UK theme parks from another point of view!

piraka
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

500 non-mainstream places to go in Britain

Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Since we usually chat about theme parks, mainly alton, i have decided to make a list, that anyone can contribute to, of 500 of the lesser known, but still brilliant days out. NO THEME PARKS and no more than five each post.
1.Avebury Belittles stonehenge.
2.Forbidden corner
Like a computer game!
Finish what i started. :D
"I am like fire, and ice, and rage.
I\'m like the night, and the storm, and the heart of the sun.
I\'m is ancient and forever, he burns at the centre of time, and he can see the turn of the Universe."
Nemesis

LiamSAFC

Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 pm

3. The Sage Gateshead is a fantastic day out, wheter it be for a Concert to a tour, its really something special in there.

4. Angel of the North's worth a visit too.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 27, 2008 10:51 pm

5. Tower of London:

Seriously a great place to visit, especially if you get on a guided tour. Its really not just for history buffs and japanease tourists. The place is full of so much atsmophere, and the guides are simply fantastic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Dj1rhwfu1o
It may not span for the entire day, but with it being in London it really isn't a problem because theres lots to do around the area. However I could easily spend a day there because its one of the centre icons of a period in history im VERY interested about, The Tudors. However, as i said, i do beleive it can be enjoyed by everyone. I took 3 friends with me last August, one who was only into WW1&WW2 history, one into Art, and one who really wasn't into anything, and we all LOVED it. I really recomend a tour, it was the best i've ever been on.

Corkscrewed

Tue May 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Erm...
6. The Eden Project.

Seriously, It isn't over rated, It's a fantastic day out for anyone... Just exploring and that :D I'd also suggest Flambards if your in the area, but the rules state no themeparks, so all well.

Cornwall ftw :D

Moley

Tue May 27, 2008 11:29 pm

7. Keys Park, Hednesford :P

Home of the best non-league team called Hednesford Town, in the world.

8. Cannock Chase

Probably the only upside to living where I do.

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 28, 2008 12:27 am

9. Blists Hill Victorian Town

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/our_attrac ... rian_town/

Just to sum it up this place is basically a victorian town in private ownership that has been kept in victorian era condition. It's full of wonderful walks, mines, shops and places to eat. All true to the victorian theme.

I first went to this place a few years back with my dad, uncle and cousin on a week traveling the UK. It was one of the absolute highlights I must say, everything about it I just loved.

Being able to go into the pub and have an absolutely brilliant singalong with staff who dressed and acted like that of the Victorian era and then pop over to the iron works, butchers, pharmacy even printers was just great. The moment you step through into the town you just fly back in time.
You can even change up your money as you enter via the bank into old fashioned money just to make purchasing victorian goods that bit more authentic.

What really made it for me was the actors, they were really passionate and skilled in what they did, for example pharmaceuticals. You could ask them any question and be guaranteed an answer. They were friendly and always up for a laugh.

If you passing by (its just down the road from Iron Bridge) it's defiantly worth a visit for the amazing walks alone.

Heres a video of the Iron Works.

piraka
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2008 11:05 am

Nine already! well done all that are involved. Nice one Kaz, i have also been to blists hill twice.
10. Peasholm Park Naval Warfare,Smallest manned navy in the world
11. Brean Down
Not only a spit of land with a iron age and late victorian fort and roman remains, but views across to cardiff and weston super mare (useful forT4 on the beach.) Look out for cocky the cockatiel at the bird gardens aswell :)
sorry no link.
Onwards we go!
"I am like fire, and ice, and rage.

I\'m like the night, and the storm, and the heart of the sun.

I\'m is ancient and forever, he burns at the centre of time, and he can see the turn of the Universe."

Nemesis

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am

12. Chatham Dockyards. great for the kids to get a blast into the past and they do brilliant rollplays and have great actors! a cheap and fun day out!
http://www.chdt.org.uk/

13. Fort Amhurst. might have seen it on "Most Haunted" but the guided ghost tours are brilliant and really are very scary. especially when the staff find it fun to run off and leave you in the tunnels hehe.
but i have to say. if you think the fright nights are scary at alton towers, why dont you try the fright nights here! you will be shocked at how physical they are!! haha. i wont give too much away though because if you do go. you'll love it!
http://www.fortamherst.com/

formula1fan

Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm

14. Madame Tussauds in London. Featuring a massive line-up of waxworks of famous people, this attreaction will provide lots of great photo opportunities.
15. Coventry Transport Museum. Located in Coventry (obviously!), the museum charts the history of motoring, especially in the local area, with various cars, commercial vehicles, concepts, motorbikes etc.
16. National Railway Museum in York. With famous trains, such as the Mallard and the Flying Scotsman, this is a very interesting look into the world of rail transport, with some hands-on exhibits as well. When I went, entry was free, so I'd assume that it still is.
17. National Space Centre in Leicester. It's great! There are various shows, interactive exhibits etc.
18. Future World @ Goonhilly. Communications aplenty here, with the chance to climb a satellite, go on an XBOX360, use the FREE internet cafe, with a connection speed of 100Mbps, making it the fastest FREE internet cafe in the world!

Nick

Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm

19. Omega Sektor, Birmingham

Brilliant for game fans, over 400 PC's all connected on a LAN, the latest and best games to date, Xbox 360's to play on, and of course, Rock Band :D

-Jamie-
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm

20. Scotland's Secret Bunker. This was a cold war early warning radar station built near St Andrews. Above ground there's just an innocent looking farmhouse, but underground there is a massive bunker designed to to house 300 people in the event of a nuclear attack.
http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/index.asp

21. Museum of Flight. East Fortune near Edinburgh. On the site of a former RAF airship base, it has a great selection of aircraft. Some of them include aircraft such as a Supermarine Spitfire, Panavia Tornado F3, McDonnell Douglas Phantom II, Avro Vulcan bomber and a De Havilland Comet, which was the worlds first jet powered passenger airliner. Some of the more unusual items on display are an Avro Blue Steel nuclear missile and a Polaris A3 Active Inert Missile which was used as a handling trainer at Faslane Naval Base.
The main attraction has to be concorde which has its own exhibition. You are given an audio tour and can even go inside it.
http://www.nms.ac.uk/museumofflighthomepage.aspx

22. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. This is situated in the West End of Glasgow and if anyone ever goes to Glasgow this is a must see attraction. It was refurbished a couple of years ago and ever since has been the most popular museum in Britain outside London. Its most famous painting is probably Salvador Dali's Christ of Saint John of the Cross but it has a wide range of exhibitions on art as well as Ancient Egypt and Charles Rennie Mackintosh among others. It has a selection of stuffed Scottish wild animals including a wild haggis! Its a great day for all the family as it has a lot of interactive attractions for children and, along with the transport museum across the road, has free entry.
http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=4

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 am

"Nick" wrote:
19. Omega Sektor, Birmingham

Brilliant for game fans, over 400 PC's all connected on a LAN, the latest and best games to date, Xbox 360's to play on, and of course, Rock Band :D

*Cheer!*

What a great place

Big Dave

Thu May 29, 2008 9:56 am

oblivion1993
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm

25. warwick castle altough the prices ar hurendous (sp) (well it is ownd by merlin)

26.twycross zoo
ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

LiamC
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Hack Green - Nuclear bunker not far from Nantwich near Crewe. Absoulutely huge and a good day out

Hack Green

Vanessa Feltz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 pm

28- Bristol Zoo
Trust me its an amzing place

29- Longleat safari park!
again an amazing park (plus it has 2 rollercoasters!)
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"

formula1fan

Fri May 30, 2008 6:32 pm

^ No, I think you're thinking of West Midlands Safari Park. Still, Longleat is a fantastic place!

suffy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm

30 - The Rheged Centre in Cumbria.

A very interesting place! Very eco friendly, fun and educational, play area for the young 'uns, a Massive] cinema, great shops, and all very modern and hygenic and stuff! I love it.

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm

31. Chester zoo - Uk's no1 zoo (according to them anyway)
Great place, big range of animals and alot of indoor attractions great if there is bad weather.

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 30, 2008 9:37 pm

32: Belton House.

It's a big-ass house in Belton, near Grantham, Lincolnshire. There's a heowge adventure play area, too, which is still awesome. Tours round the house every so often during the day, some concerts during the summer, a maze, some nice walks if you're into that type of stuff. It's sort of a rip off of Chatsworth, but National Trust. ;)

Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.