UK theme parks from another point of view!

Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Yes
10 (45%)
Kind of
11 (50%)
No
No votes
Other
1 (5%)
 
Total votes: 22
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm

After reading this article about the cashier in Sainsbury who refused to serve a customer until she hung up her phone call, I started thinking.

When I first started at the company I work for, I wouldn't have dreamt of saying boo to a goose, and certainly wouldn't challenge a customer talking on a mobile phone, strongly holding the belief that the customer is always right.

However, now I have worked within retail for a number of years, i would challenge a customer, and the customer most certainly isn't always right. I am a person and have as much right to be treated with respect as much as the next person. This was one of the fundamental rules during school for me, treat others as you would like to be treated, i wouldn't like to be completely ignored "because i only work in a shop" so why should I accept it, the most basic of communication.

From the other point of view, I wouldn't be holding a conversation with my colleagues while serving, and frequently mention to other colleagues of mine that they should focus on the customer they're serving.

So what do you think? Are manners on the way out?
 
Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3001
Joined: March 2012
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 pm

If we're talking about supermarkets-most of them
Theme parks-CWOA & AT :no: Thorpe-I don't even think they even know what a please is on the most part
Image
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
If we're talking about supermarkets-most of them
Theme parks-CWOA & AT :no: Thorpe-I don't even think they even know what a please is on the most part

I meant generally! It was the supermarket that started me off though!
 
lindsay.j.chant
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 59
Joined: January 2013
Location: Manchester

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 am

I would say they are. Most of my colleagues refuse to answer one of the phones in our area because "It's the TAP/AP phone" despite the fact it is actually the main phone for our area, it just happens that the TAPs/APs needed a phone and that line was given to them to use along with us. I've seen people refuse to see to a patient at the reception simply because it might cause them to have to put a conversation with their friend on hold about what was on TV last night.
I actually feel bad if I keep a patient waiting until I've finished labelling the sample in front of me.
And don't even get me started on the fact that most of my colleagues think they provide brilliant "customer service"....  :raving:
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.
 
Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 1365
Joined: January 2013
Location: North West

Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:02 am

I absolutely think that there is too little emphasis being placed on manners these days. There has been the odd occasion when I am mid phone conversation when arriving at the till, I will happily chat until it is my turn to be served, at which point I will say to whoever is on the phone "hang on a minute I'm just paying I will be back" and I then interact with the assistant until the transaction is finished, say bye and THEN resume my phone call.
That's what I do because as I work in a shop that is what I would find acceptable- phone calls happen at in opportune moments however it's how you deal with it that counts.

I find it rude if a person is on the phone in work simply because it means I cannot do my job to the level required,- serving a customer requires a certain level of questioning, basic things such as 'how are you paying' , 'do you need a bag' but if they don't answer I'm sorry to say I will go into 'super happy' mode and make sure everyone else can see how blooming rude they're being with a cheery "WELL I HOPE YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAY! With a massive smile as they turn to leave.
Infact I find if you employ that tactic early into the transaction it often shames them into putting the call on hold-sometimes people are just to wrapped up in themselves and need a reminder :-)

On the flip side I cannot bear 'that' shop assistant, the one we all get compared to, who is disinterested and more interested in his/her weekend than anything else.
Quite simply, if you want a chat when there's no customers about that's fine, if there is someone to serve then do so, it's what you're being paid for, and do it with the utmost courtesy.
The uprise in that behaviour may be due to budget cuts- management can't effectively monitor their staff anymore as we're most of the time filling in for two non existent staff members, but if your parents teach you manners then it's not rocket science!
In my store I fully support the staff an agree they are not getting paid to take abuse off customers and on the rare occasion that happens I step in and tell the customer that I won't tolerate it, likewise if they are rude to the customer they get pulled on it- it works both ways! unfortunately not all managers have time to do that.

Shops aside,  the manners of children bother me greatly and please don't misunderstand- I'm well aware of how many lovely adorable well mannered, well behaved children still exist. I make sure to always comment to them and/or their parents about what beautifully well behaved children they are!
Nothing makes me more cross than Kids in the company of their parents who run around in public knocking into people/displays, the language they use, the general disregard of how to behave in public- of course it used to happen when we were kids, but it seems more prolific than ever these days.

Apologies for the rant, needed something to distract me from the exercise bike haha :-)
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Phild94
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 366
Joined: December 2012
Location: Newcastle under Lyme

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 am

As I work part time in a supermarket I can understand exactly where both sides of this argument are coming from....

To me there is nothing particularly wrong about using a phone whilst at a checkout because at the end of the day who knows how important that phone call could be to that person, however I do feel it should be a on courtesy to at least say hi, generally respond to any questions and at the end say Thankyou....

However, as my store has self service checkouts when I am on my break I spend most of it talking on my phone and tend to use these rather than have the awkward half conversation with people who (quite often) don't care about their jobs and least of all customer relations :/

Whenever I am in store I feel it necessary to try and keep customers as happy as possible and to all intents and purposes I feel I do this well, but once again you do get difficult customers which assume, seeing as you work in a supermarket, that your level of intellect is comparable to road kill :/ I mean my job there is part time and I've been there for almost 3 years and not only that but I'm currently doing a double honors degree in 2 sciences XD I mean I like to think that I have enough brainpower to stick my hand in a fire and I oh god that's hot I ought not do that again rather than sticking my hand back in to jut double check that it's hot

Which is how I'm coming to conclude this rant.... Most staff seem to be stereotyped by a few customers who think they know the world better than others.... And I think it's wrong to say that manners are "on the way out" but I do believe that 95% of customers are the nicest of people and will generally go about their shopping without any complaints, questions or general moanings about staff... With the other 5% being rushed/irritated/tired etc etc

It do believe however that kids are getting worse every year and it seems as if good manners may be a thing of the past at the rate that children begin to curse, get angry and sometimes violent for not getting what they want... But at least they're kids and not adults who have to change the habit of a lifetime, indifference and intolerance :/

But still... People aren't all the same and although I do agree in principle with your point about how manners are slowly but surely seeming less valuable in day to day life... I am a heavy believer that trying to be at least considerate is the way toward a more tolerable society :)

Rant over XD 
Last edited by Phild94 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2681
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I've seen both sides of this.

When I used to work in retail you really got to see the full scale of people - from those who appreciate the effort you go to to make sure they get the best experience possible, to those who think you are there as their own personal slave (I once had a customer click their fingers and say "oi, get over here now"!) I even had customers who barely even acknowledged my existence, despite the fact I had to go and get the shoes they wanted in their size.
The worst I ever saw it in retail was when the company I was working for at the time went into administration. A lot of customers saw that as a sign that it was ok to rant and shout at the shop assistants when we didn't have what they wanted, or when they thought there wasn't a big enough discount. There was even one customer who told us they were glad the shop was closing down and we were losing our jobs! On the flip side, there was some genuinely lovely customers who appreciated the time and effort we took for them, and who could see that we just had to follow instructions from the administrators when we were closing down.

Now I'm in teaching I see students with a wide range of attitudes, and generally this is a reflection of what they are taught by their parents (although this isn't always the case as there are some very supportive parents who are frustrated as they are trying to teach their children some manners but the child just doesn't want to know). This will probably sound strange, but some year groups are better than others. I think because so much attention is drawn to the negative examples it is too easy to forget those who are well mannered and behave.
Image
Image
Image
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Ah, the good old British obsession with manners!

I've worked in retail, fast food and behind the bar and in these positions I have been both both staff and in management, so when I say I have met every specimen of society, I mean it. I've met the loveliest of people, the worst of society and everyone in the middle.

In general manners are falling slightly, but the vast majority of people are perfectly fine. The bad mannered person, is just the type of person who has no respect for people at all and it therefore reflects on them as an individual. Us Brits have always been a little over the top with manners, just now when boarding the train someone bumped into me and we both ended up apologising, even though we both knew perfectly well she has accidentally bumped into me. My issue with today's society is bad customer service. I will normally always end or pause my call before being served as it is a real pet hate of mine having to serve people on the phone, but lately I have found myself deliberately using the phone as an excuse to mask the awkward silence many till agents seem only too happy to have. What happened to sentences instead of 'bag?!' '£6.90?!'

I dispair :lol:
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:29 pm

There's a lot of really interesting views here.

I have to say sometimes I can be that till operative who doesn't wish to converse, purely because I've been called from the job I was doing, half way through doing it, and I'm thinking about everything else I have to get done before the end of the shift, though I do try to keep good service to customers through interaction.

While on about manners... Some of the rudest people I have met were those who have just turned 18 who you ask for ID and they get really narked about it and can be rather gobby. I've learnt now to let things go over my head, I'll never forget one person who said are you accusing me of making this up in the most vicious snarl you have ever heard because she wanted a refund on a reduced cucumber...

Keep your views coming!
 
User avatar
Luce
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1750
Joined: February 2005
Location: Sussex

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:39 pm

I think sometimes there's cases of bad manners/customer service such as Michelle mentioned where retail staff are talking each other while serving.  Personally I find that particularly irritating as they are supposed to focusing on customers rather than themselves but it is a minority :)

One of my local supermarkets for example has some really nice ladies on one of their tills and they always say good morning to me which is a nice start to the day when I'm buying my lunch :)
Image
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2681
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
I'll never forget one person who said are you accusing me of making this up in the most vicious snarl you have ever heard because she wanted a refund on a reduced cucumber...


:O Surely she knew it wouldn't last as long if was reduced!

I once had a lady have a go at me as I refused her a refund on a pair of shoes she wanted to return because when she wore them on a night out her friends had told her they didn't go with her outfit. It got to the point where another customer told her to stop being so rude and to read the returns policy properly!
Image
Image
Image
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 pm

I have to say sometimes I can be that till operative who doesn't wish to converse, purely because I've been called from the job I was doing, half way through doing it, and I'm thinking about everything else I have to get done before the end of the shift, though I do try to keep good service to customers through interaction.


With all due respect Kirsty, as a customer I don't care where you've come from or what you feel you should be doing, as a customer serving member of staff I should be your priority :lol: I've played the juggling game in fast food, where you're attempting to complete a list that's progressively getting longer and people are continuously coming in who need serving. At the end of the day though, those customers are keeping the shop open and therefore paying wages. Bad customer service can kill a business.
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Lee James wrote:
With all due respect Kirsty, as a customer I don't care where you've come from or what you feel you should be doing, as a customer serving member of staff I should be your priority :lol: I've played the juggling game in fast food, where you're attempting to complete a list that's progressively getting longer and people are continuously coming in who need serving. At the end of the day though, those customers are keeping the shop open and therefore paying wages. Bad customer service can kill a business.

You might not care, but I actually do, since invariably I go on a till and then don't get finished on time because I'm then playing catch up. I tend to avoid tills now anyway as I'd rather not give the bad service.

Equally though, on about mobile phones at checkouts, I'm not bothered that you might have an urgent phone call, if I can't interact with you to ask if you're using your own bags, have a loyalty card, want stickers for this and vouchers for that then a regular checkout operator would get it marked against them (I wouldn't I don't think due to being a relief)
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
Lee James wrote:
With all due respect Kirsty, as a customer I don't care where you've come from or what you feel you should be doing, as a customer serving member of staff I should be your priority :lol: I've played the juggling game in fast food, where you're attempting to complete a list that's progressively getting longer and people are continuously coming in who need serving. At the end of the day though, those customers are keeping the shop open and therefore paying wages. Bad customer service can kill a business.

You might not care, but I actually do, since invariably I go on a till and then don't get finished on time because I'm then playing catch up. I tend to avoid tills now anyway as I'd rather not give the bad service.

Equally though, on about mobile phones at checkouts, I'm not bothered that you might have an urgent phone call, if I can't interact with you to ask if you're using your own bags, have a loyalty card, want stickers for this and vouchers for that then a regular checkout operator would get it marked against them (I wouldn't I don't think due to being a relief)


Of course you care, it's your job! But the recipe for good customer service is giving the illusion that for 2 minutes the only concern is that customer, regardless of what else needs doing. Not giving top service because you have a tonne of other stuff, isn't fair on the customer in my opinion. At the heart of every customer based industry must be at least the illusion of the customer, otherwise what is the point in the business itself?

As for the phone thing, just to clarify. I'll only get out my phone and load Facebook or texts so I can override the awkward silence. I'm not a bad customer, but I don't react we'll to awkwardness.
 
User avatar
tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 512
Joined: November 2008
Location: Great Yarmouth...Norfolk

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
There's a lot of really interesting views here.

I have to say sometimes I can be that till operative who doesn't wish to converse, purely because I've been called from the job I was doing, half way through doing it, and I'm thinking about everything else I have to get done before the end of the shift, though I do try to keep good service to customers through interaction.

While on about manners... Some of the rudest people I have met were those who have just turned 18 who you ask for ID and they get really narked about it and can be rather gobby. I've learnt now to let things go over my head, I'll never forget one person who said are you accusing me of making this up in the most vicious snarl you have ever heard because she wanted a refund on a reduced cucumber...

Keep your views coming!


I too work at a supermarket, not mentioning the name (sainsburys) and its until you have worked in a place like that is when you realise "are there really that type of people out there".

I agree totally with the whole phone and I.D malarkey. We are there to do our job n it doesn't hurt to have a bit of good manners to keep of the phone whilst we are serving you. Saying "hello how are you" to a person on the phone is like talking to a brick wall. I could start talking about a whole host of people we get from smelly tramps to people who come and want a refund for such mi-nute things.

Don't get me started on the "customers are always right" cos quite frankly no they arnt.
Basically if I'm treated with respect ill return with the same, the majority of people are awesome but you get some that really grate you.

Best thing ever is when someone asks me "excuse me do you work here?" "No love I just really like walking around the store with a sainsburys uniform on"....  >..<
Image
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm

The phone thing wasn't specifically aimed at you, just a point I raise. I am normally quite a chatty person, and when checkouts and customer service was my department I was all for every customer getting the best service, but now, quite wrongly, there's stuff the store doesn't do to help themselves with Customers around availability (which I will answer in pm if anyone is interested) so I can't help but think we will lose custom to another supermarket chain...anyway enough of a side rant. My point is, (another point) that when you have mánagers who don't seem to care, why should the staff? :( sad state of affairs...
 
User avatar
zippy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 45
Joined: June 2012
Location: The People's Republic of Droitwich Spa

Re: Are manners and common courtesy going down the drain?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:52 pm

When I worked on a checkout part time a few years ago, I always found it rude if a customer was on the phone. I know there is no reason why we should have a conversation, but there is also no need to just ignore me! As a result I never use my mobile when being served in a shop.

I also hate it when people serving in a shop are talking amongst themselves rather than concentrating on the person they are serving, so it really does work both ways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests