UK theme parks from another point of view!

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

A bit of a random question (about late trains)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:16 pm

This probably isn't the kind of thread we usually see on TTF but I'm wondering something and you guys seem like you might be able to help.

I go to gigs quite frequently and usually Dad picks me up on the way home from work but I feel quite mean making him wait at work from 5 till 11 just so I can go to a gig. I usually get the train there and I was thinking about getting the train home from Manchester Oxford Road to Chester.

My question is with me getting the last train/the second to last train, would I expect any trouble on the train? I don't know if this is some kind of silly, unfound worry but with me being 15, almost 16 I'm just curious if I'd come across any issues from fellow passengers etc on the train?

I understand if these seems like I'm wrapping myself in cotton wool but I don't particularly fancy getting the train home and having some teenagers yelling abuse and asking for a fight the whole way home :lol: I'd probably be travelling with one or two friends which I suppose might provide a little more safety.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice/tips/past experiences which may be of use, I'd much appreciate them :D

Crofty

Re: A bit of a random question (about late trains)

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm not Train connoisseur but to be honest, every late train i've ever caught has been quiet.
I think the train has a funny calming effect and by the time people get to the station after a night on the razz they are usually ready for bed and will normally just fall asleep straight away. It's actually quite funny to watch when sober. :lol:

TheOneWho

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

I regularly get a late train home from work. As a small-ish female it can be a bit daunting, especially if getting the last one, but I have only ever come across trouble once, and that was between a group of guys arguing amongst themselves. That was on the last Saturday before Christmas though, when everyone seems to go a bit crazy.

If you are worried try to find some sober looking people and/or some older people to sit with.

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 pm

You should be fine, it is unlikely that anything would happen that is within your control.

As Crofty said, the late trains tend to be quieter.

That said, stations are a place to find undesirable characters. While not what you're talking about, it is always wise to keep your wits about you, especially if you will be taking out money to buy tickets...you don't know who is watching you.

Nothing to worry about though, of course. Merely common sense that is sometimes misplaced if you're in a good mood after a gig.

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Ah this has been a good relief. I understand the thing about getting money out for tickets, I'd probably buy a return and just keep the ticket in my pocket so I wouldn't have to take out my wallet. I presume I'd be alright walking a mile or so through Manchester at 11ish?

JamieDeath
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:25 pm

I've gotten on a lot of last trains/late trains (by myself always from london) and tbh they usually are quite quiet. Theres always some drunkards on it, but they usually mind their own business and I just suggest putting some headphones in and listening to some music by a window or something so not to be looking to approachable. Also had a prozzy come and sit next to me once before, luckily it was one stop away from where I was getting off so wasn't to bad!
Aha I just read your going with friends, so yeah you should be fine won't look like a weirdo like me as I'm always by myself :P

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Just to make yourself feel a bit more comfortable, maybe sit near to the rear of the train as that is where the guard will be situated so if there is an issue then you can quickly raise assistance, though they should be doing regular walk-throughs anyway.

Last trains from my experience are generally not to bad, just a few drunks, but mostly behaving themselves. I'm more fearful of the walk back to my house from the station after I've got off the train. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Matt.C
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Thank you for the help guys, it's re-assured me a lot, next step will be persuading my parents that it's a feasible option :roll:

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 am

What everyone else has said is great advice :). Another very important piece of advice is to never sit in a carriage on your own - always find others to sit with (I don't mean sit next to and talk, just sit near).

You'll always get a few rowdy people on late-night trains, but it isn't often a problem :).