UK theme parks from another point of view!

laura87
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Smoking

Thu May 21, 2009 3:59 pm

the big debate about smoking in the towers has got me thinking about smoking in general, it seems a fair amount of people who use the forum smoke. Got me thinking and I realised I've now been a smoker for 8 years!

I started smoking when I was 14 because I thought it was cool. I used to smoke everyday but over the last year I've cut down dramatically and now I only really smoke during really stressful times, exams etc or when I'm out for a heavy drinking session.

so come on who on TTF smokes and who doesn't?

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Re: smoking

Thu May 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Hate it, always havee and will never do it.

People don't seem to realize just how smoking effects so many people around you, not just yourself. :/
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

stretchy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 21, 2009 4:52 pm

I dont smoke, never had, am asthmatic so smoking would just aggravate it. BUT even though i love the fact that i can go to the pub and not come home smelling of cigerettes, I think that this is one more liberty that the government is taking off us. each of these little 'your not allowds' grows on the last. Before too long the governments desperate attempt to control everything that its populous does will casue society to rebel, I dont want a civil war. wars suck, but thats what the idiots in power keep heading towards. a police state which we will all eventually rebel against.

oops.. maybe i should stop reading books like 1984, v for vendetta, brave new world and so on

Anonymous

Thu May 21, 2009 5:18 pm

I love smoking. Not only does it make me look cool in front of my mates, but its hard.

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 21, 2009 5:34 pm

"kryn" wrote:
I love smoking. Not only does it make me look cool in front of my mates, but its hard.

Hahaha smack on!

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 pm

"Danzaw*nk" wrote:
Hate it, always havee and will never do it.

People don't seem to realize just how smoking effects so many people around you, not just yourself. :/

I second that! I've never smoked and never will, too bad for you and it pretty much controls you once you're hooked!
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

[Archive]

Thu May 21, 2009 6:46 pm

I hope I never start smoking. My dad suffers from really bad athsma thanks to ciggarettes and when I see people on the streets smoking it seems like a lack of respect to me. It isn't just something you do that gets others annoyed, it is something you do that actually harms others.

formula1fan

Thu May 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Never have and never will. It's a disgusting, expensive and addictive habit, and it harms everyone else around, not just the smokers themselves.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I did smoke for a while but it was more of peer pressure from others around me. I stopped smoking about a year ago never liked it really I just done it to fit in with the people around me. Obviously when I stopped smoking my friends left me which just shows that they wern't exctally friends in the first place, but I've moved on and got nice friends now, we just all typical illegal drinking teenage alchi's :P .

I always found smoking as something to do when I was bored, It's not partically the nicest thing in the world but I don't mind people around me smoking, it's there life, we have our opinion and they have there's.

So I was a smoker but are neither for or against smokers.

Invie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 22, 2009 3:11 am

*hides from all the people who hate smokers.*

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am

I just accept it. Things like going to Liverpool matches for several years before the smoking ban made me acclimatised to it. It's life and I can't really do much to change what they are doing.

Kaycee

Fri May 22, 2009 5:20 pm

When I was younger and strictly moral and self-righteous, I hated smoking. But now I very occasionally social smoke (that's right, I'm one of those annoying people who never buy a pack but nick other people's after a few drinks ;) ), but I have made a promise to myself I will never buy my own packet as that would be crossing a line. So now, I appreciate the 'relaxing qualities' a cigarette has every now and again, but I'm in control and never crave them. I hate the idea of being ruled and controlled by cigarettes and an addiction. As much as I relish going out now and not coming home (necessarily) and having my hair and clothes stink, I do wish smoking was allowed in public indoor places, it's annoying when your mates keep disappearing to have a fag. And I do think it's another example of the government trying to wrap us up in cotton wool and protect our health at the expense of our civil liberties.

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 pm

As always, just need to point out a couple of things.

"Smoking rocks" :D

and

"If you smoke you're an idiot."
:D
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 25, 2009 11:24 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
"It's annoying when your mates keep disappearing to have a fag."

Y'know, that really, really fricks me off! Mid way through a deep conversation and you get "I'm just going out for a smoke" :shock:! Or you really want to say something, tell a story, gossip, whatever - "I'm just going for a fag"! The worst one, since well this is a theme park based forum - you’re at a theme park about to go on a ride and low behold have to wait to go down the queue line because so and so is having a smoke!

I don't like smoking, I'm not a smoker, and probably won't ever venture down that path in life. But y'know I'm starting to wonder if this smoking ban is worth the inconvenience it causes! My dad smokes and has smoked all his life so am used to smokers, and I think I'd rather just put up with smokers as opposed to the inconvenience!

Wildmousabout
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Never smoked a cigarette in my life and never will :x

Hate cigarettes. Disgusting smell and cuts your life short (among other things) :roll:

The NHS is struggling enough as it is, without having to spend money on smoke related illnesses.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 26, 2009 12:52 am

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGcPiSxeyYg&feature=related" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGcPiSxe ... re=related[/url]

3 minutes in. :D Great episode that!

To be honest, I don't have a problem with smoking and I have smoked in the past and do occasionally now when drunk. I do however feel that non-smokers shouldn't be subjected to other peoples smoke (I mean this in an intrusive way, not just walking down the street kinda of stuff) if they don't want to be.

But I must admit I love the smell of tobacco drifting through the air on a hot summers day!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

DiogoJ42

Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 am

Kaycee, we need more non-smokers like you!

I have smoked since I was 16. Infact, I am probably the biggest smoker I know. I could toke for the UK in London 2012!

There's very little I have to say about the pros and cons of smoking that hasn't already been said by Bill Hicks.

Crofty

Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 am

Gave up in february this year, had a few on nights out since then but not felt the need to smoke afterwards in work or at home, I still stand in the smoking shelter after work lol.
I don't mind anyone smoking I can't stand non smokers imposing their personal views about smoking on everyone else, If you hate smoking then fine but do us all a favour shut the feck up. :P We all get lectured enough by the government on how we should best live our lives and what might or might not kill us, the last thing we need are a bunch of amateur Hilary Jones' telling us what we shouldn't be inhaling into our lungs.

If you like a smoke, smoke, if you want. If you don't then don't. Simples. :)

:D :D

zs chris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm

I could understand peoples hatred towards smoking when it was allowed indoors in places, but since the ban I think people are now just being petty and siding with a heavily imposed government campaign to scare people and impose a ban on anything that people want to do, pressuring people against their own free will in a country we already pay through the teeth for the right to live in..

I smoke occasionally on a night out, and you will see that 9/10 smokers are polite when doing so and do it nowhere near people who may take offence, there are just a few who ruin things for everyone else..

Unless you have a justifiable reason I dont think its fair to say you hate smoking, if people want to damage their bodies its their own right, just as obesity, alcohol or substance abuse does..

You cant impose your ideologies on people just because you dont like something.. If you want to do that go live somewhere like Iran or North Korea :x

There rant over! :D

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:16 pm

I think smokers sometimes don't realize how noticeable it is when someone is smoking. My dad was a heavy smoker and he sadly died from it. After he did, it was so much easier to notice the smell of smoke and it did annoy me. It's easy for smokers to say they don't think it is that noticeable, but it really is. I don't have a problem if people want to smoke, that's their choice, but it does get to me if they insist on doing in front of everyone and people that don't want to be around it.

"zs_chris" wrote:
You cant impose your ideologies on people just because you dont like something

But that's always been the way though. If the hegemonic belief is that something is bad or good then that's that. Just look at the early 20th century with the ideology that black people were the route of all evil. Things just take time to change just like the laws on smoking have.
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3