UK theme parks from another point of view!

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Best Movie Soundstracks

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi,
TBH its a rather quiet night, the wife is working until midnight so fancied some (pointless) geeky discussion!

Just finished watching the Star Wars triology. Love the films to bits, but one of my favourite thing about the films is the excellent sounds tracks throughout the films. I just think they add so much to them....take the celebrations after victory for instance when they are on Endor with the Ewoks, that sounds track (the original) is fantastic!

so my question to you all, what is your favourite movie soundtrack of all time and why?

Badgy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Best Movie Soundstracks

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 pm

I think its fair to say that John Williams has written some of the best movie scores about, including Star Wars, Indianna Jones, Harry Potter, Jurrassic Park and the unforgetable Jaws.

So for pure consistency I would say anything by him, but I do like the soundtrack to The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, it goes so well with the story.

Badgy
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 pm

That is a good one!
But yes i think you are generally correct, John Williams is a bit of a legend that way. If you were to name the top 5 most people would have at least 3 films that he has wrote the soundtrack to in there top 5

captain
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Very tempted to say Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to Gladiator, really incredible.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 pm

One thing I hate about modern films nowadays is ditching proper soundtracks and instead opting for songs. Classics like The Great Escape have their own soundtracks, unlike modern films like Avatar that's soundtrack is a Leona Lewis song. My favourites are probably Jaws or Indiana Jones.

This topic should be in Xcite btw.

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Great topic dude!

I have recently been enjoying "Wall.E" and "The Adjustment Bureau" soundtracks by Thomas Newman he also did American beauty, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Salton Sea (Awesome Val Kilmer movie underrated must see)Finding Nemo and Cinderella Man .. The guy has worked on some of the best modern movies..

Kids classic gem is the movie "Flight of the Navigator" Alan Silvestri music 80's kids fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9sbQYmK5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBN0LF7m ... re=related

Plenty of John Williams and Danny Elfman soundtracks I love too..

If i was to pick a movie with just songs though it would have to be TOP GUN yep obvious I know :crazy:
Watch the opening on a massive screen and huge 5.1 system and it always sends a tingle down my spine.

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:59 am

ah fair enough - fairly new here so unsure of where to psot things!

Should have done a poll really i guess

DiogoJ42

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 am

I've always been partial to the theme from the [original] Batman films. Failing that, anything by John Williams is epic.
Also Terminator. :lol:

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 am

The original Johny English. Robbie Williams Man for all seasons.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm

The Terminator theme is classic. The Matrix trilogy, King Kong (2005) and Jurassic Park soundtracks are also favourites.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

gosling
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

28 Days Later and American Beauty.
~ Good try but not this time ~

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Does this include movie scores?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Donnie Darko and The Asylum's Sherlock Holmes both have fairly good soundtracks (looking beyond the obvious, Jaws, Halloween, 28 Days Later etc...). :P

XIIIDom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Trainspotting (Pulp, Blur, Iggy Pop, and the unforgettable "Underworld" by Born Slippy) without a doubt.

Green Street, epic use of two Stone Roses tracks, but a pretty horrible film overall :D

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:
One thing I hate about modern films nowadays is ditching proper soundtracks and instead opting for songs. Classics like The Great Escape have their own soundtracks, unlike modern films like Avatar that's soundtrack is a Leona Lewis song. My favourites are probably Jaws or Indiana Jones.

This topic should be in Xcite btw.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Songs have been used in Soundtracks for decades - the 'Best Original Song' category has featured at the Academy Awards since 1934! I don't really see anything wrong with that, when it compliments an original score. Avatar, to my memory, had an original score, just had the Leona track running through the end credits. Besides, wasn't it written purely for the film?

There are too many truly great scores to mention, and indeed, some of the finest and most iconic have already surfaced in this thread. One which hasn't, and has probably become one of the most used pieces of music on television in recent years, is the overture from Requiem For A Dream. A fantastic piece of music.

Sunshine also had an amazing and epic score which complimented the atmosphere of the film brilliantly. I can't help but love some of John Carpenter's own creations too. The simple but effective horror piano pieces in Halloween and The Fog are legendary.

Film soundtracks are such an underrated, yet key part of cinema. I mean, imagine 2001: A Space Oddysey if it'd be set to different music. It just wouldn't work.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Blaze

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm

"ponder" wrote:
Film soundtracks are such an underrated, yet key part of cinema. I mean, imagine 2001: A Space Oddysey if it'd be set to different music. It just wouldn't work.

Clearly never watched the final part synced to Echoes by Pink Floyd then. ;)

.Will

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Blues Brothers maybe?

My personal is My Neighbour Totoro there is some fantastic Asian music in that.

:)

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 pm

I really cant stand it when big budget films grab the pop star of the moment and get the to sing some crappy song knowing it will go to no.1 thus promoting the film more. It just does nothing for me. Its kinda selling out

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

How is it selling out if it's already a big budget film? Surely the fact that a film has a $200 million budget already makes it about as commercial as feasibly possible?

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

gosling
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:34 pm

"Selling out" is rather 2001 tbh, lol. I thought everybody was well over that whole thang? ANYWAY!

Another good movie soundtrack is The Nightmare Before Xmas (sorry if someone already said that, must've missed it). And a film called Empire Records.
~ Good try but not this time ~