I've changed the topic title Kryn, just to stop the anti-smoking brigade popping up with the expected lectures. :lol:
Defending my right to smoke would probably make me wanna light up. :P
Things are going much better than expected, it's not easy at all but I find that if I can just do something else for the few seconds that I get a craving then it will buy me another half an hour without thinking about it.
Often I can go for a couple of hours and i'm amazed when I realise i've not thought about them for that whole time. :o
Passive smoking is the way to go, it smells much nicer now than before, and it's free! :P
I'm on the patches which seem to be really doing the trick. In the past i've used the gum and inhalers but I found them a bit gimmicky, you could chew the gum for half hour and the inhaler could last ten minutes, I think this causes problems as your still looking forward to your nicotine fix at those times. With the patch I can forget about it a lot easier and know i'm getting a regular dose at irregular times which doesn't make me look forward to anything.
I think this thread is a great idea, I was honestly really motivated when I found out that others had quit within the same week as me, one of my biggest fears TBH is the urge to smoke when on meetups, my leisure time around other smokers, we enjoy a good old puff, also all the drinking. :P
To know that we are all in this together will make things a a lot easier. Obviously we'll have to wait and see. [-o<
top tips so far then.
- Don't listen to whining smokers or non smokers, whether smoking is harming you or not is irrelevant IMO. The fact of the matter is that your doing something that YOU don't want to do, it could be anything really, your just changing a habit. It's your choice. :D
- Get some fruit baby! use the money your saving to buy the nice out of season fruit you wouldn't dream of buying otherwise. MMMM Cherries? Strawberries?
- Weight gain? Don't bother worrying about that, weight gain, if any, can be sorted out later, giving up is the key goal at ATM. :D
- Brush dem Teeth :lol: if you need a ciggy at home, go brush your Teeth. It will last just as long as a ciggy would and you'll be doing your Teeth a bit of could (as long as you don't develop a 20 a day colgate addiction :P ).
- Don't drink for a while. I was worried about last night, I usually get rat arsed and that would have caused massive problems. Instead i bout low alcohol lager so I knew there was no chance of getting drunk and found I could control my cravings a lot better while still getting a taste of the beeros. :P I think the bods suggest 7 days without a drink, boring sods. #-o
- Last of all, and this has been the most important for me so far, say it loud and proud. "I choose not to smoke!" I've even been shouting this in the car, it's quite amusing. :lol: By the way, no, I haven't joined a cult. :lol:
I'm only in day 5 so who knows what will happen, I must say though this is the most motivated i've ever been and i've tried a few times. Kryn, don't give up, giving up as they say. If the time wasn't right then there will be another along soon. If you don't want to do it then don't! :)
Good luck everyone!
:D :D :D