UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Theme park stuff that amazes you (e.g. engineering)

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 am

In some sense rideable attractions are like fringe engineering. There is a lot of prototyping going on and I can't really think where else you would trust a huge machine with your life except for vehicles. The industry makes headway and at the same time passes various standards to allow for the public to enter and ride - so I would really like to give some kudos here.

One of the things that amazes me is the magnetic breaking - how the female part is just alligned and just wide enough to accept the male part as it goes over it.
Another thing is the wheel clusters and the way they clamp around the track - it confused me at first - I thought the track should be square-sectioned. I think even nano-meters matter in themepark engineering.

Another more specific thing is the ride system of Tomb Blaster at Chessington - It has like a guide rail aswell as a track that banks to and fro within the main track itself. The train uses the force of the main motor(s) that drive it along, sending a little wheel (that seems to have a tire!) into this rail and track and that is how the individual cars turn at a certain point. I digress a bit, but that whole system is amazing for a dark ride - I don't think people realise the potential of it/how much better it is than the omni-mover for example.

Is there something that particularly fascinates you?
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Theme park stuff that amazes you (e.g. engineering)

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 pm

i find it fascinating how they come up with the ideas and concepts for the themeing on rides.

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm amazed with airs mechanism on the switch track, and when it goes into the flying position... It just is incredible

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Ah yeah I was amazed at that aswell - I didn't think you could have something like that run all day.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:28 pm

The launch system on Rita/Stealth is one thing I would really like to have a behind the scenes tour of, I have seen pictures, but I would love to see it in real life.

Or happy to settle for Th13teen's drop system or Hex.
If you go down to the woods today

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 am

It amazes me how an engineering company gets away with a bolt falling from an attraction  :lol:

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am

yeah, that is quite surprising.
I think the argument might have been that it was just one of many surplus bolts that hold the same pieces together (I hope any way)[edit] I looked just now and it seems to be one of 6 (I think) bolts that hold 2 ends of track together. I'm surprised how small they look.

You wander how it came out, whether it was never tightened or if it vibrated its way out or something. I think it would help everyone if we knew.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:34 am

My issue isn't why. I work in the engineering aspect of the car industry, so I know these things happen, and the stresses are factored in if anything fails. But if we sent a car out and an internal panel split, or the car separated ever so slightly on its spot weld etc there would be days of headlines and investigations. It just surprises me how they manged to get away with it :lol:

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:00 pm

bensaund wrote:
The launch system on Rita/Stealth is one thing I would really like to have a behind the scenes tour of, I have seen pictures, but I would love to see it in real life.

Or happy to settle for Th13teen's drop system or Hex.

I've had a behind the scenes tour of Stealth and it's fascinating to see the massive amount of machinery that makes it launch as well as the cable etc :)

Generally, a lot of the engineering relating to how rides work is really amazing, especially things like Spiderman at IOA and Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

HPATFJ amazes me too. When walking out the exit, somebody asked us what type of ride it was.

And we couldn't tell them! It was indescribable
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Lee wrote:
My issue isn't why. I work in the engineering aspect of the car industry, so I know these things happen, and the stresses are factored in if anything fails. But if we sent a car out and an internal panel split, or the car separated ever so slightly on its spot weld etc there would be days of headlines and investigations. It just surprises me how they manged to get away with it :lol:

It might be something like how the news is forgiving of themeparks in the name of fun - kind of thing. I think its good for small things but if something honestly deserves the attention of the news then there should be no lee way (lol, nice word choice eh).

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
HPATFJ amazes me too. When walking out the exit, somebody asked us what type of ride it was.

And we couldn't tell them! It was indescribable

lol I need to get on that ride - I've seen videos. Each car is on a robot arm on a track. Sadly I seem to have a LOT of trouble leaving the country.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 pm

The amount of wires used and control panels. Someone had to plug all them in, in the right areas.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 am

lol, always gets me when I think about Duel and the little spiders.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I forgot about this but it always gets me - How small but sturdy the track is, especially on a Eurofighter/similar. How the heck can 2 small bars take the weight of 8 people and a ride car?

What kind of steel is that?
Are the bars twisted into shape of molded? I'm guessing twisted!

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Yup, most trak has to be bent in a special way that involves solders, a bender machine and a few other things, you see trak being made in the vekoma GIB documentary
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Being an engineer, I really enjoy the engineering. Especially how all the mechanical and electrical safety interlocks work on the bigger rides. They are like intricate pieces of clockwork, really.

AltonTowersNerd
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:39 pm

The imagination of the ride and what it'll be like once it's done and finished, this goes to the themed areas also.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 pm

The amazing (and useful!) block sections!