UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

World Cup 2010

Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 pm

So the world cup kicks off in just a month today and I personally, can't wait.

Yes, it's the same every world cup, we get our hopes up only to be disappointed. However, this is actually our best squad in a while and with other big teams not being as strong so i'd say we are in with a good shout, especially if Rooney can keep fit. Capello knows how to win trophies.

Capello has named his 30-man provisional squad and is as follows:

Goalkeepers:

Joe Hart (MNC)
David James (POR)
Robert Green (WHU)

Defenders:

Leighton Baines (EVE)
Jamie Carragher (LIV)
Ashley Cole (CHE)
Michael Dawson (TOT)
Rio Ferdinand (MNU)
Glen Johnson (MNC)
Ledley King (TOT)
John Terry (CHE)
Matthew Upson (WHU)
Stephen Warnock (AV)

Midfielders:

Gareth Barry (MNC)
Michael Carrick (MNU)
Joe Cole (CHE)
Steven Gerrard (LIV)
Tom Huddlestone (TOT)
Adam Johnson (MNC)
Frank Lampard (CHE)
Aaron Lennon (TOT)
James Milner (AV)
Scott Parker (WHU)
Theo Walcott (ARS)
Shaun Wright-Phillips (MNC)

Forwards:

Darren Bent (SUN)
Peter Crouch (TOT)
Jermain Defoe (TOT)
Emile Heskey (AV)
Wayne Rooney (MNU)

So what do you make of the squad? I'm gutted for Hargreaves missing out as he was clearly our best player last time round and is always consistent for England but I can understand why, he's fit, but it's a big risk to take him. However, surely it makes more sense to name Hargreaves who currently is fit, over Barry (who Hargreaves was going to replace) when he's out for a month?
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Moley

Re: World Cup 2010

Tue May 11, 2010 3:23 pm

"Danzaw*nk" wrote:
However, this is actually our best squad in a while

This is the England equivalent of "next year is our year"

LiamSAFC

Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Based on the logic of form - Darren Bent has to go over the likes of Heskey and Zamora. 24 Premier League goals, Mr Cappello would be a hypocrite if he didn't take him, although I'm personally not that arsed. Fingers crossed he doesn't get injured!

Bit surprised Jagielka hasn't been included, think hes been a very underrated player this year. Glad Lescott isn't going as hes a liability for England. Other than that, think we really have to wait until June 1st to see what the 23 man squad will be.

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 3:53 pm

"Moley"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Danzaw*nk" wrote:
However, this is actually our best squad in a while

This is the England equivalent of "next year is our year"[/quote]

It's actually true though.
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Personally i think Holland will win, but England have a chance if we play well and don't get over complacent like in previous years. I would have picked Zamora over Heskey and Wes Brown over Baines. Also like what Danza said he should have picked Hargreaves over Barry

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Of course I want England to win the World Cup, however I think Spain have got to be the favourites with the likes of Torres, Silva, Villa, Xavi, Iniesta etc in there squad.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

BSwiss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm

You can't take Hargreaves after he's only played 30 minutes in like a year and a half. There's a big difference between being fit and match sharp. Its between Brazil, Spain, Italy and Germany for me.

Dunga has got Brazil very well organised, they're not the most 'Brazilian' of Brazilian teams ever but they've got great discipline now as well as a few players that can produce that bit of magic.

Spain have got arguably the best squad and have been formidable in the past few years.

Italy and Germany are two that'll always start slow, appear past it but then grind out result after result.

Argentina should be a shout (Messi, Tevez, Milito, Higauin, Aguero, Di Maria is a pretty impressive amass of attacking talent), but Maradonna doesn't seem quite sure as to what he is doing.

Can't personally see us getting past the semis this time, but I'm just going to enjoy it all the same.

Moley

Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Had a bit of a flutter on Ivory Coast to get to the semi final stage.

---- Post Info Added ----

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE[/url]

One of the best Nike adverts ever. I know it's not directly World Cup related but it has to be posted for this moment alone:

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm

The highlight of that video is Homer Simpson.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 24, 2010 6:27 pm

To be honest I can't see England winning the world cup this year myself, but I think we'll do better than in previous years, and could even get to the final if we're lucky. I can't see Italy winning it either, they're just not that convincing defensively, in my opinion.

I would back Holland, but their performance against a second string England line-up in the 2-2 draw last summer was awful, and therefore my money is going on Brazil, though Spain have an outside chance. :)

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 24, 2010 9:38 pm

My predictions:

Winners: Holland
Runners up: England
3rd Place: Portugal
4th Place: Spain
Top Goalscorer: Torres or Ronaldo
Underachievers: Germany (hopefully)
Overachievers: Mexico, i honestly think they'll win there group ahead of France, and get to the 1/4 finals (to be beat by england)
Best Players: Gerrard, Ronaldo, Van Persie and Drogba

What's everyone else's predictions

Also congratulations to Blackpool and Ian Hollaway :clap: :clap: :clap:

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Portugal 3rd? They couldn't even manage to beat a team ranked 117th tonight!
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah, but don't forget Newcastle got beat 6-1 by orient in pre season, then had an unbeaten season at home, and got 100+ points

elmerfudd
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Theres no way Holland will win it. I think Ivory Coast are the team to look out for this year. With the likes of Drogba, Kalou, the Toure brothers and Eboue, they could cause a real threat. If you look at thier group aswell its abit tough (Portugal, Brazil and North Korea) but I can see them edging it over Portugal.
I would have had my money on Germany doing it this year because they will be more hungry than ever since they lost out 4 years ago in thier own country, but now Ballacks out, I think it will be a Spain Argentina final with the spainish outfit coming out on top.
Based on Englands perfomance yesterday, I cant see them doing it. Yes, they have the best group of players we have had for a while but I just cant see them winning it.

Winners - Spain
Runners up - Argentina
Top goalscorer - Torres
Last edited by elmerfudd on Tue May 25, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titters
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

I can see Spain or Argentina winning this year. Brazil are out of the picture I think. However, I'm trying to convince myself that England have a chance too. Although we all know that's not going to happen :)

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

"elmerfudd" wrote:
Theres no way Holland will win it. I think Ivory Coast are the team to look out for this year. With the likes of Drogba, Kalou, the Toure brothers and Eboue, they could cause a real threat. If you look at thier group aswell its abit tough (Portugal, Brazil and North Korea) but I can see them edging it over Portugal.
I would have had my money on Germany doing it this year because they will be more hungry than ever since they lost out 4 years ago in thier own country, but now Ballacks out, I think it will be a Spain Argentina final with the spainish outfit coming out on top.
Based on Englands perfomance yesterday, I cant see them doing it. Yes, they have the best group of players we have had for a while but I just cant see them winning it.

Winners - Spain
Runners up - Argentina
Top goalscorer - Torres

How on earth is there no way that Holland will win it? I'd say that on paper, they're certainly semi-finalist material, and they're certainly a stronger outfit than the Ivory Coast in my opinion. Ivory Coaster have 1 or 2 amazing players in an average squad, whereas Holland have a strong line-up with strength in depth. ;)

elmerfudd
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am

I never said Ivory Coast will do better than Holland, I said Ivory Coast are the team to look out for. The last time they won the world cup was back in 1988, they failed to qualify for the 2002 world cup and got knocked out of the 2006 world cup in the first knockout stage to Portugal.

If you look at the past 8 world cups they have failed to get past the quarter final stages.

Spain 1982 - DID NOT QUALIFY
Mexico 1986 - DID NOT QUALIFY
Italy 1990 - Last 16 (1st knockout round)
America 1994 - Quarter Finals - Best result since 1978 final in Argentina, where I should point out they lost
France 1998 - Semi Finals
Korea/Japan 2002 - DID NOT QUALIFY
Germany 2006 - Last 16 (1st Knockout round)

So, yeah, based on the form book, not looking good for Holland, is it.

BSwiss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Ivory Coast are far too poor defensively, Toure has never fully recovered since the 2008 African Cup of Nations and their keepers are shocking. Also they're not in Hollands group, they're with Brazil and Portugal.

Just did a World Cup predictor thingy and came up with this:

Winner: Spain
Runner-up: Argentina
Third Place play off: Holland

England to get knocked out in the semis by Argentina. But some good news, we'll beat the Germans the round before 8)

zs chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 pm

If anyones interested im setting up a TTF Sky Sports fantasy premier league PIN's 28001

[url=http://worldfantasyfootball.skysports.com/Index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://worldfantasyfootball.skysports.com/Index.aspx[/url]

Best thing is theres no cash limit, you can have whatever players you want :D

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm

England's 23 man squad:

1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

#-o

I'd have Walcott over Lennon, Bent over Heskey and Lescott over Warnock. And Gerrard as Captain.