UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Making a home made hot tub

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 am

I was thinking the past few days of making a home made hot tub out of a second hand 1000lt IBC water container with cladding, run by a log fire and heat exchanger. I reckon the whole lot will cost less than £200 to complete and after looking on youtube I realised that someone had already done exactly what I was thinking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t187LUa_MbA

I wonder if anyone has done a similar thing. Im looking to use a recycled wood stove but im not sure on what to use for the heat exchanger?
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Making a home made hot tub

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:28 am

If you work out what would be a good heat exchanger, as i been looking at heating a bestway pool.

Chris-TT

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:37 pm

insulation is one of the most important factors, replaced the lid on mine at the beginning of this year and the household electric bill halved!

Good luck with the project, look forward to seeing some photos of the finished prouct

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:02 pm

OK I took the first step in purchasing a 1000lt IBC container from a local supplier for £40. I have stumbled at the first hurdle however. I was so mixed up in choosing the right colour (went for black to reduce algae growth) I neglected to check what had been stored inside the thing.

Turns out the container was used for an aircraft grade polyester resin which is dangerous to breath in or touch. Now I have a toxic waste dump in my garden and I paid £40 for the privelage!

I have had good advice from a family member to mask and suit up and then pour some sort of resin catalyst inside to set the remaining dregs hard before attempting to cut the top as the fumes are unstable and carcinagenic. Once the reaction is complete, it should be a bit safer. Not a great start.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am

So it was full of glue? Send that back, when they say no, donwgrade to a swap. I think it was wrong to sell you that. What is a person gonna do with a glue filled container?

Also, you do typically use the catalyst to set polyester resin. You use about 2% catalyst to the amount of polyester but more if you want it to go of faster.

The one I had was suppose to be a bit dangerous to breathe but not so much that you would just pass out and die if you caught a few breaths.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:39 am

OK so for an update on the home made hot tub....Its been chopped up into little pieces. I could not get rid of the sticky chemical substance off the sides and bottom and when it touched my skin it burnt it away so I decided that I was never going to let anyone get inside it for a bath no matter how many litres of acetone i poured in to try and remove it. The only option was to bag up the waste and dispose of properly before chopping down the plastic container. Now I still have the metal frame which is going to be taken to my mums to turn into a hay container.

Stay tuned for mark II as I have just purchased a second container which has only stored maple syrup this time. This one should be a pleasure to clean! Will update with photos when it arrives.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 am

lol well atleast your Mum has a new hay container :D

Whenever you build stuff for the first time, this kind of occurance is completely normal!! The only thing you can do is read over 10 forums but sometimes the headache that causes is as bad as messing up.

Good luck!
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Amazing. I did consider doing this myself at one point, in the end I bought a ready made one with some severe staff discounts! Couldn't live without it now!