UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Nintendo Switch

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:36 pm

As many of you know the Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's brand new hybrid console, and now we know what the console will be like I was wondering how everyone felt about it. Below is a round up of what the device is!

What is it?

The console is the first hybrid machine on the market, which combines aspects from Nintendo's other products such as the GameCube, Wii, Wii U and DS. This means you can play games on the go and on your TV using the "Joy-Con" controllers that can slide on and off the device. You an play in three modes; TV Mode which allows you to place the console in a dock and play your favourite games just like an average console, Portable Mode where you slide the Joy-Con controllers onto the side of the console and play using the 6.2 inch touchscreen display, or finally in Table Top Mode where you can hold each Joy-Con individually and use the console as a screen. A downfall however is that in Portable and Table Top mode, battery life is estimated 2.5 - 6.5 hours dependant on the activity, although it is expected games will run at 60fps and in full HD on TV and 720p on the touchscreen display.

What's a "Joy-Con"?

Joy-Con's are the controllers you use to control the Switch device. They can be used together or individually in co-op games, however there are some interesting parts to these little things. The left Joy-Con has a small button near the bottom, this is to capture screenshots and screen recordings of your Switch games, however the right controller is much more interesting. The right controller has an infra-red sensor at the bottom which allows the controller to detect distances and movement making for more accurate motion based game play. Speaking of which, both these controllers feature motion controls seen with Wii Remotes which allow you to play games using motion based controls. Finally, these also have "HD Rumble" which is a brand new rumble feature that can simulate something as small as ice cube moving in a glass and water pouring. You can use the Joy-Con's like a Wii remote, slide them into a grip to form a traditional controller or even attach them to the console itself.

What games are being made available?

Plenty of games re being released throughout the year, below are some.

- Zelda: Breath of The Wild (March 3rd)
- 1-2-Switch (March 3rd)
- Super Bomberman R (March 3rd)
- ARMS (April 15th)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28th)
- Splatoon 2 (August 18th)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Winter)
- The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim
- Fifa
- Minecraft Nintendo Switch Edition & Story Mode
- Lego City Undercover
- Farming Simulator 17
As well as many more titles (80+) such as Project Sonic 2017 in development.

Games are also saved onto cartridges as opposed to disks, which is more durable and compact for portability.

What are it's online capabilities?

The Switch will finally introduce a system similar to Xbox Live where you can voice chat and share gameplay with others. The price of this service is yet to be stated however the first few months are set to be free to all.

How Much is it and what's in the box?

Currently, the console is listed as £279.99. Personally I don't think that is too bad (the accessories is where it gets you!). In the box you get the Switch & power cable, the TV Dock, 2 Joy-Cons, Joy-Con Grip and HDMI cable. The console is also available in Grey or Neon Blue & Red.

So, what do you think of the Nintendo Switch and will you be buying one? I'd be fast though, stock is selling fast!
Last edited by Owen on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Nintendo Switch

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm excited about it, I've always been a big Nintendo fan and have spent countless hours playing on their other consoles (with the exception of the Wii U). It looks like an interesting concept and I would like to try it, can't justify preordering even though I'd really like to!

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:50 pm

*sees Skyrim*

AAAAAAAAAAAA!

Now I'm excited. Though I'm still much of a PC gamer :P

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:05 pm

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I'm a MASSIVE Nintendo fan (my favourite consoles are nintendo) and I can say that I'm PUMPED for the switch! My families first system was an N64, I then got a DS, DSi, 3DS XL, 2DS, Wii and a Wii U! 85% of my savings go towards my gaming so I can play new nintendo stuff (in fact I got Fire Emblem Fates today) and no doubt about it I will get the switch!..... Not at launch though as I want to wait for more games to come out and the price to go down.

I've been waiting sooooooo long for Zelda: Breath of the Wild to come out and I can't wait for it to arrive! I think it maybe time for an avatar change soon! :D
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:42 pm

The launch line up has been confirmed as the following.

Zelda - Breath of The Wild
1-2-Switch
Super Bomberman R
Just Dance 2017
Skylanders Imaginiators
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
I Am Setsuna

Other titles include -

Later in March

Snipperclips - Cut It Out, Together!
Fast RMX
Has-Been Heroes

April

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS

Spring

Puyopuyo Tetris
Disgaea 5 Complete
Rime
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
Redout
Sonic Mania

Summer

Splatoon 2

Autumn

NBA 2K18 (September)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Winter

Super Mario Odyssey

TBC 2017

Nintendo

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Embelem Warriors
Pokemon Switch (Temporary Title)

Third Party

Steep
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
Syberia 3
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Fifa
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Project Octopath Traveler
Project Sonic 2017
Taiko Drum Master
Untitled Blazblue game
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
Yooka-Laylee
Minecraft Story Mode – The Complete Adventure
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Lego City Undercover
Arcade Archives
Constructor HD
Cube Life: Island Survival HD
Dungeon of Zaar
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Untitled No More Heroes sequel
Riverside
The Sacred Hero
Seasons of Heaven
Shovel Knight
Stardew Valley
Sunu Ikkibu: Din Nahu
Tank It!
Untitled "Tales of" Game
Shin Megami Tensei

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:37 pm

To start off with, the concept on the Nintendo Switch excites me to no end. It's fantastic that we can have the ability to play both at home on a larger screen and on the go, eliminating the need for buying two consoles, two versions of every game and having to replace two sets of consoles and games when the next generation comes out, and all for a fraction of the price of a single console from many other companies. The Joy-Cons look really useful and I think the console is, as a concept, the very best of everything Nintendo brought together into one.

The primary reason I will not be purchasing a Nintendo Switch is that the games currently confirmed to be releasing with it or soon after it, while undoubtedly fun games which I would possibly buy and play, none of them make the console worth buying for me. I haven't purchased a new console in ages, and I really can't see myself playing any of the new games enough to warrant buying the Switch. Not that Nintendo haven't tried - the titles on offer will clearly captivate a lot of people (I know loads of people will be buying the Switch just for portable Skyrim :P). They just aren't console sellers for me.

A real shame, hopefully some more enticing titles pop up soon.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.