UK theme parks from another point of view!

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

hornby train set help

Sun May 06, 2012 4:47 pm

hi im thinking of getting a rail set can you please give me tips pics an ideas
                    kind regards coastermaster

Poison Tom 96

Re: hornby train set help

Mon May 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Ebay. :D

SpinballEdders

Mon May 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I would recommend getting a cheap  set to start you off:

Here some good sets you can buy are:

The Devon Flyer

Or

Goods Master Freight Train

You can also buy Accessories for your layout here

Hope this helps

:)

Cheese

Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

What's your eventual aim? Do you plan on building a model railway layout, or are you looking for something to get out and use every now and again? Although it's sold in readily available train sets in places like catalogue and toy shops, model railway equipment has to be treated very carefully and isn't at all suited to being laid out on a floor.

Bear in mind that even in OO scale a reasonably sized layout takes up quite a bit of space. It's also going to take quite a while to build; it's certainly not something you can neccessarily get up and running quickly. Track, scenic materials and rolling stock are also very expensive. These two factors are often the main reasons for people losing interest in taking their train set further.

If you do decide it's for you however it's a great hobby. I don't have my own layout yet, but I have various plans in mind to build one, and as a member of a local model railway club I regularly run my engines and rolling stock on the club layout. It may be a good idea to see if there's one near you that can offer advice and support for building a layout.

Don't be too ambitious with your initial plans. It's usually best to start off with something relatively small that you can expand. Additionally I'd recommend that you build in stages, adding main running lines first before laying a vast expanse of sidings for example. This ensures that even when the layout is only partially built you can have a running session. Often seeing trains moving can be great inspiration when you've been putting in a lot of work and still think you have plenty left to do to get it 'finished'. (It's often said that a model railway layout is never finished, as there's always something you can add!)

Some railway modellers will aim to represent a real-life location as it was in a specific time period, while others just enjoy watching trains running. If you decide to go for the former option then it really helps if you have an interest in real trains, as you then know what sort of period and rolling stock you like and can generally research it more easily. On the other hand there's nothing to stop you running whatever takes your fancy. after all, it's your layout!

Let me know if there's anything I can give some guidance on, though due to my aforementioned procrastination on model railway construction I can't guarantee that it'll be backed up by practical experience.

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm

SpinballEdders wrote:
I would recommend getting a cheap  set to start you off:

Here some good sets you can buy are:

The Devon Flyer

Or

Goods Master Freight Train

You can also buy Accessories for your layout here

Hope this helps

:)

Bachman are good once you start getting used to the starter kit :) THen you can go from multiple unit trains to locomotives

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 7:29 pm

i want to have a mini town sad i know

DiogoJ42

Sat May 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't have a "proper" model railway, but I do have a Lego one. I would recomend reading Model Rail magazine as a great place to get inspiration and tips.

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

thanks

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I've always been surprised that Hornby don't see the marketing potential of a rollercoaster train set.  Runaway Mine Train?  Toot Toot. :lol:

DiogoJ42

Sat May 12, 2012 11:39 pm

barryzola

Sat May 12, 2012 11:56 pm

This is something I'd like to get involved with one day. I'd like to do it when I have my own place someday though so I can dedicate a good space to it over a long period of time.

As it's relevant to this site in particular, see the page on my website dedicated to the former Alton Towers model railway : )            http://www.altontowersmemories.net/page13.htm

Good luck with it if you do decide to go ahead with it. As a bit of trivia, I once read that Rod Stewart has a nice layout that has been featured in various magazines etc. There are a lot worse things to do with your time. Enjoy : )

DiogoJ42

Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 am

Surely you mean Pete Waterman?

barryzola

Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 am

Na, really, Rod Stewart : ) Heard it on the radio some years back. It was featured in a modeller magazine apparently. Might be worth a google.

Edit - Here's one link (among many) :  http://mrr.trains.com/en/Press%20Room/P ... roads.aspx
Last edited by barryzola on Sun May 13, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 am

Well I never.

blackholes crow
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 pm

welcome to my life!!!!
question 1 chose a system dcc or analog mines dcc its better as all you need is power to all the track where as analog you need to isolate parts of the track if you want two train opperation on the same line

question 2 do you want a train set or a layout the differance a train set is a circle or ovel that is not secured to a base and a layout is secured

question 3 where to buy? most of my track is off ebay where as the points are from a local modelshop so i know they work where as on ebay there usley broken or damaged after being ripped up from another layout [a
usefull site]
www.gaugemaster.com this is one of the cheepest sites i know

question 4 gauge eather 3gauge,z gauge,n gauge,00 gauge etc... theres hundreds of them [no kidding!!!!!]
most of my track is 00 also ive got h0e narrow gauge to everyone else ie 00 gauge on n gauge track!!!

question 5 place where to put it spere room,shed,loft you get the idear lol!!!! any more info plz pm me
''holy crap lead wasps''. ''keep low and keep your eyes peeled boys were goin in guns blazing''
''ON THE FLOOR NOW''.''STAY DOWN OR ELSE''.

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:10 pm

so my model is getting the go ahead im gonna do oo gauge as the skaledale fits it luckily my granddad works on the markets an hes been getting hornby stuff super cheap

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Today was the best day of my life my grandad when an bought me gwr Pullman digital set so happy going to build my layout soon pics soon

BigHairJoe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Good to hear it's gonna happen. Just a thought try and go to a preserved railway or two with a camera to take photos of what sort of things you like and how they look on station sites. May I suggest going to the Churnet Valley Railway It is less than 25 min drive away from Alton Towers and mainly because I volunteer there. Consall station (where I am usually based) is hoping to gain a model railway in the coach that is currently being restored by a group of us. :) good luck with your railway !!

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35 pm

This might be sad to some but I think this is most boys dream, I'd love to be able to convince the mrs to let me convert the loft.
I look forward to the pics but take your time and think about the layout etc.
I WILL be back

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm

i think im just going have a mix of every thing not just one certain area