UK theme parks from another point of view!

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Product Design Forum - I NEED YOU! :)

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi Guys
I'm looking for anyone to help me with opinions and answers on anything I post in this topic, Basically for my A-Level product design A2 project I have been told to find group of people I could design a product in mind of, so I chose you my lovely theme park enthusiasts. I have decided to design then make a shelf/storage unit for theme park merchandise based on Alton towers. Over the coming weeks and months I will be posting into this topic questions and designs and I basically need you guys to comment with answers, suggestions and Idea's, I will take them all on board. This is needed as the opinions and answers of others a key part of the coursework, plus you guys get the chance to be a part of creating something amazing. As the final idea you guys help to decide on will get made. So please help me out the more the merrier. I welcome short or long opinions. First I just want to gauge how much interest there will be in helping me.
(I have asked Adz permission to do this :D )

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Product Design Forum - I NEED YOU! :)

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:06 pm

I'll definitely help :D I'm studying product design at uni in September so I'm interested :)!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

I will try and help in any way I can

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm

I'd be happy to help :)

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:47 pm

I'll help where I can :)

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:00 pm

I will help where I can just finished my A2 product design on a ride at Alton Towers so I know how hard the process is, good luck :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 am

Amazing response thanks guys, I'll post my first pieces I'll need opinions of on Monday/Tuesday so just look out for any new posts in here and once again thank you :)

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm subscribed so I won't miss a post :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Questions - don't need to answer all questions but details would be nice :) they are open questions just make sure you write which questions your answering :)

Where would your shelf be situated should you own one?

What theme park merchandise would you like to display ?

Would you want any electrical features on the shelf such as LED’s or sounds if possible?

Would you like the wall fixture to be hidden or visible ?

Do you own any theme park bears? If so how many?

That's all for now folks Thank You :)

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:05 pm

If i owned the shelf, i would probably put it in my office at work.

I Personally don't really collect merchandise, but the couple of bits i do have are the Oxford Diecast ride car models. A lot of people do collect the resins though. So you could design a shelf unit for the resin's. And have little grooves cut out for each individual resin.

Would you want any electrical features on the shelf such as LED’s or sounds if possible?

No, is the simple answer to that. A shelf is a shelf at the end of the day.

Hidden. Maybe something like picture hooks could be a good idea. Just something stronger.

N/A

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:20 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Questions - don't need to answer all questions but details would be nice :) they are open questions just make sure you write which questions your answering :)

I own no theme park bears.

An Led would be good. Something to stop me bumping into the shelf at night... :lol

I would display my key chains. I have a grand collection of 2. :lol

The shelf would go in my room. Somewhere.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

If I had a shelf I would put it on my bedroom wall.

I would display a range of stationary and teddies. Keyrings, wristbands or bracelets.

If it was possible I'd love some LED spotlights attached to the shelf above so it's brightens up the items I have on each shelf, and would attract anyone to look at the shelf that came in to my room. I would be cool if a little button hidden on the inner side of the shelf that could be pressed and play a tiny portion of a rides theme tune, or even AT theme tune, maybe lasting 5-10 seconds.

I own one AT teddy bear and some disney teddies. Although I'm looking to expand this. I enjoy collecting them, and personal reasons are the reason for this.

Hope this helps :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Thank you for those quick and detailed responses, wonderful they really do help! more are welcome though the more the better my analysis can be :)

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Bedroom

Probably have a shelf with some on ride photos and then other AT toys etc.

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:11 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:

1. On my bedroom wall
2. Resins, photos, and maybe stationery
3. Maybe LED's around each resin
4. Hidden
5. Nope, none

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Probably my bedroom

Theme Park pictures and bears

LED's would make a pretty addition

Visible

One at the moment, though I will soon have the whole collection :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Ok, so I know it's been a while since Ive posted in this topic, Ive had a lot of research and explanation work etc to do before I could begin design work but the time has come to reveal my design idea's. What I would like for all you lovely people is feedback on your top 4/5 favourite designs just a few short sentences about each one why you like it but also how it could be improved :) You don't have to do 4/5 that is just how many I would ideally like from each person just so I can build data etc from the feedback but you can just select one or two or even more if you wish the more the merrier!! I have number coordinated each design so that when posting comments you can easily say which one you are talking about :) You may have to zoom in on the each design to read the notes but you don't have to they just further describe each idea further about the function and detailed notes helping to visual the product. I'm also open to answering any questions posted below too :) Thank You in advance!

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:47 pm

Personally I think that design ideas 1, 4, 6 and 10 the beast. My favourite one is definitely number 6, ill put them in order of preference

6- I like this one so much because its so quirky. What better way to store your Alton Towers merchandice than in Alton Towers? I also like the design because of its simplicity- it shouldn't be too hard to make, but looks the part and I would buy it if I saw it on a shelf in TowersStreet. Maybe if you added slots for the Lazer Etched Glass Paperweights it would be better- I have collected both the Thorpe, Alton and Smiler blocks among others. I think that would be an excellent way to showcase them, especially if it had LED lights underneath each hole

4- its a smiler carriage. I mean, come on, that great. The idea is good, it fits the current focus of Alton Towers at the moment, and its very suitable for the target audience you have, which is of course tourists and MAP holders. I think that its quite fitting. Your idea of having the Smiler music is smart- although it is hard to get your hands on. I think the LEDs would be better suited in another design though... you dont want to overcomplicate it, amd of course with all the electronic add-ons you would need batteries for it.

1- Another great idea...again quite simple in its look and the design can fit in pretty much in any room you want it to. I think the concelt is good, and you could even add a strip of lights down the actual track section for that extra wow factor. Maybe it would look more impressive if the track was twisting, if u want I can show u what I mean over PM or something. Simple but effective, and it is very general as everyone who has ridden a rollercoaster and liked it could buy that.

10- I find this one good as its very useable in a range of circumstances, as in it canbe used either for theme park keyrings/memorabilia, or (for example) as a key rack or another thing like this. Sorry this answer is shorter than the others, I need to go soon.

in response to your original questions-
My shelf would be over my wall above my bed, so I can see it whenever I am about to sleep and think of the good times
I would display my collection of Paperweights and my keyrings, and maybe my old MAP as well as my Blivvy hat and my set of pens (they ran out a long time ago)
Id go for LEDs but probably nothing else unless it amused me, and the LEDs would have to be low power so I didnt have to keep changing the batteries
I wouldnt mind about the wall fixture, sorry I dont really have a preference but being a 15 year old boy generally wall fixtures dont really concern me
I do not have any theme park bears, although I know nobody would be suprised with me if I did.

Hope this is helpful and if you need anything else dont hesitate to PM or add another post in here!
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:18 am

TheBeast wrote:
Personally I think that design ideas 1, 4, 6 and 10 the beast. My favourite one is definitely number 6, ill put them in order of preference

6- I like this one so much because its so quirky. What better way to store your Alton Towers merchandice than in Alton Towers? I also like the design because of its simplicity- it shouldn't be too hard to make, but looks the part and I would buy it if I saw it on a shelf in TowersStreet. Maybe if you added slots for the Lazer Etched Glass Paperweights it would be better- I have collected both the Thorpe, Alton and Smiler blocks among others. I think that would be an excellent way to showcase them, especially if it had LED lights underneath each hole

4- its a smiler carriage. I mean, come on, that great. The idea is good, it fits the current focus of Alton Towers at the moment, and its very suitable for the target audience you have, which is of course tourists and MAP holders. I think that its quite fitting. Your idea of having the Smiler music is smart- although it is hard to get your hands on. I think the LEDs would be better suited in another design though... you dont want to overcomplicate it, amd of course with all the electronic add-ons you would need batteries for it.

1- Another great idea...again quite simple in its look and the design can fit in pretty much in any room you want it to. I think the concelt is good, and you could even add a strip of lights down the actual track section for that extra wow factor. Maybe it would look more impressive if the track was twisting, if u want I can show u what I mean over PM or something. Simple but effective, and it is very general as everyone who has ridden a rollercoaster and liked it could buy that.

10- I find this one good as its very useable in a range of circumstances, as in it canbe used either for theme park keyrings/memorabilia, or (for example) as a key rack or another thing like this. Sorry this answer is shorter than the others, I need to go soon.

in response to your original questions-
My shelf would be over my wall above my bed, so I can see it whenever I am about to sleep and think of the good times
I would display my collection of Paperweights and my keyrings, and maybe my old MAP as well as my Blivvy hat and my set of pens (they ran out a long time ago)
Id go for LEDs but probably nothing else unless it amused me, and the LEDs would have to be low power so I didnt have to keep changing the batteries
I wouldnt mind about the wall fixture, sorry I dont really have a preference but being a 15 year old boy generally wall fixtures dont really concern me
I do not have any theme park bears, although I know nobody would be suprised with me if I did.

Hope this is helpful and if you need anything else dont hesitate to PM or add another post in here!

Thank you for such an in depth response those comments will help so much! I will take them on board and put it in my analysis of the idea's. As from here I now have to choose a further three to develop and from those 3 choose one to actually make so I will if you like keep you updated and then finally show you the final product :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Been a while since I posted in this topic, however since I last posted, I decided to make design number 4 and below I'm going to post some pictures of the progress I've made so far.