UK theme parks from another point of view!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wardley on Design of Colossus - Watch before this Friday!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Teachers TV is a rather awesome online resource bank containing hundreds of free educational programmes for use in schools.

...or at least it was, until the Government cut it's funding :|. It shuts down permanently this Friday, 29th. So, I've spent much of today downloading everything and anything I might use for my teaching. Whilst doing so, I was lucky enough to find this gem, that sadly isn't downloadable, but only streamable. If anyone can download it and let me have a copy, I'd be eternally grateful...

Anyway, it's a 25m Physics GCSE programme about roller coasters, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it stars Mr. Wardley himself. It talks about the whole design process for roller coasters, using Colossus at Thorpe as its main example.

Particularly interesting is that there's a fair bit of talk about how Wardley works with, in this case, Intamin. That's something I've never quite understood, i.e. between Wardley/Holland/etc. and the manufacturer, who does the actual designing?

We also get some nice clips of Colossus being built, we get a look at it's PLCs, and also at some of it's safety features (nothing new to us, but interesting, particularly why the station track is heated).

All in all, I'd very much recommend a watch, but remember, thanks to our stunningly awesome government, it's only available until this Friday 29th April.

GCSEase: Real Science - Roller Coaster, on Teachers TV

As said, if anyone can download this for me, I'd be eternally grateful, as I've tried my usual tricks for grabbing FLVs but they haven't worked.

(Also, if any teachers on here have access to Channel 4's Clip Bank, which sadly I don't, I think it's in there...)
Last edited by Islander on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Re: Wardley on Design of Colossus - Watch before this Friday!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh my, it's moments like this that make me love TTF! Thanks buddy! :D/

Now I'm off to the shops to buy booze, then I shall give this my full attention when I get back!

Adam James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the link Islander - I would have missed it if you didn't post it up! :)
I hope to go to Thorpe for the first time in ten years soon, so the video will give me a hint of what i've been missing since they flooded the place with thrill rides.

At 24 minutes long, it looks like a decent documentary too! :D

Rowe

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Thank you very much for this Islander and it's appreciated greatly for the find. It's a very interesting documentary from what I've seen so far regardless of Thorpe, must admit I did have a bit of a squeal when I noticed the Alpin Express from Saas Fee in Switzerland :D

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Saw you're Twitter post Islander and hopped it was for teachers only :) Pity about the expiry date.

I've watched part of it and had to laugh when they said people don't trust 10 loops but would happily go on a nice woody. The irony :roll:
ImageImage

.Will

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Just finished this. I think JW is very good on it the rest of the programme is less so. Still a cracking find thanks Islander.

:)

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks so much for this link, Mark!
I really hope someone far more technological than me finds a way to rip this off the site, as (Thorpe or not) some of the footage is great, and more Wardley can only be a good thing! :)

Shame about the prominence of a certain head of a certain Rollercoaster Club, but hey ;).

AstroDan

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I hate those general statements

"Every new coaster will be faster, higher and more extreme than what we know today" - oh yeah?

Otherwise, loved it! The girl even said Colossus "hurt a lot".

:D

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 pm

"every hill most be lower than the one before, in order for the coaster to complete the circuit"
:x

Oh, and their numerous statements about Colossus having 10 loops... they're inversions, damnit!

Thanks for sharing anyway Islander, slightly annoyed that I haven't been shown this video at school though. :P

DiogoJ42

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Epic vid Mark! :D

I'd almost forgotten that the original Zodiac was themed. Thorpe actually looked good back then. Ah well, I'm not complaining, after all, we have Stealth now ;)

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks for the link!

What nonsense though! They took Monte Makaya and added two more twists! :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Very interesting, but I don't recall seeing any Colossus construction pics. Does anybody know where any exist?

:)

Russell
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

The program found here will allow you to record it but only the full version -

[url=http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/welcome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/welcome.php[/url]
Since April 2008

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Awesome find Islander, cheers!

Ah, John Wardley and Andy Hine...only one of which answered (and accepted) my request for a brief interview :lol:

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 am

Thanks Islander, I look forward to watching this in a few minutes.

Joelio

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:26 am

"Benedique" wrote:
Thanks Islander, I look forward to watching this in a few minutes.

Thats cool, you should try watching it all Benedique, no need to skip to the "good bits" :P

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:51 am

I have ripped and converted this file. You can download it from here

fredward

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:31 am

That was an awesome video! Thanks a lot Islander!

As said before, John Wardley was the only one I thought was worth listening to! the girl on the ride, seem to not know what she was on about! :lol: she just new about "G's" so kept using that word all the time!

really interesting though, I did not know about the heaters below the station before!

It's also saddening to see how beutifull Thorpe Park looked then...

and now look at it. :(

On an unrelated note, did Inferno used to have a splash down? If you look at 4.36 (I think) I swear I can see a splash from the rear carriage just before the loop.

DiogoJ42

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 am

Inferno used to have a fake splash, a bit like Manta, when it was new. Another titbit you wouldn't know unless you'd seen Inferno in it's opening year, was that all the bark on the ground was once painted with a "lava" pattern in orange and red. Of course, this didn't even last a season before it washed away :roll:

AstroDan

Re: Wardley on Design of Colossus - Watch before this Friday

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 am

The splash in the pool has worked sporadically since. I recall seeing it early last year, but it is never maintained.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk