UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mac or windows

Mac
11 (44%)
Windows
13 (52%)
Couldnt care less
1 (4%)
Other
No votes

Total votes: 25

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mac vs Windows

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:16 pm

After discussing macs and windows in the sb, i decided to create a topic.
Last edited by Fish777 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBoyWithOneEye
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Mac vs Windows

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:21 pm

This is the boywithoneeye and this is my windows phone ;)

Windows is the best! Its just simple and colourful  8)

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Oh Dear

Own a mac love it, but use windows at work, don't hate it

Despise apples macbook chargers, and their replacement prices-

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Windows keeps me employed where as Mac doesn't so I'm going with Windows  :lol:
If you go down to the woods today

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Windows, just even though it is slower than a mac. Macs are far too expensive.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

I must say macs are extremely expensive, but the truth is, they're faster and more reliable than windows.

Richardio123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Own a Macbook
Own an iPhone 5 had all the previous versions
Own an iPad
Yes I love Apple. :)
Signature Pending.. ;D

JamiePenguin
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Unix Core/Kernel (All Derived)
You disagree well.... to bad you already using it. (Or have used it)

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 am

Windows all the way! Windows is the undisputed best gaming platform on the planet. Providing you have the PC to power it, nothing matches the graphics quality, sound quality and pure gaming experience of a PC, and to be fair. Nothing ever will.

As for Mac's being faster, unless your using the £6000 Mac Pro desktop's with dual processors then that is a load of rubbish! All Mac's use exactly the same Intel processors as some Windows PC's use, it's impossible they can be faster. You have to remember though, you spend upwards of £800 plus for a Mac. Apple do not sell low spec Mac's, but you can get low spec Windows laptops, so if you have a cheap £300 Windows laptop and the cheapest Mac and compare them side by side, of course the Mac will be faster. Match them specification wise, and now especially with the super lightweight Windows 8, the Windows laptop will win, hands down.

What you can do on Windows also, which you cannot do on a Mac is over clock your processor to higher speeds, which truly makes the system even faster.

Apple are exceptionally good at one thing, and one thing only. Marketing.

Take the new hyped up feature on the Iphone 5, that claims to turn background noise down. This feature has been around on some HDC and Samsung phones for nearly 3 years!

Don't get me wrong, Apple build quality is good yes, but that is because they don't sell cheap computers. You spend the same money on a Windows based laptop, and the build quality will be just as good. If not better, Dell XPS, and Alienware systems being a perfect example.
Last edited by Doopy Dan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:22 am

I have never owned and do not intent to own anything Apple, some my Samsung Galaxy S4, that's a phone :-)

What most people forget with Windows is its background and history.

Lets go back to the 80's DOS, believe it or not there are still some systems out there which use this old technology, Windows still supports this.
Move into the 90's, Windows 3.1, NT4, 95 and 98 all were huge leaps in technology. the 00's brought Windows 2000, XP and Windows 7 (We won't mention ME and Vista *cough*)

Yes your Mac may look like and run fast, but Windows is designed to work on almost any hardware with any driver that a manufacturer designs. So if you have dodgy hardware or driver, this can cause Windows to be unstable. Apple get around this by controlling everything and you pay the price for this.

Look at corporate networks, when you lift the bonnet on Windows and look at how it works, how versatile it can be, it is compatible with almost everything and from a business it works so well. It just ticks all the boxes. It is far from perfect and has its faults, but it does a great job. It you work in a large corporate environment with a very versatile infrastructure you will know how much it can do.

What Microsoft got wrong... back from the DOS and FAT days there was no file security, remember Windows 95 asking for a password and hitting escape got you in anyway? The security of earlier versions of Windows was giving you access to everything, it was not until NT4 came along that we got a stable OS and more security and the good NTFS file system we have today. Blue screens of death, mainly down to Windows 98 first edition being rubbish, poor drivers or faulty hardware.

Microsoft missed out on the whole App store thing, if they have introduced some sort of App store in Windows 98 with their approved software, then this would have boosted Windows. Many problems people have with Windows is down to their own doing for example:
-Installing everything in the world they don't need, filling up the disk
-NOT READING and just clicking away then they install toolbars, unwanted software
-Not protecting their computer, Anti virus, you can use free ones and make sure the firewall is on too
-We are lucky that with recent tablet and phone technology it is very easy to use new devices, but with Windows, its been around a very long time and it can do a lot that many people need lessons or to be educated on how to do things.

Forget the OS discussions, the main problem is often the end use, the number of people I see who can only get a capital letter on a computer by pressing CAPS LOCK then the letter they need and the CAPS LOCK when shift will do. Or people who say "I have an error message on my computer"...... it often helps to read the message as it often tells you what is wrong.

People often say "How do you ..." funny enough type that question into Google and you get the answer!
If you go down to the woods today

JamiePenguin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Doopy Dan wrote:
Windows all the way! Windows is the undisputed best gaming platform on the planet. Providing you have the PC to power it, nothing matches the graphics quality, sound quality and pure gaming experience of a PC, and to be fair. Nothing ever will.

Nope. This has bee tested and Ubuntu, running Steam, and the same games as wind are 20% faster.
Native apps for wind ran is Wine are about 2-3%
Unix in its current state and the derived Linux states are a lot more powerful and optimised.
Linux is used in some cinemas in order to power the 10.2 Surround Systems and even in Theme Parks for the power and ease it enables.
(Now in phones)

Open source beats both of them there.

bensaund wrote:
I have never owned and do not intent to own anything Apple, some my Samsung Galaxy S4, that's a phone :-)

What most people forget with Windows is its background and history.

Lets go back to the 80's DOS, believe it or not there are still some systems out there which use this old technology, Windows still supports this.
Move into the 90's, Windows 3.1, NT4, 95 and 98 all were huge leaps in technology. the 00's brought Windows 2000, XP and Windows 7 (We won't mention ME and Vista *cough*)

Yes your Mac may look like and run fast, but Windows is designed to work on almost any hardware with any driver that a manufacturer designs. So if you have dodgy hardware or driver, this can cause Windows to be unstable. Apple get around this by controlling everything and you pay the price for this.

Look at corporate networks, when you lift the bonnet on Windows and look at how it works, how versatile it can be, it is compatible with almost everything and from a business it works so well. It just ticks all the boxes. It is far from perfect and has its faults, but it does a great job. It you work in a large corporate environment with a very versatile infrastructure you will know how much it can do.

What Microsoft got wrong... back from the DOS and FAT days there was no file security, remember Windows 95 asking for a password and hitting escape got you in anyway? The security of earlier versions of Windows was giving you access to everything, it was not until NT4 came along that we got a stable OS and more security and the good NTFS file system we have today. Blue screens of death, mainly down to Windows 98 first edition being rubbish, poor drivers or faulty hardware.

Microsoft missed out on the whole App store thing, if they have introduced some sort of App store in Windows 98 with their approved software, then this would have boosted Windows. Many problems people have with Windows is down to their own doing for example:
-Installing everything in the world they don't need, filling up the disk
-NOT READING and just clicking away then they install toolbars, unwanted software
-Not protecting their computer, Anti virus, you can use free ones and make sure the firewall is on too
-We are lucky that with recent tablet and phone technology it is very easy to use new devices, but with Windows, its been around a very long time and it can do a lot that many people need lessons or to be educated on how to do things.

Forget the OS discussions, the main problem is often the end use, the number of people I see who can only get a capital letter on a computer by pressing CAPS LOCK then the letter they need and the CAPS LOCK when shift will do. Or people who say "I have an error message on my computer"...... it often helps to read the message as it often tells you what is wrong

Galaxy S4 is Linux based.

Unix was released in 1969 that's 40+ years ago.
Microsoft has a server based OS for network communication but it was ju a proprietary Red Hat Linux.
Unix/Linux bas always been secure.

Apple's application store was a direct copy of the Ubuntu store.. (Release years before)
Unix and Linux are are most secure OS's not only for Antivirus but the way they work.

Unix was around and Microsoft and Apple both use the Unix Core.
Windows is heavily modified so they didn't have to give credit, Apples I slightly modified a they gave credit.
Windows then jus take ideas from the community and use them, Apple borrow functionality.

Google and Apple do at times help push what is possible and Microsoft do not.

This topic should be Locked as Unix is king.
And this kind of topic can divide people :(

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Nope. This has bee tested and Ubuntu, running Steam, and the same games as wind are 20% faster.
Unix in its current state and the derived Linux states are a lot more powerful and optimised.
Linux is used in some cinemas in order to power the 10.2 Surround Systems and even in Theme Parks for the power and ease it enables.
(Now in phones)

Well, actually, no back to you.

While Ubuntu is faster yes, speed is not the only measurement in games performance. Windows currently uses the DirectX 11 API. DirectX is the most advanced application interface available. Bar non. OpenGL is far behind. It is the only interface that enables developers to squeeze the very best out of graphics hardware, and thus delivering the best graphics in games, end of. Ubuntu does not support DirectX, and thus looses out of pretty much all of the graphical enhancements that have made games look so good in the last few years. The Steam build that runs on Ubuntu uses OpenGL, the other competing API. However OpenGL does not support most of the latest graphical ehancements that DirectX does. So yes. while it does run faster, this is because it does not have to process half of the graphical algorithms that Windows does. You can argue this till the cows come home, but its an undisputed fact between the PC gaming community. Until Ubuntu gets an API as powerful as DirectX, it will always lag behind, end of.

As for you saying that theme parks use Ubuntu, it is certainly not for the rides. The Ubuntu kernal is not a real time kernal, the same as Windows and OSX. Anybody in engineering knows the disasters that could happen from controlling automated electronic systems such as production lines and rides if they used a non real time OS.
Last edited by Doopy Dan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamiePenguin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Doopy Dan wrote:
(Now in phones)

Well, actually, no back to you.

While Ubuntu is faster yes, speed is not the only measurement in games performance. Windows currently uses the DirectX 11 API. DirectX is the most advanced application interface available. Bar non. OpenGL is far behind. It is the only interface that enables developers to squeeze the very best out of graphics hardware, and thus delivering the best graphics in games, end of. Ubuntu does not support DirectX, and thus looses out of pretty much all of the graphical enhancements that have made games look so good in the last few years. The Steam build that runs on Ubuntu uses OpenGL, the other competing API. However OpenGL does not support most of the latest graphical ehancements that DirectX does. So yes. while it does run faster, this is because it does not have to process half of the graphical algorithms that Windows does. You can argue this till the cows come home, but its an undisputed fact between the PC gaming community. Until Ubuntu gets an API as powerful as DirectX, it will always lag behind, end of.

As for you saying that theme parks use Ubuntu, it is certainly not for the rides. The Ubuntu kernal is not a real time kernal, the same as Windows and OSX. Anybody in engineering knows the disasters that could happen from controlling automated electronic systems such as production lines and rides if they used a non real time OS.

It us not that OpenGL is behind, OpenGL is actually ahead of Direct3D in terms of performance and features, the problem is support,
Mesa which is a OpenGL runtime is versions behind so can't offer up to date performance enhancements but does support every card to date.

Direct3D is only used because Microsoft used money to persuade usage while OpenGL fell because of no funding,
OpenGL now runs on nearly every device and is becoming the new top Graphic Library, Direct3D only being on Windows.

We're Linux does not run Direct3D there is an interpretation loop build in which ca convert Direct3D to OpenGL and that is pretty fast (Used in Wine, but as always bin graphics it is the manufacturer driver that determines performance)

Also OpenGL is core Graphics, as OpenAL opens th sound, this modular process is faster then Microsofts all features in one, but makes development harder to start.

As for for themeparks I meant that some use a low latency kernel, that I engineered towards perfecting timing and events

Agreed, it can be argued over and over.
I mainly wanted to put across that Mac and Windows both different skins and modified versions of an existing OS.

Edit: Unix / Linux Kernel does come in a Generic (Fast) and Low Latency an Real Time variations, which is what I meant.
Last edited by JamiePenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 am

OpenGL is not ahead of DirectX in terms of features, you just need to see the developers specification for both API's to see that!

It takes much more time for features and functions to be developed and implemented into OpenGL that it does for DirectX, this is because many different company's are involved in the development of OpenGL, while this does have it's advantages in having the API available to a wide range of operating systems. It also has the disadvantage of talking a relatively long time for features and and functions to be added, due to the collaborating between many different company world wide, and the the OpenGL standards having to be agreed on by all these companys before the OpenGL API can be updated. DirectX does not have this problem, due to being developed by one company, Microsoft.

As you say though, It can be argued over and over, no one clear winner will come either. They both have their pros and cons, as does Windows and Mac.

These low latency kernels interest me though. It would be interesting to see how they handle hardware and software interrupts and overall performance compared to a real time kernal, in a situation where a real time operating system is needed. As from what I gather even though a low latency system obviously reduces time from the input being processed to the output being outputted. I don't think they prioritize certain input events and stop the processor in its tracks to process these input events, like a real time system would. So, in theory, these low latency systems could still potentially lead to delays in the output being processed depending on the CPU workload, not good in safety critical computer system, like car ABS. Where the processor needs to output a signal to the brakes immediately without fail, every single time it receives an input from the brake pedal, no matter how much work the CPU is doing at the time the input is received.

Ether way, its all very interesting!

JamiePenguin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 am

Agreed, ARB, I think it is before it can be added, and they do have pros and cons.
It is nice having both using Windows but then I have been fine gaming in Linux and for other software engineering without Windows for 4 years :)

(Extension wise and what is possible OpenGL wins, for ease of use it is Direct3D)
The reason is mostly OpenGL gives much more control and is a more lower level API,
Microsoft keep it high level and offer some low level, but never for the developer,
Personally, and prefer the modular approach However Microsofts vector and matrix functions
(Well most mat functions are missed at times, but it takes away from learning the Graphics Pipeline)

I just like the freedom, customisation and power it can deliver why being secure. Far superior to that Windows or Mac can offer.

And from what I can understand a Generic kernel will get a process request and it will execute it as soon as possible, which is why lag can occur on slower machines, games, VLC sometimes even a browser, but a low latency and real time kernel does three time More processing and keeps executions in batch commands,
And executes them all at once (With latency) but has the command stored seconds before unlike the generic read, execute continue on a Generic kernel,

It is a rarer kind of Kernel and used in Audio and Video production for timing,
Ubuntu Studio should offer more information on advantages and disadvantages,

Slowly deviating from the topic (Sorry)

Unix is king, and Windows and Mac are about par,
Software is nothing without good accompanied hardware. :)
Last edited by JamiePenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 am

Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait for Steam to be fully Ubuntu, im sure it will take over as the gamers operating system of choice very soon. But yea, I believe we have gone a little off topic lol.

Tom.B

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I can't be bothered to read the last 8 posts, but I will say Mac. As I have one, and it is much quicker than PC!

I agree with the posters and the general public who like windows, cuz let's face it, Mac is pretty s*** for gaming, but I use it for productivity, e.g. video editing, and the RCT3 app is much quicker to load, and doesn't lag much!

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm

gotta agree with you on most of that tommo23. except the bit about you agreeing with the posters and gp who like windows.