UK theme parks from another point of view!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

bright, clean walkways/stuff -an unsung contributer to *magic*

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Like many things I post, I'm thinking about the long term future with this and just something to remember when works are in progress.

Many times I think about what exactly creates the so called magic but does a clean and bright enviroment contribute quite heavily to this "magic"?
Heres a picture of a place (I think) in Europa park:

One of the things I notice is how bright the ground cover is. I find, that when the walkways in the town center/themeparks/anywhere -are clear and bright - I find it very cheery... the way the light bounces of it, it's quite powerful.
Thats why I'm making a topic cause the effect of cleaness and a bright(but natural) colour choice conrete/bricks/ground cover seems to be very powerful with regards to mood. I don't know, is that just me? What do you think?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Jubby
TT Member
TT Member

Re: bright, clean walkways/stuff -an unsung contributer to *magic*

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm

I would agree that it does help, although the general cleanliness of the ground is as important. Ive read somewhere that Disney steam clean the pathways every night.
I also think that ground cover is an opportunity to be different from the real world to help create some 'magic'. By this I mean not using tarmac, which I know is hard to avoid at a place so big as AT, but it would be better if it was avoided and other materials used to add to an areas theme.

KJ91
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Actually your on to something there, because town centres / shopping centres are all made to be bright cheery and simplistic to make you sub consciously more relaxed and therefore spend more money within that area by being in a better mood and there fore spending longer in that location.

I dont think it would work in a setting like alton towers however because it is built into a on old towers and their gardens.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Rather than just using 'bright' walkways, I believe the key is cleanliness.

Having stayed late at both Disney's Magic Kingdom and Epcot, I have seen that large teams start working shortly after closing time. Although I didn't see them steam cleaning, some paths of heavy footfall were getting the jet wash, broom and disinfectant job.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how often the cleaning is done at the Towers, although I have seen litter picking towards the end of the day. I was disgusted on opening day of 2011 that chewing gum, graffiti and sticky fences still remained after the closed season, it's just not on!