, but yeah I won't be back on RCT until sometime in January alas. I'll be on a netbook over christmas, and although souped up, I doubt it could do much with RCT, and certainly not with a billion CS sets. But I very much look forward to January now!
.Will wrote:
With that zero-G you could have a bash at Nemesis.

Anyways looking good as always Captain, good job.
Thanks Will, much appreciated! The zero-g has a pretty epic upside down foot chopper with the lift hill supports, but it's no Nemesis!

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, when you next see it, sometime in January most likely, it may be finished. Although the supports are a bitch to do. I've got to work out how to join the two lakes too, as well as creating a big entrance area/plaza thing. Oh well. Have a good Christmas guys!

.Will

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm

No, what I mean't was that the zero-g is on the diagonal therefore you could do the diagonal zero-g over the Nemesis Station.

;)

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Again, WIP.

Rather pleased with the cobra roll supports! :D

Not sure about this plane - think it might look a bit naff. Thoughts?

Redid the queue for Tornado:

New overview:

Also you've probably noticed I decided to try my hand at a real rapids. Obviously it's early days, but I think it's going pretty well! :D Hope you like it.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Absolutely stunning! The inverted coaster and rapids are great, especially with the turntable style station. That must've taken you ages to do.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Mitch
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

The whole area looks stunning and it looks like a lot of effort was put into it. In my opinion I think the plane looks bad,  mainly due to the colours which clash horribly with the rest of the ride and the area. I initially thought that the piece of track between the cobra roll and MCBR didn't look quite right but now it's had some attention placed on it it looks much better.

The rapids look very promising too! I'm looking forward to seeing more, this looks to be an excellent project so far! :D

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Thank you guys! Mitch - I've kept the plane for now, and I'm working on blending it in better. I agree about the colours though, alas it's not recolourable.

Managed to make the rapids work! :D

And the station:

Maintenance area is coming together:

And station, although it looks a bit lame at the moment - not too sure what to do to make it better:

Finally finished replacing the last supports!:

And now I'd like some opinions if you would. I'm building an abandoned mine type ride, which will involve some medium launches and is aimed at families; family-thrill if you will. The question is:

Standard train:

Or Aquatrax?:

The new area in relation to Tornado etc:

:D

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Again you don't fail to blow my mind with your incredible detail, blimey it's good! Personally I think the standard train works better, it gives the ride a more "miney" feel about it.

Also, how did you manage to get the rapids to work like that?! I've been playing around with the XXL rafting set for quite some time and I can't really get my head around it, but it seems you've managed to crack it, and somehow managed to get it to show without turning the track LODs down. I can only really guess your using the invisible track?

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Jonny.F wrote:
Also, how did you manage to get the rapids to work like that?! I can only really guess your using the invisible track?

Yes, invisible track, Revolutionary Rides' rapids cars and some crazy rapids custom scenery: the link is in this post. Mostly just have say three or four different water bodies, link them together with the CS, make a CS station, then whack the rapids boats on the invisible track. I can explain how to do that if you like. Then punch it in the face with particle effects and rock work and there is great success.

Thank you for the compliments! I'm also leaning towards the train, looks more right.

Also, have a night shot:

Last edited by captain on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 am

I'd also say the mine train. It looks a great family ride. I'm liking the curved look from the windmill set.

Also I think the little maintenance area is a good ideas and looks nice :)
ImageImage

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:01 pm

I have to say those rapids are incredible! Any chance of a Diogo's Dark Ride style tutorial topic? :D

The whole ride and area look incredible though, seriously nice work :D

SpinballEdders

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:07 pm

WOW! :shock: that looks amazing Captain. The themeing on Tornando looks incredible, it's like a cross between nemmy (how it interacts) and the swarm (similar style). I also love how the rapids interact with it as well, and the mine trains looks pretty damn good. excellent job captain :)

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:19 am

Thank you guys. I found a different car which I think works rather well instead, but thanks for the input. Bote - good idea, it's on my list of things to do.

A little progress on Mystery Mine. Half inside, half outside. Three launches (the first two of which are inside), each to about 45mph. Nowhere near completed obviously.

Looking down the third launch:

On ride:

Overview so far:

Last edited by captain on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

Brilliant!

The theme is spot on. I was a bit worried when I saw the carts that capacity might be a bit low. But looking again there seems to be more block breaks then originally shown. The layout is excellent. Better than most real life counterparts.

Great job :D
ImageImage

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 am

Simply outstanding! Love the mine train themeing and use of the Intamin coaster supports. Are the paths real, or surface painted?

Can't wait to see more  :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Nightfall wrote:
Brilliant!

The theme is spot on. I was a bit worried when I saw the carts that capacity might be a bit low. But looking again there seems to be more block breaks then originally shown. The layout is excellent. Better than most real life counterparts.

Great job :D
Thanks! The capacity is hard to say - because of issues with the blocking I'm running it in continuous circuit mode, despite there being 10 block sections (I think 6 inside). Unfortunately I built it with the timing a little off between blocks, and due to this the cars slow right down on the launch sections, fail to make it up the hills, rollback and have to launch again, screwing the whole system. We'll just pretend it's safe. :P There are ten cars though, with the first arriving back at the station as the last leaves, so I think capacity in that respect would be fine. I haven't shown any of the inside layout as it's completely unthemed (although I'm not sure if I'll theme it, space is rather tight inside due to track everywhere!). But thank you for the layout comments! I'm not sure who would build it, it's some kind of Mack, Gerstlauer and Intamin mash-up. :-k

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
Simply outstanding! Love the mine train themeing and use of the Intamin coaster supports. Are the paths real, or surface painted?

Can't wait to see more  :)
Thank you DLD! Those Intamin supports are so good for the custom track, although some are slightly off at times. The paths are currently surface painted, but I'll be covering them in invisible path when it gets some people in it. I've made the slopes gentle enough for it not to go all wrong.

Thanks again!

captain
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Santa Clara

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am

Less of an update, more just some nice pictures from the park ("Santa Clara").