UK theme parks from another point of view!

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Theme Park Studio Release

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:56 am

Theme Park Studio released a few weeks ago on Steam, the alpha version which has very little features, includes a handful of flat rides, terraforming, path-work and some scenery items, for the price of £22.99. More will be added gradually, as will be updates available on Steam, and the price will increase depending on how much gets added.

Here's a couple of first look videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elPOQweKBP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8k8z9qGJPQ

The beta should be out in a few weeks, has anyone else downloaded the alpha and had a play, what are your thoughts on the first looks of the game?

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Theme Park Studio Release

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 pm

I had a few moments dabble.

The UI initially is rather overwhelming since it looks closer to a Photoshop Document than a RCT UI. So that's a culture shock. Perhaps if you're accustomed to NL it won't phase you.

I need to optimise the graphical settings since panning around feels sluggish and not good.

I need to find out how to change keybindings/controls since I don't like the default camera controls.

It looks promising. I hope the parks will be animated. Static rides look quite depressing. It's like designing an abandoned theme park.

I should probably watch the Tutorial Youtube videos too. (A more effective tutorial would be a seemlessly intergrated one which is interactive)

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Been watching the development of this for some time, will probably get it to try out at some point.

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Tom-TT wrote:
Been watching the development of this for some time, will probably get it to try out at some point.

The alpha actually released on the 27th Feb, 1 month ago today, but I'm surprised not that many people knew about it because it was based on Steam and not too greatly publicised, also taking into consideration it is an alpha and not many people might download it.
-
But at this stage it's worth downloading, it's at the cheapest it'll ever be at £22.99, the updates are free, however leaving the download till later, the price will increase, so it's cheaper to get it as early on as possible.

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 pm

when all the updates are done, do you get the full version at the end?

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Therideman11 wrote:
when all the updates are done, do you get the full version at the end?

I'm pretty sure you do yeah, but I was talking to someone who was a tester before the game came out, even to non testers, buying it earlier works out cheaper as you already have the bulk of it installed, just smaller updates come as they get completed, but as each one comes out, it gets added to the main download and the price increases.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Unless it's been quoted from the makers themselves it's probably not best to confirm it yet

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Most likely, but that's what I heard from a tester. :P

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Is there a set date for it to come out as a full game?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Is there a set date for it to come out as a full game?

I'm not entirely sure about this, don't think there is one atm

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Theme Park Studio Release

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 pm

The only guaranteed way of getting the final came and being able to get it at its lowest price is by backing the game on their website for about £18 depending on exchange rate
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Just to add on what I was saying last night regarding TPS, upon visiting the TPS website their is a but now option which will take you to the different kick starter options they have. I purchased the gold edition for $30 or £18.60. With this I have a pre release steam key and I also get the final product at the end. Unfortunately haven't had the time yet to look at it but will do tomorrow :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 21, 2014 12:52 pm

TPS is currently on offer on the Steam store up until the 23rd May. The price has dropped down to £15.17 and now stage 2 has been released you can create flat rides.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254590/

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 am

I found it quite confusing and will take a while to get used to. I also think there needs to be a better tutorial. But it looks like it is going to be brilliant.

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:51 am

I thought the release method of TPS is awful. I kickstarted the project, which said I'd get 'access to private alpha (or beta, I forget) testing', which was just abandoned and everyone got to play it. They also did not mention that it would be released in stages until it was on Steam after the Kickstarter, so despite paying for it already with a given release date, we had to (and still have to) wait before we can get the game we actually wanted. You can't have a rollercoaster game without rollercoasters.

As far as the game goes, it does look like, when done, it'll be rather enjoyable. Smoothness of the coaster track is somewhere between NoLimits 1 and RCT3, but it's acceptable with all the other features.