UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 80
Joined: June 2012
Location: Skynet

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Sam wrote:
Wow guys! I'm getting a steady trickle of PMs every day asking for banners, keep them coming! :D

I'm thinking of how to move our efforts up a gear.

The MP for Alton Towers is a Conservative who entered parliament at the last election, Karen Bradley.

According to the Coalition for Equal Marriage's list, she has not indicated either way whether she will vote for or against equal marriage. This is probably because she's undecided yet.

My idea: we gather as many names as possible for a TTF petition, and e-mail it to her, under the banner of "Alton Towers Fans for Equality!" or something like that. It'd be awesome to send a message to her showing that as a community, we support LGBT rights! Thoughts? :)



Unless you are a resident of her constituency Sam I find it inappropriate to lobby her.
MP's are supposed to represent there constitutes views not there own or visitors.
I WILL be back
 
Simon

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm

The Terminator wrote:
Unless you are a resident of her constituency Sam I find it inappropriate to lobby her.
MP's are supposed to represent there constitutes views not there own or visitors.


What, you take personal issue with it?  :?

I personally find nothing whatever untoward in sending correspondence to any person holding public office that I'm paying for. The fact that she's a member of a governing party makes her even more fair game. The fact that she's a member of a party that has a pretty bleak record on gay rights doubly so, and the fact she represents a consituency that has a high number of visitors that put money into the local economy can only compound it.

Frankly, what does what you find appropriate matter in this case? Does it affect you in any way?

Oh and Sam: I can haz rainbow? Done consultation yonks ago.
Last edited by Simon on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 80
Joined: June 2012
Location: Skynet

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:11 am

No you don't pay for her unless you live in her constituency which I do.
If you do then I have no problem you lobbying her but I if you don't then lobby your own MP that you do pay for, it may help your case  more.
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.
I WILL be back
 
Simon

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm sorry, but I can only repeat my assertion that it's got bog all to do with you who I send letters to.

Anyway, we all pay for parliament, and parliament pays MPs, so in reality, I pay as much for your MP as you do, and vice-versa.

And a fine situation we're in when a government has got other priorities than equality.  Furthermore, do you propose that anything that you consider non-essential is not discussed by parliament? This being the case, we'll all be paying MPs an awful lot to do an awful little.
Last edited by Simon on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1375
Joined: September 2005
Location: the moon

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

As a Gay man i'm 100% behind this!

Banner Please :D
 
AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 356
Joined: March 2010

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 pm

The Terminator wrote:
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.


I'm sorry, but what a stupid thing to say. If politics really took that view, we wouldn't advance as a society. We wouldn't have equal pay for women, equal rights for non-whites or any sort of equality.
Image
 
User avatar
The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 80
Joined: June 2012
Location: Skynet

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Simon wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can only repeat my assertion that it's got bog all to do with you who I send letters to.

Anyway, we all pay for parliament, and parliament pays MPs, so in reality, I pay as much for your MP as you do, and vice-versa.

And a fine situation we're in when a government has got other priorities than equality.  Furthermore, do you propose that anything that you consider non-essential is not discussed by parliament? This being the case, we'll all be paying MPs an awful lot to do an awful little.


Your right you can send letters to anyone you wish, but you may have more luck with your own MP.
As for very little to do how about syria, the euro about to implode, another credit crunch about to happen, creating jobs in the private sector, getting to grip with UK debt, war in Afghanistan, sorting out public pensions which will cripple this country in 30 years, trying to restore growth to the economy, the yobs, the gangs, etc etc I can go on.
All more important than the term marriage. There is already civil partnerships so I can't see what the fuss is about to be honest.
AshleeK wrote:
The Terminator wrote:
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.


I'm sorry, but what a stupid thing to say. If politics really took that view, we wouldn't advance as a society. We wouldn't have equal pay for women, equal rights for non-whites or any sort of equality.


And my comment was stupid, do you really think women have equal pay, really , and black people feel they are treated the same as white.
You don't live in the same world as I do then, this country is about to be up the creek and all you care about is the right for a civil partnership to be called marriage. Gays already have equal rights, it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation so job done really.
I WILL be back
 
User avatar
ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: May 2012
Location: The valley

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm

The Terminator- I don't see how gays have equal rights on the marriage front. So using the words "Job done" is quite inappropriate. Also, just because in your view women and black people don't have the same rights as the rest of us dosn't jussticy giving the same attatude towards the homosexual community. Don't you think seeing the lack of inequality from your point of view give a clearer view from a homosexual point of view? I'm not undermining you as a person, just giving you food for thought.

I agree that britian has a lot to sort out economically. But it dosn't mean that domestic civil issues should be ignored. The Con/lib goverment are passing through new lesilation to make "forced marrage" a crinimal offence. If issues regarding inequality are not adressed and acted on, we will have much more problems to deal with than what we have now!
Last edited by ImURNemesis on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 pm

The Terminator wrote:
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.


There are a lot of people in government, constantly working on hundreds of different policies, many which are much 'less important' than this. Unlike nearly all other policies, legalising gay marriage wouldn't cost the government anything at all (in fact local councils would make money from all the new people paying through the nose for a wedding venue). Since there's absolutely no practical basis to your argument, the only logical conclusion can be that it's driven by homophobia. There's no rational reason to be against this unless you're a homophobe.

The Terminator wrote:
Unless you are a resident of her constituency Sam I find it inappropriate to lobby her.
MP's are supposed to represent there constitutes views not there own or visitors.


Actually I was unsure about the idea before but your bigotry has made me determined to go through with the plans to send our equality petition, thanks.

Sent out the new banners. :)
 
User avatar
Meat Pie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 313
Joined: June 2009
Location: Kent, UK

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 pm

The Terminator - The problem is the politicians always claim that there are 'more pressing issues' to avoid legislation they don't want to implement and thus it never gets done.

Issues effecting minority groups would never be sorted if we only prioritized issues which effect the majority, and I don't think that's a place anyone wants to be in, except someone who hates minorities.
Image
Image
AKA the vocal minority.
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 pm

You might hate us, but LGBT people are absolutely full of love for everyone, even those who feel the need to campaign against our basic human rights.

With that in mind, I've taken the time to craft you this beautiful banner. When you're ready to accept love and acceptance over fear and hatred, I'll be delighted to see it adorn your signature with pride. :)

Image
 
AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 356
Joined: March 2010

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 pm

The Terminator wrote:
And my comment was stupid, do you really think women have equal pay, really , and black people feel they are treated the same as white.


Put it this way: at work, I earn the same amount as my male colleagues. In the past, that wouldn't even be a possibility. I know there is still discrimination within our society against many that aren't white, straight cisgender males, but things have certainly improved, and it's thanks to people that fight for equality that we have these rights. As a transwoman, I know full well how important the fight for rights, no matter how small, really is. Ten years ago it would be legal for a company to fire me, or refuse to hire me, because of my gender identity. Not so anymore. And whilst the Gender Identity Act was being debated, the country still had other things going on, like the Iraq war. Point is, there's always time to fight for equality within Parliament.

You don't live in the same world as I do then, this country is about to be up the creek and all you care about is the right for a civil partnership to be called marriage.


Same sex marriage is not all I care about. I care about a great deal of subjects: jobs, education, funding for public services, the NHS and so on. I'm certainly not going to sideline something I support, that may or may not even affect me in the future, just because there are other issues at hand.

Gays already have equal rights, it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation so job done really.


So that's it? Gay people should just be happy that it's now against the law to discriminate based on sexual orientations? I disagree - nothing short of full equality is acceptable.
Image
 
Blaze

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:51 pm

The Terminator wrote:
Simon wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can only repeat my assertion that it's got bog all to do with you who I send letters to.

Anyway, we all pay for parliament, and parliament pays MPs, so in reality, I pay as much for your MP as you do, and vice-versa.

And a fine situation we're in when a government has got other priorities than equality.  Furthermore, do you propose that anything that you consider non-essential is not discussed by parliament? This being the case, we'll all be paying MPs an awful lot to do an awful little.


Your right you can send letters to anyone you wish, but you may have more luck with your own MP.
As for very little to do how about syria, the euro about to implode, another credit crunch about to happen, creating jobs in the private sector, getting to grip with UK debt, war in Afghanistan, sorting out public pensions which will cripple this country in 30 years, trying to restore growth to the economy, the yobs, the gangs, etc etc I can go on.
All more important than the term marriage. There is already civil partnerships so I can't see what the fuss is about to be honest.
AshleeK wrote:
The Terminator wrote:
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.


I'm sorry, but what a stupid thing to say. If politics really took that view, we wouldn't advance as a society. We wouldn't have equal pay for women, equal rights for non-whites or any sort of equality.


And my comment was stupid, do you really think women have equal pay, really , and black people feel they are treated the same as white.
You don't live in the same world as I do then, this country is about to be up the creek and all you care about is the right for a civil partnership to be called marriage. Gays already have equal rights, it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation so job done really.


What the hell did I just read?

AshleeK wrote:
nothing short of full equality is acceptable.

Spot on.
 
User avatar
ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: May 2012
Location: The valley

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Sam wrote:
The Terminator wrote:
My personal view is there other priorities for the government to worry about at the moment.


There are a lot of people in government, constantly working on hundreds of different policies, many which are much 'less important' than this. Unlike nearly all other policies, legalising gay marriage wouldn't cost the government anything at all (in fact local councils would make money from all the new people paying through the nose for a wedding venue). Since there's absolutely no practical basis to your argument, the only logical conclusion can be that it's driven by homophobia. There's no rational reason to be against this unless you're a homophobe.

The Terminator wrote:
Unless you are a resident of her constituency Sam I find it inappropriate to lobby her.
MP's are supposed to represent there constitutes views not there own or visitors.


Actually I was unsure about the idea before but your bigotry has made me determined to go through with the plans to send our equality petition, thanks.

Sent out the new banners. :)


Oh..that reminds me, can I have a banner? I did all the stuff, but forgot to send you a link of completion. Sorry about this!
Image
 
User avatar
The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 80
Joined: June 2012
Location: Skynet

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Sam, oh dear oh dear me I think you may have gotten the wrong one here son.
The trouble is as soon as somebody even slightly disagrees with your argument you label them homophobic, this is the same as labelling somebody who disagrees with immigration a racist it's not true.
I have not disagreed with you at any point about your cause all I have done is disagreed with your methods.
My cousin is gay and so is one of my friends and both of them have said now is not the time to fight for this as it risks putting the fight back 10 years because now is a time of austerity.
You see with age comes wisdom which one day you will begin to realise, don't go around calling people on public forums homophobic when you don't know who they are, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
I applaude you in you fight and who knows it might work but it is a big scary world out there and there will not be equality for my life time at least. And I don't just meen for gays.

Meatball and Blaze jog on as there is another bandwagon about to pass.
I WILL be back
 
User avatar
ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: May 2012
Location: The valley

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:54 pm

The Terminator wrote:
Sam, oh dear oh dear me I think you may have gotten the wrong one here son.
The trouble is as soon as somebody even slightly disagrees with your argument you label them homophobic, this is the same as labelling somebody who disagrees with immigration a racist it's not true.
I have not disagreed with you at any point about your cause all I have done is disagreed with your methods.
My cousin is gay and so is one of my friends and both of them have said now is not the time to fight for this as it risks putting the fight back 10 years because now is a time of austerity.
You see with age comes wisdom which one day you will begin to realise, don't go around calling people on public forums homophobic when you don't know who they are, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
I applaude you in you fight and who knows it might work but it is a big scary world out there and there will not be equality for my life time at least. And I don't just meen for gays.

Meatball and Blaze jog on as there is another bandwagon about to pass.


That's quite a patronising thing to post "It's a big scary world out there". Its anougher way of condoning prejudice and discrimination. If anyone who should be careful of what to post online, thst is you. If you arguing with us recarding same-sex marriage without much of a good argument to back up your points then I don't really blame them for suggesting you're homophobic.
Last edited by ImURNemesis on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 pm

The Terminator wrote:
The trouble is as soon as somebody even slightly disagrees with your argument you label them homophobic, this is the same as labelling somebody who disagrees with immigration a racist it's not true.


Immigration is a vastly more complicated issue and completely incomparable. The subject has a huge number of economic and social factors to take into account that gay rights do not. Gay rights is a very black and white issue. If you support LGBT human rights then great, if you are against them, you're a homophobe. It's pretty much what the word means.

The Terminator wrote:
My cousin is gay and so is one of my friends and both of them have said now is not the time to fight for this as it risks putting the fight back 10 years because now is a time of austerity.


"Some of my best friends are black!" Well I'm glad we're looking to such morally authoritative sources as your cousin and your friend, whose words are brought to us by you. No offence, but I don't really trust you to bring us their views on this issue impartially. How is the time of austerity got anything to do with this?! As I already detailed in my previous post, the introduction of gay marriage will effectively cost the government nothing, so with all due respect, I think we can discount the baffling 'austerity' argument entirely from the debate.

The Terminator wrote:
You see with age comes wisdom which one day you will begin to realise, don't go around calling people on public forums homophobic when you don't know who they are, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
I applaude you in you fight and who knows it might work but it is a big scary world out there and there will not be equality for my life time at least. And I don't just meen for gays.


Are you threatening me? A "lot of trouble"? Am I going to wake up next to a horse head in my bed tomorrow morning? I don't really care about your intimidation because you're a homophobe, as you've already proven, and I am perfectly happy to correctly apply that label to you again. "there will not be equality for my life time at least"? Yeah, because of people like you!  :roll:
 
User avatar
Meat Pie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 313
Joined: June 2009
Location: Kent, UK

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 am

The Terminator wrote:
Meatball and Blaze jog on as there is another bandwagon about to pass.


:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Meatball? Ooohh... My feelings are so hurt.  :P

As for bandwagonism... I think you'll find that I've argued for a minority position on a number of issues in the forum, so you are talking out of your posterior. You are as ill-researched on this matter as you are on gay rights.
Image
Image
AKA the vocal minority.
 
User avatar
garyh
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 220
Joined: January 2007
Location: Cardiff

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 am

Sam, calm down, count to 10!!!!    You are beginning to sound like that guy off Little Britain who calls everyone a homophobe lol!

I believe all this started because people are argueing there are better things to deal with in the country at the moment than this, correct?

I can see that point, - BUT, as it has already been stated, there are lots of people in Government, and different people to take on different roles.  Bit like the Police force, people moan they are always out on the streets catching speeders, well, there are other officers dealing with street crime, murders, break-in's etc. and the same in government, one moron deals with blowing countries up, one deals with robbing us of more taxes and another moron deals with other stuff such as buying duck houses on expenses.  (Moron = MP)

So there are plenty of people in Government who can take this forward.  And all the other important stuff going on in the UK can also be taken forward too (like the 3p rise on fuel duty, but dont get me started on that one).  As Sam stated, if this did go ahead, it wouldnt really have any cost implications.

I'm not going to be drawn in on the whole equal marriage thing, I havent read any of it, dont understand the changes being proposed, glad that people can have civil partnerships, and dont really care as long as everyone is happy  :)
 
User avatar
James
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3188
Joined: January 2009
Location: Newport, Wales
Contact:

Re: TTF sex scandal!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 am

Keep the discussion in an adult manner please guys.

There are one or two comments that are rather rude towards other members - and off topic ones too.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests