UK theme parks from another point of view!

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Legalisation/Decriminalisation of Cannabis

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I would love to hear views from both sides, and some good debate on this popular topic of argument.

Personally, as one of the least harmful substances on the planet I see no issue with it. Alcohol and tobacco are much more destructive and harmful, I could go into neurotransmitters and neurotoxins to explain why but I won't.

Discuss!
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Legalisation/Decriminalisation of Cannabis

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Hmmm... A political topic!  :lol:

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on drugs, so I can't realy argue on what damage it does/does not do. But from a cultral point of view it just won't work in this life time. People won't expect Cannabis legal as it is assioated with "street drugs" A change in law and order, (or a least some parts of it) doesn't mean people will expect it as such. It won't change peoples attitudes towards Cannabis and in some cases, it will lead to pubic unrest. I'm not saying, theres going to be mass roits against the goverment, but people won't like it and change in Law doesn't always meam the masses will agree or comply.It has to be done over a long peroid of time when gerenal mind sets change acording to the time.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Very true, something a true Liberal (not Cleggy) like me gets annoyed with. I have been an Alcoholic and have recently started abstaining. Alcohol is awful, detremental to health, kills brain cells and is generally unnatural. Cannabis unlocks a neurotransmitter in the brain that lies dormant otherwise. A natural high you could say...?
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:22 am

Whilst i personally wouldn't use it, there are a lot of benefits to legalising it. There are no adverse health benefits that I know of, although you have to admit, the people that use it continuously, do seem to have mental issues (paranoia, slow reaction times ect). As such it is wise to educate about using it in schools, just like they do with sex and alcohol education. personally I'm of the belief that anyone who knows the dangers, and then continues to do something, only has themselves to blame, and shouldn't be a burden on the state.
On the plus side, it frees police up from the arduous task of trying to control it and allows them to focus on more serious offences. Plus if you can obtain it lawfully, why the need for shady back alley deals with gangs, which normally lead to extreme violence.
Also, it can be controlled by the government in the same way alcohol and cigarettes are. So instead of costing the country money (policing, jail, rehab ect.), the country can be making money from it in VAT and duty, with fines for misuse and people being public nuisances. 

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am

It should be legalized with proper education.

Like anything, it can be harmful when abused, but the same applies to a large number of products available legally. Not even just the obvious stuff like alcohol and tobacco either, if you consume too much caffeine or sugar for example, it's not going to be good for you!

Another reason for legalization is control. The media love to report on how much stronger today's 'skunk' is in comparison to the relatively tame weed of the 70s. If this is a issue, then surely legalizing it and putting a control on the strength, or some kind of grading system helps to solve that problem?

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm 100% for weed being legalised, people should be able to do what they want with there bodies, not what someone in Westminster says they are allowed to do. Make all drugs legal, educate people about the dangers and if they do anything stupid it's their choice, and their fault.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:36 pm

And of course, regulation of substance is a big issue, ie adding extra filler to get more cash for the substance provided, some fillers being highly toxic. Something legalisation could eliminate.

Toke up...

amy0192
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Again, not a drug expert, but I have somewhat complex (or perhaps just contradicting) views on the legalization of cannabis. I don't believe it to be all that harmful as a drug itself and it's a somewhat natural high. It's not that detrimental to health unless well and truly abused and it's said to have some good side effects also. It's a great pain reliever so it's even medically prescribed, showing it really can't be that bad at all. It seems like it really should be legalized in that sense. But then, there's another part of me that kind of see's it as a gateway drug to harder substances. Not everyone who does cannabis does harder drugs like heroin, but it's been proven that people on hard drugs started out on cannabis something like 90% of the time. That's something to consider. The fact that it's illegal will obviously deter some people so you could say it's saving a lot of people from potentially ruining their lives with heroin and the like. I think there's good and bad and the thing is people are gonna do it whether its legal or not, and a drug that's prescribed medically with no real detriment to health or well-being shouldn't be illegal in my opinion. It's just down to people to keep their heads screwed on and not mess with other stuff and all will be well. Live and let live, and all that.  :)
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:35 pm

The gateway drug theory is not limited to Cannabis. Tobacco and Alcohol, drugs that are not considered drugs by society are shown to have the same gateway effects, however minimal they are. It is of my view that natural addicts will move up in strength of drug no matter what they start out on.

Toke up...

amy0192
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm

The Moon wrote:
The gateway drug theory is not limited to Cannabis. Tobacco and Alcohol, drugs that are not considered drugs by society are shown to have the same gateway effects, however minimal they are. It is of my view that natural addicts will move up in strength of drug no matter what they start out on.

There's that too! So I guess it pretty much comes down to illegalization of ALL gateway drugs in ALL forms or legalization of all the ones that don't have major health implications. And personally I think the first option is pretty ridiculous.  :?
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Again, the gateway drug thing doesn't really work, as it's dependent on the individual, not the drug. I've smoked weed for 12 years and have not once been tempted by anything harder.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I've recently taken it up, it distracts me from alcohol and a nice smoke at the end of the day is great stress relief.

Toke up...

leammiles
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Although cannabis is proven to be ''non addictive'', that doesn't mean people can't become addicted to it.

One of the big problems I have with cannabis is that, when smoked regularly by certain types of people, they come to rely on it as a lifestyle, they become addicted to it not physically, but mentally.

People can get to a point that they can't get out of bed without smoking, can't go outside without it, and that is where the problem lies.

Sure recreational use is great and doesn't cause damage or health problems, but there is a whole other side to it.

I personally believe that it should stay illegal as if it was legally available, 'weaker' people could use it as a crutch and become dependant on it.

I've tried most drugs other than psychadelics and I believe that all drugs, legal and illegal, including alcohol and cigarettes, are wrong.

I'm a hippocrite though because it doesn't stop me

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 am

I dont see the need to legalise Cannibis. Its easily obtainable and can be found everywhere. If you do get caught in posession, you only get a caution so its no big deal. The only thing you cant do is smoke it openly on the street these days so if someone wants to smoke at home then theres nothing to really stop them. If you look at Amsterdam where cannibis is sold in licenced coffee shops, they have a huge problem with harder drugs like heroin and speaking from personal experience, heroin can potentially ruin your life within 6 months of social smoking.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 am

Sorry to digress a bit but I think the SALE of CIGARETTES should be illegal
We've got health and safety rules about everything but for some reason people are still allowed to make a sell these cancer sticks knowing thoroughly, how addictive they are.
You wouldn't sell knives to a self harmer and that less harmfull.

Does John Wardley smoke?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

LPAJ13
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Wildboy wrote:
The only thing you cant do is smoke it openly on the street these days so if someone wants to smoke at home then theres nothing to really stop them.

This annoys me a great deal. People do smoke it in the streets these days and dare I even mention, I have smelt and witnessed it at Towers and NOTHING is ever done about it. Even the police refuse these days to stop anyone smoking it in the streets due to the amount of paperwork that it involves. My concern about smoking it openly outdoors and around theme parks is that kids question the smell and should be protected till at least the age of 18 from it. Now in reality this will never happen, kids will get their hands on it no matter what. Legalise cannabis and it could create a new income from the government. Make it legal and for some, it would take the edge of smoking it and therefore could lead to misuse of harder substances.

It makes me laugh when people say "im addicted to smoking weed". Weed is the least addictive substance compared with alcohol and tabbaco. It also is (and this will sound wrong no matter how i put this but will do), more healthy than tabbaco and alcohol. The amount of toxin's and "addictiveness" of weed is less than the aforementioned items. The medical uses of cannabis are more positive than most prescribed items of pain killers. Example is the usage of chemical cannabis for the pain relief of arthritis. We have seen in the media some older people who have arthritis growing it for personal consumption to help with their joint pain (note the pun).
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I do agree, smoking around those who don't want to be around or exposed to it is very wrong. And it can cause phsycological addiction, like food, and leads to problems. However no where near as bad as the Legal drugs Tobacco and Alcohol, and has zero withdrawal symptoms.

Toke up...

Graeme
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

The police do stop people in the street smoking it and it quite often generates little work
RITA = Flying fish for teens \":)\"

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm

I think I just found the most hypocritical article ever. Wow.

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/ ... round.html

Toke up...

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Ritadz wrote:
I'm 100% for weed being legalised, people should be able to do what they want with there bodies, not what someone in Westminster says they are allowed to do. Make all drugs legal, educate people about the dangers and if they do anything stupid it's their choice, and their fault.

Effects of second hand smoking, anyone?

As far as I'm concerned, Cannabis should be legal but only when smoked in private, though the same should also be true of tobacco, which is so clearly a more harmful substance. The benefits of the government being able to tax Canabis, instead of its sale funding crime and other illegal activity, would be a major and much needed boost for the government of this country. For me, it's not important whatsoever as a political move, but as an economic move. Legalisation makes sense.
Last edited by Pennywise on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.