UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Has anyone ever attempted to write a novel?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I have been suggested by several people that I should put pen to paper and write to see what happens. I have recently played through Farcry 3 and having shot at pixels for another three weeks, I decided to go for it and 'see what happens'. Im not trained or familier with reading or writing novels but I am enjoying creating the character and plot development in the novel I am working on. My motivation is not to earn mega bucks, its purely to put my time to better use than playing computer games and to enjoy myself.

I wonder if anyone else has attempted writing or able to point me towards somewhere to hand in a couple of chapters for an unbiased assesment of whether I am wasting my time more than I was while playing Farcry?
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Has anyone ever attempted to write a novel?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 pm

You forgot to tell us what it's about and also have you made a plan?

oliviamae
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 pm

I have written a bit and I would say you need to know your characters inside out before you start. You will probably find that they choose their own path as you write. You mentioned you weren't much of a reader and I think you should change that - it should offer you at best inspiration, and at worst the motivation to better the piece of crap you just read. ;)

Two of my friends are writing their books at the moment and I have read through them and helped with grammar, structure, feedback etc, and if you wish for someone to have a read through before you approach a publisher it'd be my pleasure - just drop me a message if you want.

MC4
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am

I have just started writting today with my novel  :D one thing you must do is know your characters inside and out, even knowing their favourite ice cream flavour  :) you need to plan out the plot and know whats going to happen when  :P

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 am

I tried
thinking it would be easy, quiet work but when you get to 100 pages and want to proof read it all to keep track of your story and make sure its consistent, you feel different.
Also it helps to be good at English - I was amazed by how much I didn't know like, how to keep a good flow of narrative when people are talking.

1 thing I might try, is to try and write a childrens book....or a childrens book for adults.

Good luck. I hope it turns out better than your hot tub  :D
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:45 am

OK heres my synopsis:
Jake Collins, a young criminal psychologist suffers a tragic loss when her partner dies in a car crash just outside his home city of Boston. Grieving for his loss and working at North Central penetentiary, he realises that the soul of his loved one has been inexpicably transferred to her killer at the moment of her passing. Battling against grief, infatuation and his own sensibility, he attempts to transfer her soul back from the killer to a pretty little lady named Clarissa.

Thats basically the plot in a nutshell.  Currently I am writing the accident after a nice weekend away at the in laws up in Maine. Adding tension and drama to a sudden split second event is prooving tricky though, especially only twelve pages in.

Grammar is also not a strong point. It looks like I have got a bucket of commas and thrown them at the first chapter but im not too concerned about that because punctuation can improve a good story but im all too aware that a well punctuated pile of poo is not going to well received by anyone.

I do read a little. I would say that my influences would be Stephen King and James Herbert. My favourite book being Misery, hence the story being set in Boston/Maine. I have also attempted to write before but my grandmother told me that I was very descriptive but had not left enough to the imagination. Whether I have written enough on this one to convey my world, im not so sure.

oliviamae wrote:
Two of my friends are writing their books at the moment and I have read through them and helped with grammar, structure, feedback etc, and if you wish for someone to have a read through before you approach a publisher it'd be my pleasure - just drop me a message if you want.

Thats a lovely gesture, thank you. I think I may take you up on the offer in order to get some sort of unbiased thumbs up or thumbs down from someone other than a family member.

MattsDesigns wrote:

Good luck. I hope it turns out better than your hot tub  :D

Lol - The hot tub vII is coming along nicely thanks. Worked well in its trial run. I must add some pictures when i have time.

lindsay.j.chant
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:35 am

I write quite a bit. I currently have one near completed first draft, the first 52,000 words of which were written in November, that I'm taking a break from before plunging back in to finish and start editing. To pick up on what others have said about getting to know your characters first, some people find it useful to write short stories about their characters first to get a feel for them.

Also research the setting for the story as much as you can, my current wip is set across Europe and features a number of cities, where I have had to research concert venues, restaurants, hotels, residential areas, hospitals and much more. I know that some of it may not be perfectly accurate, but that I have done enough for it to be as realistic as possible. It sometimes also helps to join a writing forum where you can post excerpts of your work (generally 1,500 - 2,000 words) for critique. The rules on them are generally simple: You give a critique, even just saying that you liked someone else's work; you get a critique. That's at least how it works on the forum I'm on, though I haven't posted anything since about October last year before I got pulled in with all the planning and research for the current wip which has put everything else to one side.

Also, if what you are currently working on becomes tedious, never throw it away. Just put it to one side, go off and work on something else for a while and then, after about a month, come back to it with a fresh eye and mind.

I'd also be happy to read through anything prior to submissions (it sometimes helps to have 2 or 3 "beta readers")
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.

Danny

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Considering making this into a short novel ;)

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 am

lindsay.j.chant wrote:
I write quite a bit. I currently have one near completed first draft, the first 52,000 words of which were written in November, that I'm taking a break from before plunging back in to finish and start editing. To pick up on what others have said about getting to know your characters first, some people find it useful to write short stories about their characters first to get a feel for them.

Also research the setting for the story as much as you can, my current wip is set across Europe and features a number of cities, where I have had to research concert venues, restaurants, hotels, residential areas, hospitals and much more. I know that some of it may not be perfectly accurate, but that I have done enough for it to be as realistic as possible. It sometimes also helps to join a writing forum where you can post excerpts of your work (generally 1,500 - 2,000 words) for critique. The rules on them are generally simple: You give a critique, even just saying that you liked someone else's work; you get a critique. That's at least how it works on the forum I'm on, though I haven't posted anything since about October last year before I got pulled in with all the planning and research for the current wip which has put everything else to one side.

Also, if what you are currently working on becomes tedious, never throw it away. Just put it to one side, go off and work on something else for a while and then, after about a month, come back to it with a fresh eye and mind.

I'd also be happy to read through anything prior to submissions (it sometimes helps to have 2 or 3 "beta readers")

Thats very kind to offer. again i may take you up on that. I am at about 10,000 words now and at the point where the plot needs to progress but im having a break until the central heating is fixed and i have straightened a few ideas out in my head for the characters. Why oh why did I make the lead character a criminal psychologist living in another country when I know nothing about the field. Hopefully this break will allow me to research more and write more confidently rather than trying to skirt around the issues.

I tend to make up fictional places within a real area like 'Abenaki Lake' in Maine. Its amazing how much research you actually need to do. Simple things like, how old is the oldest bridge in America? and so on. Its fun doing the research but its easy to get caught up in the detail and also makes me feel like im not progressing but I would rather write with conviction rather than fart out something random.... or maybe i am doing that anyway?  :shock:

Matteh
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

I took Creative Writing at Uni so I wrote a lot for those 3 years. Before that I also used to roleplay as an original wrestler on forums (not as geeky as it sounds, ;D). While most of my Uni stuff consisted of little 3-5k short pieces, my final dissertation was to write 10k words, and mine transpired to be the first 10k of a novel. However, although I am still very proud of it, it wasn't as amazing as I thought at the time. It was basically Skins but based on my experience through college embellished a little.

Since I left Uni in 2010 I've found it difficult to motivate myself to write, even attempting NaNoWriMo a couple of times to no avail but I do believe that one day an idea will come to me and I'll get published.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 am

I have thought about writing a novel but have not, due to the struggle I have with writing and my dyslexia. 

The closest I have got is writing a autobiographical type blog about my time with a step daughter with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). I did start adapting it into a book, got suck and took a break. I may go back to it when time allows.
Last edited by Delta79 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am

I'm a big fan of writing stories and have done for a long time, in fact it goes back to when I was at school and having English lessons but I mainly do it for enjoyment rather than financial gain.  Over the years I've written a few novels and my current one is going ok although when I get writers block, it is annoying! 

It's about a couple who go missing out of the blue and the police investigating the disappearance get more than they bargained for during the course of the story :)

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 am