UK theme parks from another point of view!

What is the best Alton Towers rollercoaster?

The Smiler
11 (31%)
Thi3teen
1 (3%)
Rita
No votes
Sonic Spinball
No votes
Air
3 (8%)
Blivvy
5 (14%)
Nemmy
16 (44%)
Runaway Mine Train
No votes

Total votes: 36

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Best Alton Towers Rollercoaster

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Go on...im curious. What is the top Alton Towers ride for the TT forumers?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Best Alton Towers Rollercoaster

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Blivvy all the way. Probably followed by Nemmy, then Air or the Smiler.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 pm

I went Smiler but instantly regret it...Nemmy will always be in my heart ;)

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Nemmy for me, its close with The Smiler but Nemmy is my personal choice.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:04 am

Hence the signature ;)

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 am

I went for The Smiler on the basis that if I could ride one more coaster at the end of the day after doing them all, it would be The Smiler. The Smiler wins purely for layout and not theming as I dont rate The Smilers theming that highly. I personally like RMTs theming best. I dont really think Nemesis has great theming, as I consider most of it to be just excellently done landscaping, especially since the red 'blood' stopped.

Jamster42
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 am

Nemy for being the only coaster to leave me breathless.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Neme21s then Smiler.... For last place - octonauts (just joking) Air.

chris_c_4
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:29 am

I'd say The Smiler, with Nemesis very close behind it, just becaue I really like the whole theme of The Smiler. Also I generally prefer sit down coasters to inverted :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Chris :)

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:48 pm

I've actually said Air, though Nemmy and Blivvy are very very very close, in fact my favourite tends to chop and change amongst those... Less keen on The Smiler

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 am

It always has to be Nemesis for me, in my opinion it's as close to perfection as Alton Towers has ever come with a new ride. The layout is amazing, the pacing of the various elements, the speed through the heavily banked helix and just the way it interacts with it's landscape. That is what I think lifts Nemesis up above all of the other coasters at Alton Towers.

I would say that second place would go to Oblivion, it's simple but hugely effective. I remember being absolutely terrified by it the first time I stood underneath that drop. The various theming elements and videos across the whole area all work together to deliver something quite impressive, I don't think this all works as well though these days with The Smiler being directly opposite. Personally, X Sector just doesn't feel as intimidating as it did say 5 years ago, I think this is partially down to The Smiler but also maybe just part of growing up too.

I really like Th13teen, I think it's a solid ride that is quite well themed, just the marketing let it down hugely. We new all along that it wasn't going to be an all out thrill machine. I don't know why they tried to market it this way, it led to a lot of negativity that could of easily been avoided.

The Smiler, is a great roller coaster, it's intense and it does what it was intended to do very well. The theming is well done, even if there is too much grey concrete and the various effects aren't always working. I just don't find it all that fun to ride repeatedly, not in the same way as the others.

Air is also a great ride, but I feel it was let down by an incongruous choice of theming and a layout that is really far too short and lacks anything really forceful. Obviously it was an expensive and complex prototype and there were limits to what could be done with it, but I just think they could of done a little bit more.

The other three I don't think are in the same league as the above. They are all fun rides, however with the exception of RMT they lack the thought and attention to detail that have gone into the other coasters. That's not to say they aren't welcome additions to the park, they are most definitely, and as you can see from typical queue times they are very popular with the general public. I just don't think you can group them with the Secret Weapon type rides.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. :)

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Nemesis for me too - it definitely beats the others in my view although Oblivion comes a close second. It's always been my top coaster at Alton Towers and that helix is just fab and my favourite element of the ride :)

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 16, 2015 8:43 pm

I would say The Smiler. It is record breaking, and I know it has its issues but it honestly is good fun.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Oblivion fan boy here through and through. Has the best view of the surrounding countryside and then an exhilarating drop made even better at night and I for one am happy with it, I know a lot of dive coasters have inversions now but imo it doesn't need it. "It does exactly what it says on the tin".
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:36 am

Nemesis is my favourite coaster ever built. It is very intense, fast and powers through the inversions.

Second goes to Oblivion. The drop seems to get better every time and the lift hill is one of the most intimidating moments on a UK ride.

Then it's The Smiler because it throws you in every direction and you feel disorientated half way through.

Th13teen is also a great coaster because it offers a bit of everything. It has an outdoor section, a backwards section and a track drop.

The only good thing about Rita is the intensity of the launch. It then turns into a fight against pain.

Air, whilst a great ride, isn't in my top 5. I find it uncomfortable and rough...

Then is Mine-train. It is actually quite fun and entertains the whole family.

Octonauts comes penultimate leaving an obvious choice for my least favourite ;)

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Mine has to go to Nemmy, the forces and the great layout are brilliant, and how the landscape is so perfectly done is amazing. Following that it would have to be the Smiler, as it generally has a decent layout from that tangle of track. I also remember being terrified of the thing (no idea why) but I really liked it :)

RMT has to win on theming, the station and queue are so well themed, as with Congo RR (not as much) and is a good family ride.