UK theme parks from another point of view!

Bear

Re: University Choices 2011

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Got an interview at Bath Spa a few weeks after the opening meet... ZOHMYGOODNESS :P

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Offer from Leeds Met, my last choice, but happy nethertheless! Only asked for 180 points (DDD), which is a bit strange.. does that show its a pretty bad uni?

Joelio

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 pm

"Lauren" wrote:
Offer from Leeds Met, my last choice, but happy nethertheless! Only asked for 180 points (DDD), which is a bit strange.. does that show its a pretty bad uni?

Nope, i'm guessing they just need spaces filling due to lack of interest.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Have been to two more interviews recently. Newport on the 26th. I loved it there, it was really nice, the tutor that interviewed me was lovely to. He clearly knew the subject well and we had a good conversation on two of the galleries that were in the Tate Britain last year. I really hope they offer me a place as it will most certainly be my top choice.

Went to Gloucestershire Uni and the Pittville Campus and it was awful. The campus looked like a glorified high school, everything was falling apart, none of the heating was on so it was freezing, graffiti was everywhere, doors were broken... It felt like a prison. For a supposedly 'posh' area I felt like I was in the middle of a council estate. The tutor clearly wasn't interested either in my work, the fact that he told me I should do a diploma and not a degree said it all, he may as well have said: "Well I think you're a thick student so f*ck off" :P So I think I'll be considering that as a rejection. Getting lost coming home didn't help either.

---- Post Info Added ----

University of Gloucestershire: Unsuccessful

Meh, one down, three to go.

fredward

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 pm

After quitting Prouct Design at Staffordshire.

I've applied again at Hertforshire uni for:

3D Games Art
Model Making
& Product Design

I only really want to do Games Art, so might not go uni at all if I don't get in... Not heard back exceppt a random email saying we will ask you for an interview at some point!

I got a student version of 3DS Max and Maya + 4 other expensive programs so i'm getting into professional CAD work... I only hope I can do something with that knowledge...

AstroDan

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I wish everyone all the best. I hope you're all planning on doing something that you'll actually be able to use in the big wide world. The number of friends I have who did unspecific and/or meaningless degrees is shocking!

Good luck all!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

fredward

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:47 pm

thats the reason I quit my last course, I only took it because I thought I would enjoy it and I would get in... but after studying it for a month I didn't see it as an interesting career!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 pm

I think a degree is only useful if you know what you intend on planning to do, or what you may think will be a suitable career for you, like myself I have got my heart set on Medical Photography and for that I need a photography related degree then need to progress to medical school.

Many have told me that Photography is a pointless course, but at least I know where I want to go in life. Most of my friends have chosen degrees and don't know what they will do with it or what career they want to aim for. :roll:

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 pm

"James" wrote:
I think a degree is only useful if you know what you intend on planning to do, or what you may think will be a suitable career for you, like myself I have got my heart set on Medical Photography and for that I need a photography related degree then need to progress to medical school.

Many have told me that Photography is a pointless course, but at least I know where I want to go in life. Most of my friends have chosen degrees and don't know what they will do with it or what career they want to aim for. :roll:

I have to disagree with you there. There is nothing wrong with not knowing what exactly you would like to do after university, it's a very big decision and for a lot of people a very hard one. I am currently studying Geography at the University of Birmingham, and do I know what I would like to do after it? Nope. Do I think the degree I am doing is therefore not useful? Certainly not. I also know a lot of other people that do not yet know what they wish to do after university. I know that with what I am doing I will gain many transferable skills that will prove to be very valuable when it come to looking for a job in the future, whatever that may be.

:)

Mitch
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 pm

"James" wrote:
I think a degree is only useful if you know what you intend on planning to do, or what you may think will be a suitable career for you

That would have probably been the case years ago but nowadays there are a HUGE number of students now going to university and getting a degree, it could be seen that there's now a major disadvantage not to have a degree rather than having a degree being an advantage for a job application. I want to be a pilot, I don't need a degree for that but I know I'll need a job beforehand and I need something to fall back on, so it makes sense to get one.

In other university news, Bristol are being VERY slow at responding. ¬_¬

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 am

Hmm, fair points.

It's seems rather worrying now that so many students set University as a default after 6th Form/College. I went to the Cardiff University Medical Graduation last year and there were easily over 200 graduates in there, yet they will all find out that it's near enough impossible to get a job as a nurse at the moment.

I also question how useful a degree is; well it is useful to get you a job but then is it just a nice word that makes it sound like you know a lot? If I take nursing as an example again, if we rewind back to 30+ years ago if you wanted to become a nurse you would have to learn all the physical aspects of the job in medical school, now as long as you have a degree you could get a job in that field. Nurses these days do learn the physical aspects of the job but know more about the text book stuff. Both my parents have mentored student nurses and they have said they are getting worse as the years go by, my mother told me that before they become qualified they base everything on what they’ve read in textbooks and then are shocked when they face the harsh reality of what you come across working for the NHS.

I think it’s only a matter of time before Masters Degrees become the norm and then PHDs; it seems to be the cycle of education. Getting a job is so hard these days, I do worry if I will get in the job I want when I’m older, competition is so high out there. I suppose as long as you have a degree you will be at a slight advantage to those who have not.

"Mitch" wrote:
In other university news, Bristol are being VERY slow at responding. ¬_¬

Tell me about it, I had an acknowledgement from them in December and had nothing since. I wish they'd hurry up, I want to know if they want to offer me a place or not. :P

AstroDan

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am

University is not for everyone. I did a degree and a PGCE, knowing my path and am now a Primary Teacher. However, I have friends who earn more than I do and for less hours, so a degree isn't a passport to success.

One thing I would say, is that the whole experience - I did a 4 year BA with a year abroad, then the 1 year Postgraduate - was lifechanging and I wouldn't change it for the world!

After all... I would never have found out about Europa-Park had I not lived up the road from it for a year :p

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 am

I'm really looking forward to the university experience. Still contemplating on whether I should commute or not, it's just halls of residence is so expensive. What university did you go to Dan?

AstroDan

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 am

I went to the University of Birmingham, and it was the campus that swayed me when I visited.

:)

fredward

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:05 pm

3 guesses what swayed me when I applied for Staffordshire uni :P

Bear

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:29 pm

"fredward" wrote:
3 guesses what swayed me when I applied for Staffordshire uni :P

Me too... :P

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Eugh, I have a bad feeling that I will get rejected for all of the uni's so I'm looking for a bit of opinion on this.

If I don't get in this year would it be wise for me to take a gap year and then apply for a Foundation Diploma in Photography for September 2012 then after that apply again for a degree?

If I got on for a foundation diploma in Newport University I would be guaranteed a place in the university the following year to move on to a Art & Design degree of my choice.

I know I thinking a bit to far ahead but I'm thinking of a "what if" situation.

---- Post Info Added ----

Eugh, another rejection.. from Glamorgan this time. Tried contacting them but just got a bog standard "unfortunately due to the number of applicants you did not reach out certain requirements” blah blah blah...

It would be nice to find out where I’m going wrong, whether it’s my portfolio, my grades or me. For all I know I may be out of my league applying for university and wasting my time.

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 pm

I think for me, what I found with university choices is that you have to ask yourself one important question, 'Would I enjoy living and studying here for 3 years?'.

This is my second year of studying TV Production at UCLan in Preston and I absolutely love it. Preston is a bit of a hole, but the university is good and some opportunities are beginning to open up for me which is vital as experience is often the most important thing. This week I have been doing some training for the ADI Group. I can go through all this training and still not be rewarded with a job as that is the way their recruitment process works, however, it's still experience.

I visited Southampton and Stafford before UCLan and although Southampton is a big city, the university looked awful and the course sounded terrible so was really put off. Stafford was the opposite, really good course and nice campus, however I could see myself dying of boredom there as it was a bit of a sausage-fest and from what I'd read and heard, there was no nightlife.

When I visited Preston I didn't know what to expect, but I just went for it. The course sounded decent with the resources being good and up to date, though not quite as decent as Stafford, however the campus was really nice, there was plenty to do around the city (though I consider Preston more a big-town), the nightlife sounded good and the university had over 30,000 students. I realised there and then, I could happily live here for 3 years. My mind was made up - done deal. 300 points needed might I add so was nice to achieve that! :p

And to be honest, it's not that important to have a degree for the industry I aim to go into as it's all about experience. However, I wanted to experience university and I don't regret anything - i'll only find that out in 5-10 years time after i've left haha. Thankfully my tutor has good contacts who he often links us to so will hopefully be ok.

My words of advice, if you go to uni, by all means be dedicated to your degree, but don't be that one who makes no effort with their flatmates and are stuck in every day resulting in you wishing you never went. Remember, you only need 40% first year as the marks don't count. You make your university experience yourself.

Good luck, and enjoy.
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

James
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 am

Yes! Conditional offer from Newport. My top choice too. What a nice thing to wake up to. :D

Bear

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Conditional offer from my backup-backup Birmingham City... to tell the truth, I'm not 100% arsed.