UK theme parks from another point of view!

What's your favourite Tube Line?

Bakerloo
1 (7%)
Central
1 (7%)
Circle
2 (13%)
District
1 (7%)
Hammersmith And City
No votes
Jubilee
4 (27%)
Metropolitan
No votes
Northern
3 (20%)
Piccadilly
1 (7%)
Victoria
1 (7%)
Waterloo And City
1 (7%)

Total votes: 15

SpinballEdders

London Underground Disccusion

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:32 pm

So earlier today, me and forumla1fan were discussing about London Underground (AKA The Tube). He Had bought up the subject after a Bakerloo line Tunnel had apparently collapsed. We then discussed about the possible future extensions; Such as the Northern to Battersea, Chelney Line, Bakerloo to Camberwell and Beyond, Croxley rail link and The Victoria to Herne Hill.

This Thread just discusses about The Tube in General, such as the Trains, Stations, Events, Location of Stations ETC

As a Londoner, I quite like the Tube, it's got a lot of Historical value to it (Like The Metropolitan line) and More Modern day design (Jubilee Extension).

What do you think of The Tube? 

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

London Underground Disccusion

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Mornington Crescent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

DiogoJ42

Re: London Underground Disccusion

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Being a fellow Londoner, I also love the Tube. It always ammuses me when northerner fear it. "I don't like the idea of being trapped underground" is a common explanation. What they fail to realise, is that most of the time, underground is the safest place to be! The Tube saved us from German bombs during the blitz, don't forget ;)

OK, so it's dirty, hot, overcrowded, and it rarely works. But without the Tube, London would grind to a halt. Long Live teh tunnelz!

SpinballEdders

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
OK, so it's dirty, hot, overcrowded, and it rarely works. But without the Tube, London would grind to a halt. Long Live teh tunnelz!

Correction Diogo. North, East and West London would grind to a halt without the Tube. South London Would continue because the Tube hardly exists there! :P

Dormiens-Dave

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:57 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
It always ammuses me when northerner fear it.

And being a northerner it always amuses me that Londoners think we spend so much time considering their transport arrangement.

Speaking as one of those backward northern folk i love the tube, sure it means i have to be up-close and personal with a load of southern pansies but that's the price you pay for ease of movement.

Sorry

:D

formula1fan

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm

The Tube is frankly amazing. I've used it virtually every time I've been to London, and it has never been much of a problem for me. Apart from some overcrowding on the platforms during rush hour, but that's to be expected. :P

With regard to today's earlier incident, this is what apparently caused the problems on the Bakerloo line. There is quite a bit of a bulge in the tunnel, which apparently caused the obstruction that people thought was a tunnel collapse. Hopefully, it won't take too long to fix, but service is still suspended between Piccadilly Circus and Elephant & Castle.

Its future looks good, too, with the upgrade plans seemingly progressing well, and the brilliant new S Stock on the Metropolitan line. It's truly a great feat of engineering - even if most of the Tube network isn't actually underground. :lol:

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
Being a fellow Londoner, I also love the Tube. It always ammuses me when northerner fear it.

I guess I'm not your average Northerner then. :).  I love travelling on the Tube.
I have no fear. :))
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 pm

I like using the tube as its far easier to work out than the buses.

But this sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymKurTBdhw

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 pm

You definitely don't wanna go down in the tube station at midnight though, (wooah wooah wooah wooah)  :oops:

BSwiss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 am

I'm a northerner who uses the tube a couple of times a year and find it easy and relatively stress-free but I find the over-reliance of it means I have no clue about London outside of the Tube.

I don't know where where boroughs are in relation to each other. It's like a jigsaw where I have started the corners and worked outwards from there and don't have a clue how to continue therein. It's left the overwhelming feeling I have of London intact.

Only had one truly bad experience on it where two lines (Piccadilly and Northern I think) were down at the same time so me and my friends (no cockneys amongst us) had to navigate the long way round. I became an impromptu tour guide for a bunch of Scots and holidaying Spaniards with little to no knowledge of the place. Pretty embarrassing afternoon.

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh, what?

That was from the movie Creep where a woman misses her last train and gets stuck in the Underground with that thing after her!

Crap movie, but an interesting concept.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

I love the tube. I'm not from the south but it's an extremely simple system (apart last Saturday when every single ticket wouldn't register at the gates and many people had to go and ask for assistance :P ) and find it hard to believe that people can find it difficult to use. :lol:

I watched the documentary on the Tube that was on a few weeks back which was great. A few too many "one under's", but other than that, it was a very good series.

:)
Last edited by BigAl on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cariba
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Talking of the Bakerloo; driver-less trains

But lets be honest, the DLR is where its at ;)

oldgitBEN

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 pm

also a northerer who isnt amazed or scared of the tube.

Having used the metro in Paris and the subway in Barcelona I'd say that Londons is the least impressive, and I think the most expensive for the worst service.

I dislike the london undergound, mainly because its public transport and abit awful. Also I realised that quite often its only a nice little walk to get around, which on nice days is much more enjoyable.

SpinballEdders

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Cariba wrote:
Talking of the Bakerloo; driver-less trains

But lets be honest, the DLR is where its at ;)

Nice find there, Cariba. I reckon that will be part of the Extension (If that gets built as well)

But yes, the DLR is quite awesome :P

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 pm

oldgitBEN wrote:
also a northerer who isnt amazed or scared of the tube.

Having used the metro in Paris and the subway in Barcelona I'd say that Londons is the least impressive, and I think the most expensive for the worst service.

I dislike the london undergound, mainly because its public transport and abit awful. Also I realised that quite often its only a nice little walk to get around, which on nice days is much more enjoyable.

The Barcelona tube is absolutely amazing. Considering it's a far smaller city than London, it's tube system is probably the best I've ever seen - ridiculously clean, modern looking, quiet, efficient and regular.

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 am

I'll join the list of Northeners who aren't daunted by the tube, I think it's great although it's not as much fun when it's heaving busy. I've started coming down to London do some odd bits of work although I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if all I was doing was the rush hour commute every day.

I did go slightly out of my way the other month to get a ride on the new S stock on the Metropolitan line, I fully approve!

SpinballEdders

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:36 pm

I travelled on the A Stock on the Metropolitan line today because the trains were going soon. I love these trains, sure the S stock is new, clean and modern. But the A stock has a lot of charm to it, It feels relaxing on a long journey because of the lack of automated announcements on the trains, the start up noise is brilliant. It does feel very bumpy travelling between Finchley Road and Wembley Park, where as the S Stock is smooth throughout the whole line (You could say that riding the A Stock is like riding a Arrow coaster and riding the S Stock is like riding a B&M). Although I think the S Stock is great for journeys between Baker Street and Uxbridge/Watford/Chesham/Amersham. I prefer the A Stock between Baker Street and Aldgate.

The A stock also operated on the East London Line until 2007, This was awesome! I used to travel most days on the A Stock between New Cross/New Cross Gate and Whitechapel, That was brilliant. shame it's been converted to London Overground though :(

It will be a sad day when these brilliant trains will go.
Last edited by SpinballEdders on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraphicallyAmazing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 pm

I've had to get the tube during rush hour in the morning and evening - Not fun! The circle doesn't always run in the morning, so I had to get Central/Victoria which was absolutely packed! I also went out my way to get on the Metropolitan line!

However, when I'm in London for fun days out, then I love getting different lines and going to different stations. Just not too late after a show because the central line gets, well... interesting (Just don't stay on past Stratford!)

I'm a southerner, Essex, so go London quite regularly.

LJ

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:37 pm

The Tube map helped me and my older brother read and speak properly after we were diagnosed with a learning disability. The staff at Dagenham Heathway helped me and my older brother through basic English in a fun way as I was only 4 at the time.  And I was in the Metro for it.  :D

As well my brothers are huge underground fanatics still to this day. And one of them is almost 18. So far, I have not been on the Waterloo-Bank Line (I forgot the name) and Bakerloo (I get around a lot).

Then I moved to Essex and the c2c is a lot less fun then the Underground