UK theme parks from another point of view!

Cheese

Camera advice needed

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Evening folks. The 2012 season is of course approaching, and I'm starting to think that it's probably time I got myself a camera. Woodiesosche in particular is something I'd like to record for posterity, seeing as it'll be the first time I've ever been abroad and there'll be plenty to take in.

I've used other people's digital cameras, but never in any more complicated a manner than "Get what you want within the area of the screen, then press this button". Generally they've been cheapish compact cameras, and this has taught me that it's easy to take a horrible blurred photo of nearly anything on one of these if you're not careful, let alone a fast-moving coaster train. It's obvious that you pay for what you get, and the shots of coasters that were taken by the TTF Paparazzi with their SLRs last year are incredible.

Being lacking in both income and knowledge of photography, I wouldn't be able to afford or make use of all the features of an SLR. However, ideally I'd still be looking for something that has a variable shutter speed, as I'd love to be able to take photos where trains vary from looking like a blur along the track to seemingly having stopped for an instant. It'd also be good to be able to record video footage at a decent resolution, preferably HD. Other than that there’s no particular features I know I need. I have no idea what I'll be able to afford before the trip, but I'd prefer not to spend more than £200-250.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It’d be greatly appreciated.

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Camera advice needed

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:14 pm

If you haven't already, do take a look through the Amazon bestsellers in compact cameras. Browsing through there and seeing the differences in cameras should give you an overall gist in what sort of camera body your looking for, but make sure you have a thorough read through the specifications to see what each camera has, and how they compare. I usually do a ton of research on what camera to get.

I've been looking into getting myself a new compact lately, as my current one has really had its day. I don't really use it much, as I use my SLR most of the time, and it only really ever comes out on theme park trips so I've been nosing around for a decent one with the capabilities I need. Theres a camera I've had my eye on for some time now which is the Canon PowerShot SX150.

By the look of it it seems to tick the boxes, with 720p video, full manual mode, a good zoom range and good resolution. I'll probably be buying this seeing how my gap year plans turn out to go theme park interrailing. Of course I don't actually have it so I can't give you my opinion, but it's just what I'm looking at currently. It seems well suited to theme park photography and I believe its what the guy over at roller coaster philosophy uses.

Hope that this helps in someway. :)

oldgitBEN

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:00 am

I recently bought myself a cracking little camera:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004G8Q600

I wanted something that wasnt your standard compact, but Im not bothered with messing about with an SLR and the lenses and how cumbersome the whole process is.

This is somewhere in the middle, you can slap it on Auto - and it will just take what it sees, rather simple.
It does some cracking and VERY simple panorama pictures, you take the first picture then as you move the camera it will position the next for you.
I think it has variable shutter speeds, but ive not played with that stuff yet.
It has taken some wonderful photos for me already though, just under the 'scene' settings where you can pic what activity you are upto (ie, outisde, portraits, party, winter, fireworks) and its great.
The other 2 features I do love are the facial recognition that it does so well - and can even pause while someone blinks to ensure you get a good picture.
The last is the multiframe photos, if you are watching something moving - eg sports, animals, children, coasters it takes a series of pictures over different frames and saves them all so you can wait and decide which is the better one.

For just over a hundred quid its proved itself to be really good value to me, and has surpassed my needs already. If you arent sure what you level of camera you want I am happy to suggest this one.

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 am

So I am just wondering if you got yourself a new camera and what you went for?

I am thinking of getting a new camera but not sure what to go for. I have been shown some nice compact slr cameras. :D

I would really like to get a new one before I go to Poland in may.

gazag

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

i was in the same dilema befor christmas wanting a new camera and i brought the samsung MV800 which i got for £200 including a 4gb memory card and an extra battery

the pictures are clear and sharp, its got 5x optical zoom, a large touch screen and can take panaramic photos, 3D photos aswell as a whole range of other things you can do with it

its a cracking camera and really has impressed me and im glad i choose it

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:37 pm

I really want something that I can control the exposure and shutter so I can do night shots and stuff like that.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/olympus-e- ... i&istBid=t

This looks nice. Just need to do more research!

gazag

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:43 pm

those micro SLR cameras really just defete the object of having a smaller camera. really its a small camera with a huge lens

Cheese

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I did indeed buy a camera Jem. I went for the Canon Powershot SX150 Jonny suggested after visiting my local Jessops to have a look at one and discuss what I needed. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, though a mixture of the limited use I've given it and my inexperience means I'm yet to put it to the test properly.

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I have just been reading the reviews of that camera it looks good.

I know getting the compact SLR is a little pointless but I would like something that has the image quality of an SLR but also is a little easier to use and cheaper to buy!