UK theme parks from another point of view!

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

The new number grading system

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:16 pm

This is very confusing but I sure if they did introduce it we will understand it soon enough. Well done on your report though!
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The new number grading system

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 pm

The government REALLY needs to make their mind up.  I finished my exams last June and remember being told at the start of the year that we would be the guinea pigs for new things like controlled assesments instead of coursework, then the following year they changed it again and I was told by my teachers that the year below me were the guinea pigs for taking all exams at once and now this (meaning they would have 8 RE topics to revise at once with 12 key words in each for example).  I'm honestly not quite sure what to think anymore.  Tbh, it's a slight struggle to keep up with it all and it's left me guessing which convoluted system my sister is going to be the guinea pig for when she starts Year 10 in 2015.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm

I believe I'm in your sisters year. Current year 8, right? We are completely screwed. Future mucked up because of the government not making up their mind. No fair :(
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Tom.B

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:14 pm

At my school (I'm currently in year 9), we have this number system, but only for A2L and B4L (attitude to learning, and behaviour for learning). The grading we have is the CBA system which I think is pretty much standard in most middle schools. For anyone who doesn't know, you have levels, then sub-levels. For example:
3c
3b
3a
4c
4b
4a
5c
5b
5a
8a

8a is the highest you can get in any subject.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 pm

^We do that sometimes, especially in English and key assessments but our official report grades are 1-5

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Tom.B wrote:
At my school (I'm currently in year 9), we have this number system, but only for A2L and B4L (attitude to learning, and behaviour for learning). The grading we have is the CBA system which I think is pretty much standard in most middle schools. For anyone who doesn't know, you have levels, then sub-levels. For example:
3c
3b
3a
4c
4b
4a
5c
5b
5a
8a

8a is the highest you can get in any subject.

My school has the same number system.

We haven't been told anything about it changing yet.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm going to try an do this without ranting ...

The government can't decide what to do without education and that's ok for them, they're educated, yeah, kids are the future, but they won't be around to see it. The consequences of "parties" and head of parties at each other's throats about education are purely on the kids. In 1988, my dad took the first ever GCSE exam (he started year 10 in 1986), and now, 30 years from then, I shall be expected to do the same. Fortunately for my dad (and mum followed 2 years after), GCSEs seemed slightly easier than the old O levels. However, the new O levels are supposedly harder, and could actually affect my later life. All because a few men at the top can't agree.

Whoops, I think I ranted

Tom.B

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm

From what I understand, GCSEs include both coursework as well as exams, whereas O levels have just one final exam. I think this isn't fair, as what if you have an 'off' day on exam day, or you generally can't cope very well in exam conditions? At least with GCSEs you have the coursework to back you up if you like.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 pm

You have all been very polite with it,but the bottom line is that Michael Gove is being a massive idiot and putting a ot of futures in jeopardy because he is too indecisive to make a good decision,and the scary thing is,he has the governments full support.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

JaykeAT wrote:
You have all been very polite with it,but the bottom line is that Michael Gove is being a massive idiot and putting a ot of futures in jeopardy because he is too indecisive to make a good decision,and the scary thing is,he has the governments full support.

Yeah, this is essentially what I wanted to say, but didn't want to seem like I was moaning :lol:

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:11 am

Tom.B wrote:
From what I understand, GCSEs include both coursework as well as exams, whereas O levels have just one final exam. I think this isn't fair, as what if you have an 'off' day on exam day, or you generally can't cope very well in exam conditions? At least with GCSEs you have the coursework to back you up if you like.

A friend of my Mum's who worked at my school mentioned how terrible the system was for a subject like art.  Any amazing work you do in the 2 years is ignored if you get a final objective that works against your strengths...  And yes, ILC,  my sister is in Year 8.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 am

It's not just us who don't like the changes that could be happening. Most teachers hate him(Michael gove) infact my maths teacher last year spent one lesson taking the Micky out of him!
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm

ILC, I'm also in the same year as you, and I agree that the new grading system is a complete pain. We still get grades like the ones Tom showed for our end of term report cards, but it's going to be annoying having to be the first to try out the new GCSE system. It's all pretty confusing to me, and it kind of feels like we are the guinea pigs testing out the new system in a way. Damn, if only I had been born 23 days earlier, I would be in Year Nine at the moment, and I could take the current GCSEs when I reach Year Eleven! :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

obliviongirl wrote:
if only I had been born 23 days earlier

Then your future wouldn't be unclear and distorted