UK theme parks from another point of view!

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Horse meat views

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm

So this horse meat scandal is still continuing and tbh I see it continuing for quite some time.
I was wondering what your views on it were.
Has this bothered you?
Do u still buy meat products and don't care less.
Had this totally stopped you buying meat products.
Has it even turned u veggie.

IMO it doesn't bother me I still eat meat products n if it does turn out to be horse meat I think is quite tasty.
Obviously companies are all blaming one another so looks like this will last for a while.
Please discuss
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Horse meat views

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

I've never knowingly eaten horse meat, so if it turns out I have and I didn't taste the difference, then I honestly don't see why it would bother me to eat it on purpose.
I'm not sure, why there is such a taboo about it TBH, It's an animal like any other, and given the option of having that or nothing, I'm sure, we would all choose to eat it.

The biggest problem that has arisen by way of this scandal, is that people are being deceived. We are trusting these big corporations to do what they say they are doing, and it turns out, they aren't. That's what makes me angry, and more to the point, I find it difficult to believe anything else they say. How do we now know that all our other food is safe? How do we know out harmless pizza, doesn't have something far worse mixed into it?

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

That's true, packets saying beef but really it's a different meat or a mixture of meat.
People are gonna lose trust and really in this day n age do we really know wot we are eating?

I don't think so...
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:37 pm

This will roll on to other foods, im sure of it.

Chicken  is pumped full of water and god knows what else.

The positive to come out of this is that butchers are getting busier as customers snub the supermarket rubbish. If more and more do this the price of decent meat will come down in price.

I picked up a packet of fish at the supermarket the other day. On the front of the packet it said breaded fish, I looked and looked to see what type. In the end I checked the ingredients and it was Pollock but only 60%, so they are at it with everything.

Like the old saying goes, buy cheap buy twice.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm

This has not stopped what I eat and to be honest I'm not bothered is I have eaten Horse...

My main concern is that if they have found horse in food, what else is in there and how on earth did their quality control miss this. I'm sure heads will roll. Now I work for the pharma industry and it is very heavily regulated, well you have to be careful with drugs and sick people, I feel the food industry needs to up its game.

On a plus side Explorers Pizza Pasta has a 5 star hygiene rating which was nice to see posted up on the wall.
If you go down to the woods today

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 pm

WELL as a member of the dominating force of Tesco, i can honestly say...i would rather eat horse than the traditional ingredients of basic brand meat... Arsehole,Testicle,Intestines and Genetalia.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 pm

When I heard on the news that horse meat was five times cheaper than beef, I rushed to the laptop to try and buy some.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 am

I don't care if it is horse meat, as long as it label correctly. and vetted for human consumption correctly.

leeprice
TT Member
TT Member

Horse meat views

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 am

I think most people will agree, this is a trust issue. It's not the fact that we're eating horse meat, the problem is we thought we were eating beef. And it's begs the question, what else are we eating that we don't know about?

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Well I work in the meat industry so can kill a few myths for you.

Firstly the fresh meat for sale in a supermarket is not played with as the scale of production doesn't allow time to add thing, or water injected into chicken, just doesn't happen.
Secondly there is no offal in fresh mince, just the cuts that are no good for roasting or steaks.

If you buy frozen then it is more likely to of been played with as once its frozen its shelf life becomes about 18 months, so more time to fiddle if you like and also this is the cheaper end of the market so extra fat and rusk is also added.

Horse meat is actually better than beef, but the consumer doesn't like eating things that once had a name!
I agree the biggest problem to me is traceability, the meat industry is heavily regulated after BSE so it's hard to see how this could happen, but same as any industry there's always a shyster looking to make a quick buck.
I WILL be back

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I think it's pretty bad if you're religious and can't eat horse meat and then find out you've broke that, I think that could be pretty upsetting for someone from that religion

It really just comes around to trust, and what really happens to our food, the fact thatched was a chance for it to get mixed up concerns me, where does what you put in your mouth really go? I suppose you'll never really know for sure.

Personally though, I don't eat meat full stop, so it doesn't really effect me, still, I think it's pretty bad testing wasn't conducted earlier, why are we just finding out about this now? People could have been eating it for years...
Thanks to Lewis97 :)

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Delta79 wrote:
I don't care if it is horse meat, as long as it label correctly. and vetted for human consumption correctly.

You should care, some horses could have been injected with chemicals by owners which could cause various illnesses to humans.

DONT LOOK DOWN
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Marcus wrote:
Delta79 wrote:

You should care, some horses could have been injected with chemicals by owners which could cause various illnesses to humans.

Argh damn you beat me to it! The medicine is this venom from a venomous frog. Anyway that's what I read on the Daily Mail.......
Being number two is just being the first to lose.

oliviamae
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't mind the actual meat content, my only concern is that the meat hasn't been sold at a standard expected.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Horse meat found In ikea meatballs...didn't even realise ikea did food... :shock:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

When I first heard about all this I thought people were outraged that Tesco were selling 'horse meat burgers' - I've eaten horse before and thought it was tasty so was a little disappointed!

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Dam those Ikea hot dogs were tasty
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:37 pm

As long as it tastes good its fine by me  :)

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I honestly don't care. People have been eating it for a while and nobody noticed, so it obviously tasted fine, but if you could buy horse meat, i wouldn't. They really shouldn't put horse meat in products without telling us though
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm a vegetarian.

I completely agree with the vast majority of people in this topic saying that "if you're willing to eat a cow, you should be willing to eat a horse - it's perhaps even preferable" and that the only issue here is that the food has been mislabeled. It baffles me as to the number of people I've come across who're disgusted at the prospect of having possibly eaten horsemeat because "they would never eat a horse" and "that's disgusting", however. It really is bizarre. These people irritate me, I find it to be hypocritical and a sad example of how society works - dictating to people what is good and what is bad when there's no real difference. Surely if it tastes the same then it is the same?