UK theme parks from another point of view!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What Rides Freak You Out?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 am

Ok so I've been thinking this morning about certain rides I've been on which literally scare the crap outta me, even as a 26 year old male!

I wanted to share a few of my thoughts and more importantly find out if I'm not the only fully grown adult who still shuts his eyes and holds on for dear life when coming face to face with a giant spider!

I've added a few examples below of rides over the years which have literally made my pants turn from white to dark brown-

1. The Haunted House, Alton Towers-
This is my first memory of anything scaring me so bad I had my head between my legs the whole time! I seem to recall the brick wall looking like it was going to fall on you, going round a corner and some giant demon like monster jumping out from above? That was it for me, eyes shut, head down the rest of the way round! Thank god for Duel, now I can keep my eyes open for at least 75% of the time!

2. Terror Tomb, Chessington- Again from an early age, when this first opened I loved it! Reminded me of Indiana Jones. However, the one gripe I had was that wolf like creature rattling the s**t out of a cage to the right of you. Caught me completely off guard and safe to say I never looked in that direction again!

3. Creepy Castle Spookslot, Efteling- For the simple fact that I was very young, dragged on by my parents and you have to walk through the whole thing. It was bloody horrible!

4. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, I.O.A- Now this is the most recent, May 2012 to be exact. I honestly thought me being a pansy was in the past, however this ride soon changed that. How in the hell can this be marketed to kids? Sweet Jesus, the face to face encounter with a full size dragon shocked me a tad, but the face to face meeting with Aragog really freaked me out. So much so that I timed it just right each time I went on to shut my eyes for the whole 'spider scene' of the ride. Dementors? Womping Willow? Dragon? How could any child come off this without mental scar's!

So, if anyone else would like to share there thoughts on other rides which scare the hell outta them, feel free to comment!
Last edited by sweedish2009 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What ride's freak you out?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 am

The Haunted House really did the first time I rode on it, must have been 7. I am still not over being encompassed by those portraits. I wanted to leave the que !
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 am

It may sound strange but I used to hate the 'smell' of the ride queue. That old smokey smell. Used to freak me out!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:19 pm

I can cope with any dark ride. Usually I get frustrated by all the emergency signs throughout...but just looking at a ferris wheel sends shudders down my spine, manifested by a bad experience as a child.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Get me on rollercoasters fine not a problem, the bigger the bteer..... get me near a ferris wheel or cable car and it isnt going to happen 8-[

Also been on Apolcalypse at Drayton Manor for years but an experience where the harness popped on my previous partner where me and my mate held her harness down (when a harness goes from being really tight to the next notch)

As sson as we dropped the tech team sealed our section off straight away for maintenance..... since that incident about 7 years ago ive never gone back on it.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 am

Eurofighters petrify me. Though my coaster experience is extensive, those lifts always get me for some unknown reason...
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 am

I'm pretty good with the majority of flat rides and coasters but there have been a couple of exceptions - the Air Diver that until fairly recently was on the end of Brighton Pier.  Every time I went on it I got nervous because of its position and how it went over the sea, however once the actual ride begun, I was fine :)

The other was KMG's Mission Space - I'd heard all about it beforehand and knew it was a crazy ride but seeing it up close was another matter entirely!  I experienced similar anxious feelings prior to riding it, but again once it started, I began to enjoy it and it was really good :)

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:45 am

The Grand National at Blackpool. Will my back still be straight/functioning by the end?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Nemesis Sub-Terra (don't laugh). I really don't like dark, confined spaces at the best of times, and the strobe lighting just adds to the tense atmosphere.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 am

See I've not been back to Alton since 2011 so I've not had the pleasure of experiencing Sub Terra yet, I'm holding out for a weekend next year once SW7 is open.

I get the impression I will not enjoy Sub Terra, being a massive pansey.

Oh and the fact that when I first went to Florida (aged about 8) I freaked out and didn't go on Alien Encounter. For very good reasons! I saw kids coming off that ride shaking like a s**ting dog!  :shock:

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

sweedish2009 wrote:
4. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, I.O.A- Now this is the most recent, May 2012 to be exact. I honestly thought me being a pansy was in the past, however this ride soon changed that. How in the hell can this be marketed to kids? Sweet Jesus, the face to face encounter with a full size dragon shocked me a tad, but the face to face meeting with Aragog really freaked me out. So much so that I timed it just right each time I went on to shut my eyes for the whole 'spider scene' of the ride. Dementors? Womping Willow? Dragon? How could any child come off this without mental scar's!

My 10 year old sister was fine after the Harry Potter ride :)

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:32 am

Your 10 year old sister must have much bigger testicles than me then!  :|

Thriller
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Plane Crazy at Oakwood left me green, couldnt speak for 5 mins after coming off it........didn't like the sensation one big, strand really when I go on all the coasters in any theme park no problem.........

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Is plane crazy the sky dive swing thing?
I'm not keen on cable cars but I can't be bothered to walk at AT! Also not keen on sub terra because I stared at a guard smirking :P It's funny ,so funny that I don't want to go on in case I start laughing and embarassing myself! :P

AdrenalineAlex

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:11 pm

the Jurassic Park ride in Universal Hollywood, I had a very large guy on my row and I was only like 10/11 at the time, I was very slim, and quite short, the lapbar didn't go far enough down. As we headed down the drop I swear to god I was clinging onto dear life convinced I was going to fall out, if I wanted to I could of easily slipped under.

I've faced my fears since though, not at the same park though, but at the one in Florida.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Detonator freaks me out. It has such a loose seatbelt. It's just so scary.

I have the same effect on Rush at Thorpe Park if you make the seatbelt loose. When the swing falls back, you get thrown forward in the seat and I still can't help but grab the seatbelt.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 am

Hex at AT really gets me I never used to be scared of it when I was dragged on by my parents but now I don't watch the video :P
Image credit to Lewis97

BSwiss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 am

A bit of an odd one but the Britain in the Blitz walkthrough at Flambards terrified me when I was a kid. I felt as though there was no guarantee of repeat never happening. Went a few times and always spent the night wide awake scared.

Lotty
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm

My number 1 freaky rollercoaster hate is Detornator at Thorpe park, Makes my stomach churn!

But also a little bit weird on my behalf i don't like water rides, they feel "unsafe" to my body and i go in a cold sweat.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)

AT Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Although no rides I have been on have ever Petrified me, the thought of going of oblivion still makes me feel sick, hopefully one day I'll man up and take my fears on
Last edited by AT Liam on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.