UK theme parks from another point of view!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Brinston Gardens

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:13 pm

A new park I'm working on  :)

First, a bit of history...

A History Of Brinston Gardens by J. Williams

The original Brinston Manor was built around 1802 and has been home to the Bakerford family for many years. It was in 1905 that the Brinston Estate first opened its beautiful gardens and grounds to the public, and the park has been a popular tourist attraction ever since.

The theme park side to the estate first came about in 1965, when Lord Bakerford installed several small attractions in the main grounds. This proved to be a huge success with visitors, and it wasn’t long before a small amusement area came into being. It was 1976 that really put Brinston on the map, with the installation of a brand new Wild Mouse coaster. This little coaster remained a firm favourite amongst visitors until it was retired in 1987.

That very same year, the Manor was pulled down due to dilapidation. All was not lost, as the park expanded its boundaries and continued to build new attractions.

Today, the park is as good as ever, with four major coasters and a number of supporting flat rides. What’s next for Brinston Gardens? Well, time will tell.

Very few public pictures exist of the Manor itself, but we do have a number of original park shots in our archive.

The Manor in 1965

View of the grounds from the garden terrace

The gardens (1960)

1971, and the small collection of rides.

The horse paddock was popular with visitors in 1979

Wild mouse (1983)

More to come very soon. Watch this space  :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Brinston Gardens

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm

wow! looking good up to know! :D!!!!!!!

it's obvious you have been working hard with up! (Y) would like to see it come on more im excited

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm

The pictures remind me of the Alton Towers back in the 80's.  The Wild Mouse in particular! It reminds me of the Alton Mouse!  :)

Did you use photoshop to edit the snapshoots?

Looking forward to seeing more!  :D

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks guys!

I actually edited the above pictures in Picasa, using the "old photo" effect. I just makes it that little bit more realistic  :)

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

This is looking like an interesting project. I'm loving how you've given it a sense of history before you start developing it into the future.
looking forward to seeing more  :)

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:57 pm

*Teaser*

Here's a 1995 promotional image for the park's signature ride - Falcon. Falcon is a b&M inverted coaster which features four inversions, landscape interaction and chopper effects:

Stay tuned!  ;)

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm

A visit to  Brinston Gardens, with  PTR - 10/10/12

Part 1 - Grand America and Sky Park
I hadn't been to Brinston Gardens in some time, so thought it was time I paid a visit. After setting off early with John and Sarah, we arrived at the park just after 9.20 for Early Ride Exclusive. It was already quite busy at that time, although we soon collected our tickets and was walking down Brinston Walk...

Sarah and John were in awe of the Gardens and wanted to explore, but I was eager to go on Falcon. We made our way over to Grand America and were soon in line for the B&M mean machine

The top of the lift hill looks odd with the contrasting colour scheme, although I've heard this is to help the ride blend in with the surrounding woodland. The neighbours are less than enthusiastic about rides being visible over the treetops.

Nearly at the station now

My only complaint about the queueline itself is that it is very long, although the view of the ride makes up for that in a way. Sarah spotted a wild deer in the nearby woodland, although I wasn’t fast enough with my camera.

We arrived at the station and decided to queue for the front row. WHOAH! This was my first ride on Falcon and I was absolutely blown away - that helix is incredible! Me and John decided to go round again….four times to be precise.

It was very cold and damp at this time, so we decided against doing the flume. Instead we went on Cyclone (which made John feel sick).

Cyclone

Surprise, the Flume is pretty quiet today

...or maybe not

Falcon from the Cyclone queueline

It was just after 10.30 by now, and the park was already heaving

More Falcon goodness

Sky Park next, via the serene Woodland Walk!

Sky Park is a relatively new area of the park, although I remember the huge wheel from past trips. Not being one for great heights, I decided to leave John and Sarah to it while I grabbed some coffee and ice cream.

Odd, the wheel is clearly visible over the treetops. Hmmm

Sky Park used to be called Festiva Land, and was my favourite area of Brinston. I was quite sad to learn that both the Corkscrew and Schwartzkopf coaster had been removed.

Main Square and Sky Park see a huge parade with shows in the afternoons (which unfortunately we missed today).

Valkyrie was underoing testing for much of the morning, as apparently there was a problem with a motor? We waited for the ride to open before heading over to Pirates Corner…

Part 2 soon.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 am

Love the amount of detail! Keep it up!  :D

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 am

Fantastic attention to detail, and amazing use of CS. I can't wait to see more.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:28 pm

reminds me of towers
Image credit to Lewis97

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:40 pm

This is a really nice little park. It has a charm that a lot of really big projects lack  :)

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks guys :)

I won't lie, Alton has played a huge inspiration in this project  ;)

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 am

A few Sky Park/Festiva Land pictures from 2001, just before the Corkscrew was removed:

Entrance to Festiva Land - Sky Park looks very similar today

This custom Vekoma loopscrew was originally installed in 1985, in an area called Land of a thousand Adventures (now Grand America). The coaster lived here until 1993, when the area was redeveloped for an exciting new project - Falcon.

Corkscrew was one of the park's much loved coasters, and as such, even featured its own character/mascot - Corkscrew Cat

By 2001, the ride was really showing its age. Lack of maintenance meant the ride had become extremely rough and the paint was now peeling badly. The ride often suffered major downtime.

In 2000, the park quietly decided to retire the Corkscrew, and the coaster was dismantled during the closed season. Visitors were none the wiser, except for the fact Corkscrew had vanished from the park map.

New trees were planted and the area landscaped. In 2005 the area saw a complete re-theme, with the introduction of a new flying ride - Valkyrie.
Last edited by Don't_Look_Down on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Part 2 - Pirate Kingdom and Little Africa

Pirate Kingdom hasn't changed much in the seven or eight years since I last visited.

We did the pirate ship several times before grabbing some lunch in the pizza restaurant.

The food was delicious, although pretty overpriced for what you actually get. I don’t like to nit-pick, but I feel the staff in this restaurant could learn one or two manners.

There used to be a live pirate show here once, but it looks like that’s long gone. Oh well.

Barrel Run was extreme but very enjoyable. Word of warning though, don't even think about going on this straight after your lunch

The gift shop

It was about 12.30 by now, and the park was extremely busy (this has been a record season for visitors apparently). After some discussion, it was decided that we’d do Little Africa and the rapids next. How convenient that the sun decided to come out at that moment

The Brinston Express. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do this little train ride today.

Are we actually going the right way? Oh wait, we are...

Snacks, anyone?

This little water feature was nice. You can see Temple Falls in the background

Little Africa

I love this little rope effect bridge over the rapids

The queue for Temple Falls was over 75 minutes, so we did the Zambezi Adventure instead. I don’t remember Zambezi Adventure being this good on my last visit. We got absolutely soaked, too.

The Mine Train. Unfortunately the water messed up my camera lens, but it's OK now.

By now the queue for Temple Falls was much shorter. John and I loved this ride, although Sarah wasn't too keen. The ride op was really friendly and treated everyone to a special cycle.

We had a look round the African gift shop and then made our way over to the Mine Train, which was saw horrendous queues for much of the afternoon. Mine Train certainly wasn't worth the two hour wait. I found this very rough, and John had to take a break due to headaches afterwards. Awful ride – hopefully it won’t see many more seasons at the park.

The themed queueline is the only redeeming feature of this ride

It was coming up to 5.00pm by now, so we took a break in the Rainforest Café. The Brinston Beast looms menacingly in the distance.

Part 3 coming up shortly

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

OMFG.
this is fu*king AMAZING!
can i go can i goooo? :D

OMG! Put something like an SLC in and i will officially fall in love.

100000000/10.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm

infusionfan2 wrote:
OMFG.
this is fu*king AMAZING!
can i go can i goooo? :D

OMG! Put something like an SLC in and i will officially fall in love.

100000000/10.

Thanks! The park already has a top quality B&M inverted coaster, so I don't have any plans to install a SLC yet. I've plenty of big ideas for this park, so watch this space  :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 3 - Brinston Beast and the Shire Centre
I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something really magical about this corner of the park. It was this area that once housed the Original Manor.

First up was the Brinston Beast. I’ve wanted to do the Brinston Beast for a while, although it’s always been closed on previous visits – today was the day! 

We decided to sit at the back, as apparently the airtime is amazing. Wow, just wow!  This is one intense little woodie…so intense, that I found it hard not to hold on.

We had a few rides on the waveswinger, and carousel, then had a look at A Haunting

The Arcadia Museum and Visitor Centre with Waveswinger in the background. The museum shuts at 5.00pm, so we didn't get a chance to have a look round

Brinston Beast from the queueline

I thought this would be your standard haunted swing ride – how wrong I was.  After being split in to two groups, you make your way to the screen room where you’re shown a small presentation. I don’t remember the presentation word for word, but the story tells how the Lord stumbled upon a haunted chamber, while carrying out renovation work on the old Manor.  Next you make your way to a batching room, where you’re told to wait – the themeing is exceptional in this room. After a short wait, several attendants usher you into what appears to be the main ride queueline, however, don’t be fooled. The queueline itself is in fact a scare maze. It’s very dark, very small and above all a very intense experience. I wasn’t expecting this and felt pretty shaken.  10/10

It was 5.40 by now, and we were going to finish the day with one last ride on Falcon. It was decided that we'd stop for another coffee and then have a look at the gardens before heading home.

The Wisteria Inn - The oatcakes are delicious

Random shots

The Pavillion Cafe and gift shop. Note the original clock tower in the background

The Gardens
The park shuts at 6.30 during October, so it was a bit of a mad dash round the gardens themselves towards the end. This is such a beautiful area, and you could easily spend several hours just taking in the views and relaxing.

The sign advises people to stick to the footpaths at all times

My attempt at an arty shot - Falcon through the trees

The Bandstand. There are regular concerts here during the summer months

What a fantastic way to end a superb day.

Highlights:
Falcon
Brinston Beast
A Haunting
Zambezi Adventure
Temple Falls
The gardens

Another PTR soon, thanks for reading!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 pm

End of Season Fireworks Extravaganza - PTR 11/11/12

Part 1

We had originally planned to do the Frights ‘n Thrills Halloween event, however, it had been cancelled due to an “on-going dispute with local residents over noise and traffic issues”. Thankfully the fireworks Extravaganza was still on…if only for two nights.

The queue to get through the main gates this morning was terrible, with traffic backing up for miles.Thankfully we had paid for express parking, so managed to get into the park and on the rides before the crowds hit. The weather was bitterly cold, although that didn't deter us

Brinston Walk was decorated with seasonal bunting which was nice. The autumn colours look spectacular

There's nothing better than an early morning ride on Falcon to get the adrenaline going

We arrived at the station to find out that Falcon was experiencing technical issues due to the weather. The ride would be up and running soon, so we decided to stay where we were (just as well, as by now the queue was building fast)

I love that gust of wind as the trains hurtle over the queueline and station

YES! since we were first in the queue, the ride ops kindly let us go on the front row; wonderful as ever!

We had planned to go round again, but with a queue time of 190 minutes, we decided to leave it

Cyclone

The water rides were shut all day, and just as well. We had a few rides on Dragon's Voyage and then hopped on the Brinston Express.

Dragon's Voyage - The park's Mack powered coaster

Brinston Express station with the 4D cinema in the background (the cinema was shut all day)

Pirate Kingdom was completely sealed off, as a large tree had blown over the night before. I'm not sure if any of the rides were damaged, but there was a big crane in the area for much of the day.

Sky Park and Woodland Walk look gorgeous at this time of year

These guys were awesome. The whole square is even better at night, with breakdancers, fire eaters, performers and musicians. It's simply magical

Back to Grand America for lunch. We decided to take the scenic route, as the colours are beautiful

Woodland Walk

A bridge over the flume's woodland section

Thankfully the restaurants in Grand America were quiet, as everyone was queueing for the rides.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Part 2 - The fireworks and rides in the dark

After a big dinner in the Wisteria Inn, we headed back towards the Grand America area of the park for a few rides on Falcon.

This was our first time on Falcon in the dark, so we were all incredibly excited. We eagerly joined the queue only to be told that the ride was down.

Disappointed, we headed to Sky Park. Sarah somehow talked me into going on the big wheel, and I’m glad I did, as the park looks gorgeous from this viewpoint.

The performers  in Main Square were pretty cool, but it was too cold to stand around.

Falcon was now up and running again, so we ran down to Grand America. The queue was building fast, with an estimated wait of 90 minutes. Oh well, we didn't want to miss the fireworks display, so headed over to the lakeside for some front row viewing. The lasers, the music, the fireworks…..everything was just incredible. The sky was awash with colours (I wonder if the neighbours will complain about tonight’s event? *groan*)

The queue for Falcon was now over 3 hours long. The staff were really struggling to deal with the crowds, but handled everything so efficiently.  We joined the extended queueline, but the cold soon got the better of us.

I was determined we’d do my favourite coaster in the dark, so splashed out on a Queue-Beater ticket. Within ten minutes we were seated on the back row and cresting the top of the lift hill. Falcon is a totally different animal in the dark - awesome!

ORP of Sarah, Pete and myself on Falcon

The temperature had dropped even lower by now and we were absolutely frozen. It was over to the coffee shop for a hot chocolate before we paid homage to the “wicked woodie” (Blame Sarah for that name).

The queue for the Brinston Express was two hours. We've gave up

The queue for the Brinston Beast wasn’t much better, but thankfully we had one ride slot left on our Queue-Beater ticket. Some clown decided to get his phone out on the lift hill which resulted in an emergency stop. It didn’t bother us five, as we sat back and enjoyed the views of the park at night.

The Shire Centre, with Falcon and Grand America in the background

Some of these floodlights were too bright and spoilt the atmosphere

We did A Haunting before calling it quits and heading home…via the gift shop of course (who couldn’t resist a Falcon hoodie?).

The gardens at night, gorgeous!

It looks like Brinston are hosting their annual Christmas event next month, so we'll be sure to check that out. Thanks for reading!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

NickiFan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm

oh yeh -_- haha, I was watching a video today and it seems that this country could do with a floorless coaster, it's something we don't have here in the UK so it would be a brilliant addition to the park  :D

Anyway, it's an Amazing park, i might start on my own now, this has inspired me, well done!!!

this should go up for download, would be amazing, top work mate! Keep it up