UK theme parks from another point of view!

LiamSAFC

Sleep Paralysis

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm

I know there was a topic on this somewhere but I searched and there was nowt there, so here goes...

Now, last night I experienced this. If your not aware of what it is, just take a look at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis[/url] . It is quite possibly one of the most horrific things I've actually came across, but I didn't realise what it was until a few hours ago when I cottoned on to the topic here, considering it had all the same symptoms. I didn't get the "pressing on the chest" sensation, although I got the 'old hag' experience and it's not pleasant at all. My body just went completely still.

I was on the lash last night, so that certainly could have something to do with the state of sleep I was in, etc, but it happened this morning. I've still got the image of that demon thing in my mind.

Anyone ever had that type of experience?

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Sleep Paralysis

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Yep! I suffered from Sleep Paralysis really badly about 3 years ago, althought I didn't see anything, I had the illusion of someone snoring heavily/pressing down across my throat, and I'd wake seeing noone but still feeling a presence there, its a very surreal experience and I'm glad its stopped!
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm not sure.

I've had a demon/monster face flash in front of my eyes whilst asleep. I woke up but then couldn't move my body for a few seconds, it seemed like longer though.

DiogoJ42

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm

As I said in the old topic, I've had this a few times.
Usually preceded by a nightmare about some horrible demon / monster in the room. I wake up in a panic, unable to breathe, or call for help. After a few seconds I realise what's happening, but that doesn't stop it! Thankfully, Kelpie has been beside me so shake me awake when it's happened. But sooner or later it's going to occur when she's not there to calm me down... that's a frightening thought!

It's possibly the most frightening thing that I've ever endured, because in that half awake state, it's hard to tell dreams from reality. I can totally understand how people could mistake it for alien abduction. (Although I've never had that one yet, despite being a sci-fi geek / believer in alien life)

EDIT:

Just found the original topic for you:
[url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22588[/url]
:D

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I have experienced this only once about a year ago. I did not have the 'evil' sensation, just the whole waking up and being conscious yet being unable to move. I lay the blame on the abnormal sleep patterns I was having at the time.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 pm

I suffer from this fairly badly. Mostly happens when I am sleeping in the day after a night shift. It did used to be rather frightening at times, but knowing that there was unlikely to be some form of evil spirit trying to kill me, some googling later and Sleep Paralysis cropped up.

Now I know what it is, it doesn't bother me any more. The episodes of it are now few and far between, and when it does happen I become aware of it and am able to influence the dreams to rid my self of the bad presence feeling normally Associated with an episode of SP.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Joel

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 am

I've had sleep paralysis once, the only way I could get out of it was to fall back asleep. Was damn scarey though :(

I quite often suffer with night terrors and falling sensations in my sleep, usually wake to feel myself "bouncing" in the bed as if I'd just landed in it after falling.

Thats apparently due to the fluid in your ear canals getting stuck and tricking your brain into falling, so you dream it too, and apparently the "falling into your bed" bounce thing is caused by your muscles quickly tensing up as you dream you're about to hit the floor suddenly... as you wake up.

Thats vile too I tell thee, and I get it a helluva lot :|

Oh, that and I mumble and groan when I'm falling asleep too :P Sigh.

DiogoJ42

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 am

Isn't the falling thing some kind of reflex dating back to when we were apes who slept in trees? So that if we did fall, we would wake up and grab something! :P

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:33 am

I'm not sure if this classes as "sleep paralysis" but in my teens I was asleep and dreaming whilst at my Dads. In the dream I was shot at point blank range into my heart, I felt (envisaged) the bullet enter and pierce my heart causing me to wake suddenly and wander down the hallway clutching my chest to which I eventually collapsed and smacked my head on my dads bedroom door subsequently waking him.

It's the only time in my life where I've experienced a dream/nightmare filter in my consciousness and remember the feelings endured in the dream/nightmare.

Still, to this day I remember it so well and it still puzzles me. I'm not sure if that classes as "sleep paralysis" but it really freaked me out. :(
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Rathaus
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

That's graphic.. :shock:

Dormiens-Dave

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:51 am

The falling sensation is quite common, its called a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch (long word)

No-ones fully sure why it happens but they think it may be caused by the body misinterpreting the relaxing muscles during the early stages of sleep as though the body is falling and reacts accordingly.

The other theory is that it is just a a normal part of the transition to sleep but it is more pronounced in certain people or in certain situations.

I used to get them a lot but not so much now

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:20 pm

I've had some wierd, semi-conscious hallucinatory dreams before.

They didn't even make sense. I remember one the hallway that I was apparently staring at with my eyes open, starting spinning and I had an intense feeling of regret then ran into the loft :D

Oh, another everything in my room turned round and starting throbbing and I felt a really weird spikey sensation. And the last one, there were too many people in my bed going to the Michael Jackson concert and I got pushed off meaning I couldn't go... :lol: I actually remember curling up right at the end of my double bed because there apparently wasn't enough room.

Trippy s***.

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:47 pm

I've never had this, however, it sounds terrifying.

I've experienced the 'falling' and my room spinning around and throbbing before, but I wasn't really scared.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm

I've suffered from sleep paralysis twice that I can remember, both times happened around really stressful periods in my life so I believe they are partly the cause. It was terrifying though, and I hope it never happens again.

My main sleep issue is a recurring dream, and it drives me up the wall! Also suffered from the falling sensation too, again when stressed.

Recently I've been suffering from Insomnia again, yet again down to stress haha.

Other than this, I'm an ok sleeper. My brother is terrible though, we once stayed in a travelodge and he sleep walked out of the room into the downstairs lobby. :shock:

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

I used to have these things where I'd wake up and the room would look twice the size it actually was, that messed me up big time. :?

The other one was when I was a kid, if I had a temperature and a migrane, I'd wake up in the middle of the night screaming, running around the room terrified perfectly awake. I could never understand why I was reacting in such a way because every time my parents asked me what was up, I pretty much screamed "I DON'T KNOW!" and broke down in tears. :?

Very very bizarre events... Shows how powerful and scary the human mind can be... it can make you see things you don't want to see, do things you don't realise you're doing. You can become ill because you think you might be, when nothing is wrong. Your brain is a horrendously powerful tool and if you cant control it... well, I think you know what you become.

The human body is such an incredible creation. But, dare I say it? It's flawed. :|
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:08 am

Its not flawed the trouble is the world is such a complex place that the senses can't acquire all of it so the brain fills in the blanks, trouble is sometimes it buggers up its calculations.

Your sight is around 30% made up hence why you sometimes see things that are not there as the brain makes a mistake with its calculations

AdamJ

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 am

Over the past week I've had a few like dreams where, it's as if everything happens to me, I feel it, but know nothing happens. The main one, which happened last night, was where I was at this like factory, and I was being chased by these guys who shot me, and I remember feeling the bullet's enter my back, and it's almost as if the dream dives into a 3rd person view, and I just see myself on the floor trying to call for help knowing nbody's there.

Also, every now & again, I'll get this sudden shake, I can be fast asleep, and I'll just shake, a single movement and it always wakes me up no matter what, and it's as if I've just hit the floor, that type of smashing shake sensation. Also every now & again I get the room like compacting around me, nd I hate small spaces so I panic and the only way out of it is to grab my mobile and beam the light around the room to see what's happening.

I don't know what they are, or what causes them, but it's damn weird and sometimes scary.

A5H

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I too occasionally have the "falling" sensation. I like jump and grab for something even though there is nothing to grab for. It's a weird experience.

I have had dreams where i'm on rollercoasters (sad i know) and things go wrong and I wake up just as something is about to go wrong and just before I die.

I've heard that you wake up just before you die because it is possible to die really :? Apparently that's one way how some people have died in their sleep because they didn't wake up :?

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 am

"A5H" wrote:
I too occasionally have the "falling" sensation. I like jump and grab for something even though there is nothing to grab for. It's a weird experience.

I have had dreams where i'm on rollercoasters (sad i know) and things go wrong and I wake up just as something is about to go wrong and just before I die.

I've heard that you wake up just before you die because it is possible to die really :? Apparently that's one way how some people have died in their sleep because they didn't wake up :?

I assumed they checked this by asking the dead person the next morning then? :P
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

Joel

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm

I always presumed you can never dream about death (and instead wake up at that point or stop dreaming) because we don't know what it feels like, and its something unimaginable to feel like, because theres just no feelings our body can use to put together the "feeling" of death.

I think I lost myself there :? lol

I really should keep a dream diary too, I had a very very vivid dream last night in which a nuclear bomb had been launched against the UK. I remember hearing sirens going off, and panicking to get home, telling people to not look at the sky, get in a dark place. I suddenly got back home, and remembered having my family around. We were desperately trying to tape up windows and vents etc, and I was trying to find a TV station with information on about what to do and where the bomb had landed and gone off.

All the time I remember a strange feeling that life as we knew it was completely changed, and all the routines and things we do day to day were just gone, and all that was left was a fear of what do we do next, how do we go forward and how do we continue to exist.

Thats a really common dream for me too :shock: