UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Smoking (giving up)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Seems like a lot of us on here are quitting the dreaded cancer sticks. I personally failed in my quest to stop, but I shall be giving it another go soon.

How is everyone else getting on? - Maybe we should use this thread to motivate each other?

DiogoJ42

Re: Smoking

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Well don't look at me... I'm a proud smoker!

seriously though, good luck quitting if it's what you want to do.

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:39 pm

The tip is Mark not to start in the first place :lol:

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:15 pm

I don't smoke or drink - never have never will - but best of luck to those who are already or wish to give up smoking. You have my full support!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:17 pm

My dad gave up smoking last year!

He'd been a heavy smoker since he was 14 when he got into his 40s he tried to stop but failed, he tried nicorettes mostly which didn't work. Until last year(he's now 47) he decided to give it another go by taking nicorettes again and just chewing gum all the time and it worked & because of the smoking in public places ban he doesn't really crave them at all now.

By looking at how long its taken my dad to stop i know its not impossible to give up.

Good luck with giving up!

:)

Anonymous

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 am

Hows the rest getting on??

Crofty
Saz
Henty

etc etc....

Crofty

Re: Smoking (giving up)

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 am

I've changed the topic title Kryn, just to stop the anti-smoking brigade popping up with the expected lectures. :lol:
Defending my right to smoke would probably make me wanna light up. :P

Anyway...

Things are going much better than expected, it's not easy at all but I find that if I can just do something else for the few seconds that I get a craving then it will buy me another half an hour without thinking about it.
Often I can go for a couple of hours and i'm amazed when I realise i've not thought about them for that whole time. :o
Passive smoking is the way to go, it smells much nicer now than before, and it's free! :P

I'm on the patches which seem to be really doing the trick. In the past i've used the gum and inhalers but I found them a bit gimmicky, you could chew the gum for half hour and the inhaler could last ten minutes, I think this causes problems as your still looking forward to your nicotine fix at those times. With the patch I can forget about it a lot easier and know i'm getting a regular dose at irregular times which doesn't make me look forward to anything.

I think this thread is a great idea, I was honestly really motivated when I found out that others had quit within the same week as me, one of my biggest fears TBH is the urge to smoke when on meetups, my leisure time around other smokers, we enjoy a good old puff, also all the drinking. :P
To know that we are all in this together will make things a a lot easier. Obviously we'll have to wait and see. [-o<
top tips so far then.

- Don't listen to whining smokers or non smokers, whether smoking is harming you or not is irrelevant IMO. The fact of the matter is that your doing something that YOU don't want to do, it could be anything really, your just changing a habit. It's your choice. :D

- Get some fruit baby! use the money your saving to buy the nice out of season fruit you wouldn't dream of buying otherwise. MMMM Cherries? Strawberries?

- Weight gain? Don't bother worrying about that, weight gain, if any, can be sorted out later, giving up is the key goal at ATM. :D

- Brush dem Teeth :lol: if you need a ciggy at home, go brush your Teeth. It will last just as long as a ciggy would and you'll be doing your Teeth a bit of could (as long as you don't develop a 20 a day colgate addiction :P ).

- Don't drink for a while. I was worried about last night, I usually get rat arsed and that would have caused massive problems. Instead i bout low alcohol lager so I knew there was no chance of getting drunk and found I could control my cravings a lot better while still getting a taste of the beeros. :P I think the bods suggest 7 days without a drink, boring sods. #-o

- Last of all, and this has been the most important for me so far, say it loud and proud. "I choose not to smoke!" I've even been shouting this in the car, it's quite amusing. :lol: By the way, no, I haven't joined a cult. :lol:

I'm only in day 5 so who knows what will happen, I must say though this is the most motivated i've ever been and i've tried a few times. Kryn, don't give up, giving up as they say. If the time wasn't right then there will be another along soon. If you don't want to do it then don't! :)

Good luck everyone!
:D :D :D

AstroDan

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Great stuff, Crofty boyo! Think of all that extra cash you'll have to spend on Mack related beauty products!

:D

Corkscrewed

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Eurgh I suppose I'd better give up soon. I need the money more than I need the nicotine :P

I'll give up when I choose though, cos It'll be better than being forced into it. Next couple of days methinks though, I've had enough of it quite frankly...

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:01 pm

i want to give up at some point but i am not ready yet....

one thing that i keep thinking about is, what happens if you stop smoking fo 10 years and then get hit by a falling piano,rampaging giraffe or some other unexpected twist.....that would really put stopping smoking into perspective :lol:

good luck though, hope you manage(but dont turn into one of those high and mighty x-smokers, you know the kinds i mean...urghhhhh)
[

Sammyb
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Shent.........is slowly getting there, hes only smoking on weekends now :D, eventhough he works with smokers he is doing well from what i can see.

But god only knows what he gets up to at work [-X

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:49 pm

The only tip I can give is "DON'T CREEP".

That means, just having the odd one here and there, or when you've had a bad day, or on weekends...

You're not giving up, you're cutting down. Then the odd one when you're stressed becomes more regular, as what you class as 'stressed' becomes an excuse for having a fag. It becomes more trivial, until you're just smoking as normal again.

You have to stop completely and break the habit of smoking altogether. The moment you NEED a fag, is the precise moment that you should be refusing to have one. It's just a case of stiffening your backbone and dealing with the cravings. Once you've broken the habit, it gets much easier.

I still smoke every so often when drunk. I've never taken it up though properly again. Just one or two every few months while I'm out drinking. It's a pleasure I allow myself, and just deal with the cravings I get over the next few days and go cold turkey again. It puts me off smoking again for another few months :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:44 am

*thinks back to a time, a time before cable, a time when ttf had a long haired wizard at its argumentative helm, a time when there was such a thing called... Smoking ROCKS.*

Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Crofty

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:07 pm

"stokywolf" wrote:
*thinks back to a time, a time before cable, a time when ttf had a long haired wizard at its argumentative helm, a time when there was such a thing called... Smoking ROCKS.*

I agree, Smoking does rock!

I've gone over the week now, i's all going well I ain't touched a single ciggy. :)
There was a really tough point on Sunday night when I decided to have a few vodkas. I was sloshed and in a dilema :lol: I decided that having just the one at that point would set me back to square One, so went to bed and felt even better for myself in the morning.

:D :D

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:36 am

I think my Dr is on TTF.

I got a phonecall last night off my doctor (i think it were?) asking if i still smoke and how many i smoked a day. It went something like this:
Doctor panjid: How many you smoking a day
The mond: It varies
Dr P: So about 20?
Mond: nah about 5 - 15.
Dr P: hokay and do you plan on quitting
Mond: Not at the moment nope.
Dr P: Well that's not very good is it.
Mond: I don't think so.
Dr P: hokay bye

(names are changed to protect those involved)

The last time i had any involvment with my doctor was when they rang me about 2 years ago asking if i smoked. Before then was about 8 years previos. lol

Maybe its a sign?
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm

I have my last packet of baccy and after that it's gone for good this time. I've quit before but "creeped" as Phil pointed out in his post and I fell back into doing it this time I have to remain stronger willed. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Crofty

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:41 am

I didn't know you smoked Spike!

I still got half of my last pouch of bacci in the car lol. I just decided that if I went down that route I would keep buying 'last pouches.' :lol:
The question is though, why have I not thrown that half a pack of bacci out of the window yet?
Strange things going on in my sub conscious. :P

Good Luck Spike!

:D :D